200 plus yrds?

This is not my post, So I will keep it brief. (HA!)

Shooting long range with airguns, has been a passion of mine for 10+ years. I hardly ever shoot any kind of PB anymore, Even rimfires stay in the safe. If I need to get rid of a varmint it’s either an air gun, or a shotgun.

when someone gets on a channel, and acts like an expert, and then calls the activity “not relevant”. I really start to question their purpose. It’s a very negative comment. And then when you said it’s something you really haven’t spent much time on….no comment.

I was in high school in the 70s. So you’re older and more set in your ways than I am. I think you could bring something to the long range Chanel, But I would suggest you give it a try like you did back in the 70s, and learn from some of the people on this forum who are pushing the envelope. Join us, give it a shot.

I would love to see some groups of yours in three months with slugs at 150 yards…

Right now to me you’re coming off as a bit of a troll. There’s a piece of me that doesn’t think you’re doing it on purpose. If you’re not, this topic must interest you.

mike

This is not my post, So I will keep it brief. (HA!)

Shooting long range with airguns, has been a passion of mine for 10+ years. I hardly ever shoot any kind of PB anymore, Even rimfires stay in the safe. If I need to get rid of a varmint it’s either an air gun, or a shotgun.

when someone gets on a channel, and acts like an expert, and then calls the activity “not relevant”. I really start to question their purpose. It’s a very negative comment. And then when you said it’s something you really haven’t spent much time on….no comment.

I was in high school in the 70s. So you’re older and more set in your ways than I am. I think you could bring something to the long range Chanel, But I would suggest you give it a try like you did back in the 70s, and learn from some of the people on this forum who are pushing the envelope. Join us, give it a shot.

I would love to see some groups of yours in three months with slugs at 150 yards…

Right now to me you’re coming off as a bit of a troll. There’s a piece of me that doesn’t think you’re doing it on purpose. If you’re not, this topic must interest you.

mike

mike: you are a far nicer person than me….obviously. I’m younger and still working full time so I’ll take that as an excuse to be “short on time”.😅 

Fortunately my work provides the ability to pay for all the toys with this little hobby but unfortunately I have to work hard at it, still working on a Friday night thanks to working on technologies. AGN does provide some entertainment and distraction when I need some. 

"when someone gets on a channel, and acts like an expert"

Interesting. Sorta like those keyboard shooters mentioned elsewhere.

"Flintsack-

I would now like to support everything Bandg has been saying…

It takes me quite a few shots to hit one tin can in the wind. Look how close the Misses are again and again. Keep in mind I can’t hold the rifle like I normally would, and I’m looking at the screen on my phone while I’m shooting. I would like to think holding the gun in my preferred method would allow better shooting.

However, if you’ve never tried shooting in the wind at 200 yards it’s kind of fun to watch.

mike

https://vimeo.com/562519712"

That was the first time I offered the olive branch…

On the same exact post I had also copied and pasted a video where I hit three cans in a row. I like to show reality, and both sides of the argument.

There is really nothing to debate here. It’s just some guy is trying to shoot out at long range, and see what we can do.

have some fun…Go where man has never gone before. 
mike

Bigfish, I can’t get 200 yards at my range, just 130. If it’s dead calm I have great luck with my Rapid .20 and have shot some great groups. But if there’s any wind at all the tiny 13.75 pellets are useless that far out. I have a Crown in .25 and a .30 as well and they are far better for long range if conditions aren’t perfect. The difference between the .20 and the others is recoil. The Crowns are very accurate but not as easy to shoot as the .20 caliber in my opinion. The guys shooting slugs are convincing me that I need a slug gun. So if it were me and I was going to get a 200 yard gun it would be a RedWolf .177 or .22 set up for the best slug. By the way, what kind of fish are you holding in your picture? Fishing is almost as good as shooting!!

Every once in awhile I'll have to take a "Long Range" shot at a crow or group of pigeons on the farms... I try to keep my average shots to around 27-69 yards...But sometimes I am required to reach out further to around 69-179 yards, and I want to know that I will be accurate so as to not injure my quarry...To help me shot 60 plus yards and up, I use a bubble level to make sure that I am not canting my gun...I like the Long Range Arms, LRA Send iT, it has a LED level along with a really good sprite level also...it is absolutely fantastic, and a great bit of kit!... I did a review on my "New" YouTube Channel

I hope this will be helpful to those that want to... and are shooting out to longer and longer ranges!

Cheers, Mark

Farm Pest Management-Airgun

YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-YhM-KoIjg&t=135s

This is a reply to all...

After reading everyone's comments, I would like to add that I have been shooting airguns since I was 11 years old..I am now 66 years old and loving every time I go out and shoot. I started in the U.K on the farms around my parents house, shooting the crows and pigeons for the farmers. I was taught to "never get cocky" when taking quarry...I would never attempt "Back in the day", to take a long distance shot with my sub 12lbs air-rifle (Fast Forward To Today) But look at the incredible breakthroughs that we have seen just in the last ten years...The airgun industry and community is breaking new grounds with airguns... and I for one embrace every new gadget and technology that is advancing our industry! I would never think to take out my old Daystate PH6 .25 or my AA S410 Extra FAC and take a 150-200 yards shot...but with my FX Impact MK11 .30cal with the 700mm barrel shooting 43.8 grain NSA Slugs at 967fps, plus the fact that I use this gun daily at work...well, I don't need to tell you how ridiculously accurate that gun, and a few other high-end gun perform, enabling you to take such long distant shots accurately, safely and humanely!

I still like to take out and shoot my old guns, and I know their limits along with my limits shooting them...I still get a very deep enjoyment shooting them...but you cannot compare the Two schools (old and new technology) with just one gun...

If we all enjoy what we shoot, where we shoot and how we shoot...That's what it really all comes down to...

Cheers, Mark

Farm Pest Management-Airgun

Dont fool yourself! No airgun is good at 200 yards. You FPS will be nothing and your pellet will be unstable. You will be lobbing that piece of lead to 200 yard target.

my lowly 29 grain slugs will still have 23 FPE at 300 yards, I wouldn’t call that nothing.

That is something I agree, but accuracy at that range is still a BIG issue.

If a bird flies anywhere near your trajectory and farts, your shot is ruined!!

IMHO

Dont fool yourself! No airgun is good at 200 yards. You FPS will be nothing and your pellet will be unstable. You will be lobbing that piece of lead to 200 yard target.

my lowly 29 grain slugs will still have 23 FPE at 300 yards, I wouldn’t call that nothing.

That is something I agree, but accuracy at that range is still a BIG issue.

If a bird flies anywhere near your trajectory and farts, your shot is ruined!!

IMHO

valid point at 300m, maybe one day I get better at it but for now I won’t even attempt to shoot at anything at 300 yards. 

But 200 yards however is quite a bit different. At 200 yards the lowly 29 grain slug will still have 30FPE and only 7 inch of drift with 5mph wind at 90 degrees, that is VERY doable! I will have no issues hunt pests at that distance of condition is relatively consistent. As I’m switching to to 34.9 slugs at 200 yards there will be 40fpe and only 6 inches of wind drift with 5mph wind, that’s less than length of a pigeon, no problem at all!