200-500 yards hunting with airgun ethical?

All my hunting are under 100 yards. Because I feel beyond that is just a guessing game and most time will not humanely kill the animals. As a kid, I remember being 10-11 year old, I would use my crosman 2100 .177 cal and shoot birds in a tall tree that is like 4-6 houses away. I dont know the exact range but it is far for a airgun at the time. Most shots would be missing the birds. When I do get a hit, I can hear the impact and see feathers flying and the birds would fly away. I would be so happy and smiling just cause I got a hit. I didn't care about injuries to the animals not knowing if it was humanely killed or suffering slow death. All I care was being able to hit a animal really far away. Now fast forward 20 years later. I would never take a shot that I know I couldn't humanely take the animal out. It isn't about who can hit a animal the farthest and have the world title of farthest kill. But watching these YouTube videos, I see bunch of grown up men taking shots that are 200 to 500 yards. We don't know how many of those shots didn't humanely kill the animals. They only show the good kill ones. But in the videos you can see them cheering and yelling when they make contact with the animals 200 plus yards. Reminds me of what I was as a kid. But watching those videos at my age now, I dont think that is ethical to shoot and hoping to hit a living animals at such a distance. It is like a disgrace to treat animals like trash and humans are above all animals. When I hunt and make a kill, I respect the animal for dying to give me food. But that's just me. What do you guys thinking about this game of who can hit the animals at the farthest distance. Is that really hunting or is that bunch of fools playing kids game.

This topic has been “batted around” here on AGN before. Some will draw a distinction depending on what type of critters are being shot at. I believe in humane kills even for rats. When I first started pesting the farmers didn’t care where I hit them, but I do. All you can do is continue to hunt/pest ethically and call it a day. Others will do as they will. For me airgunning is like bow hunting, the thrill of getting close to your prey.

This topic has been “batted around” here on AGN before. Some will draw a distinction depending on what type of critters are being shot at. I believe in humane kills even for rats. When I first started pesting the farmers didn’t care where I hit them, but I do. All you can do is continue to hunt/pest ethically and call it a day. Others will do as they will. For me airgunning is like bow hunting, the thrill of getting close to your prey.
Yes even rats deserves a clean kill. Not hit to the stomach running back into his home and dying a slow death or suffering for a few days before passing. All animals should be treated as a living creature and not as a target practice. Thats just me.

Reactions: BackStop
@Airmanator I think the question of ethics has been discussed to death on the forums. If you don’t believe it, try running an AGN search. You can read opinions on the topic to your hearts content. Trust me they’re there. Some threads even got locked during the spirited course of discussion.

After reading your post, I couldn’t help but notice you talk about shooting birds as a child and comparing your boyhood enthusiasm to grown men on YouTube shooting animals at a distance and cheering. The men you describe don’t sound like hunters. They sound like they’re shooting pest animals (pester’s). If they’re pesting they’re providing some property owner or their state a service. You also stated “When I hunt and make a kill, I respect the animal for dying to give me food.” I think that’s admirable, but I don't think many pester’s are going to eat a lot of the animals they're after. Also, all hunters don’t hunt for food. Some kill animals for sport and give the meat away, others leave them for scavengers. Then there are poachers, but we won’t broach that subject any further. Some law-abiding citizens are only concerned with what's legal and sometimes what's legal isn't always ethical and in accordance with the mores and ethics of citizens.

Now let’s try to put this principle of ethics in perspective. A house fly that has come into your home, that you don’t want around your food or any person or pets’s wounds, how concerned are you about how you kill it? Whether it be via chemical spray, swatting at it multiple times until batting it out of the air and smashing it when you find it somewhere on the floor flying sideways in circles, etc. How about ants that make their way into your home and get into your trash, food, or sink? These are animals too right? Or how about a little Disney looking mouse that you may swat at with a broom or set a spring trap or sticky trap to catch? (S)he’s probably going to suffer in said trap. Well I’m inclined to believe that some folks see larger pests animals similarly and killing them is legal in some states or regions. Point being that ethics are principles that licensed hunters are taught through Hunter’s Education courses, by other responsible adults, and responsible hhunters. I think that ethics function as a guide similar to morals. How one chooses to abide by and adhere to them is an ongoing series of personal choices. Where we draw the line(s) is a personal choice. Some may look at a smal insects differently than they do a prairie dog, ground hog, or ground squirrels. The fact remains that they are all animals. Just another perspective to consider. Like I said. consider searching the threads, there are plenty of opinions in various AGN threads on this topic.

Last edited:
No. At those distances they are just trying to hit stuff. That’s a win for them. Don’t let it bother you because you aren’t changing it. The only pest that I have the least amount of hunting ethics for is a coyote. But I still try to take them clean. It’s a personal standard. A hit for me is a failure. A clean kill, even if it’s a rat is success. If I’m shooting at any animal over 150 yards, I use a real gun that I’m not stretching its capabilities.

After 100 yards, if it has a heartbeat I switch to powder ever time, period. No shot placement talk for me, I know my personal limits for hunting. Under 100y I am comfortable with the right caliber and energy with air because I practice and tune for this distance. Members are right the ethical questions comes up a lot. This is GOOD. It should be asked. I don’t might replying every time with a healthy opinion. VetMX says often, Airguns simply do not replace powder, and he’s right, obviously. Too much confidence in air power and projectile energy dispatching an animal ethically at the OP stated distance of 200y or more is not normal airgun stuff. Maybe on YouTube with a world class shooter perhaps. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Here is my position. Shooting an animal for entertainment is sick. That is ethical.
You just described most of the hunting community. Hunting/pesting is a form of entertainment for most. It depends on how the person is entertained. If they’re excited because they just got a headshot on a bird at 102 yards I don’t see a problem with that. Now if they are just wounding animals and relishing over this animal’s suffering then perhaps they should be admitted into the cuckoos nest.

What’s ethical is just an opinion though. If we’re dealing with just facts, a more fitting question would be: Is a 200-500y shot intelligent? For the most part, it’s about as intelligent as trying to chop down a tree with a pocket knife.

Reactions: abqjoe
You just described most of the hunting community. Hunting/pesting is a form of entertainment for most.

What’s ethical is just an opinion though. If we’re dealing with just facts, a more fitting question would be: Is a 200-500y shot intelligent? For the most part, it’s about as intelligent as trying to chop down a tree with a pocket knife.

I think that this thought is a little flawed but only to me (dont take offense please). I am an avid animal lover, give me animals over humans any day. However I do find fun in pesting, why? because I feel small farms need every hand they can get, it also serves a purpose, I did not pick up my rifle and just walk the woods dropping critters and leave them there. If there is no purpose, then I am not for it. However thats just my thought on this one particular thought.

I have also come to realize I myself would not take a shot past 100 yards with an airgun on anything.

I think that this thought is a little flawed but only to me (dont take offense please). I am an avid animal lover, give me animals over humans any day. However I do find fun in pesting, why? because I feel small farms need every hand they can get, it also serves a purpose, I did not pick up my rifle and just walk the woods dropping critters and leave them there. If there is no purpose, then I am not for it. However thats just my thought on this one particular thought.

I have also come to realize I myself would not take a shot past 100 yards with an airgun on anything.
No offense taken at all. Which part do you find flawed?

No offense taken at all. Which part do you find flawed?
Really hard to explain but I think it may be my interpretation , as well as how others may interpret it. When I read the first line I just thought "wow I don't think most of the hunting community is just out there to kill animals just to kill.." although I could be wrong , I have never hunted anything up until this year (pesting) so not all that familiar with the hunting community.

I guess, you are right, it just has to be looked at in the context of each given situation... thats the best I can come up with right now :LOL:

Most hunters in America are doing so for the sport of it. Most don’t have to hunt to provide food for their family but yet there’s a multi million dollar industry that relies on people wanting to hunt for sport. Sure there are some who pest to conserve nature or protect live stock but I don’t think that’s the majority of hunters.

Do you not get entertained when you get a perfect shot on a squirrel?

I can certainly understand the “fun” or “entertainment” in shooting animals. My personal Hunter Ethics don’t allow me to do that. Leaving pests aside, I will not kill any animal that I am not going to eat. That’s on me. I do not try to apply my own ethics to other people.

Now, some people HATE squirrels. For me, despite ongoing battles with squirrels trying to get inside my bird feeders, no squirrel has ever done anything to me that called for death sentence. On the other hand, lots of people love chipmunks. I hate the dam things. They gnaw away at the liners around my Koi pond, they eat all the fruit on the small citrus trees and tomato plants on my deck, etc. Even my wife, not known for her love of things that shoot (🫤) encourages me to shoot them.

But back to the original question. I cannot imagine taking an ethical airgun shot at an animal beyond 100 yards. At least, not with my airguns (Impacts, Crowns, Leshiy 2 in .22 to .30). Frankly, for most people, a 100 yard shot with a firearm is questionable. Can it be done, sure. Should it be done? Not in my opinion.

Do you not get entertained when you get a perfect shot on a squirrel?

To me that is an entertainment caused by the feeling of a job well done and a skill well honed. I am not just walking out my back door and popping a squirrel in the head and going **** ya nailed that sucker just to put a round in his head.

I can certainly understand the “fun” or “entertainment” in shooting animals. My personal Hunter Ethics don’t allow me to do that. Leaving pests aside, I will not kill any animal that I am not going to eat. That’s on me. I do not try to apply my own ethics to other people.

Now, some people HATE squirrels. For me, despite ongoing battles with squirrels trying to get inside my bird feeders, no squirrel has ever done anything to me that called for death sentence. On the other hand, lots of people love chipmunks. I hate the dam things. They gnaw away at the liners around my Koi pond, they eat all the fruit on the small citrus trees and tomato plants on my deck, etc. Even my wife, not known for her love of things that shoot (🫤) encourages me to shoot them.

But back to the original question. I cannot imagine taking an ethical airgun shot at an animal beyond 100 yards. At least, not with my airguns (Impacts, Crowns, Leshiy 2 in .22 to .30). Frankly, for most people, a 100 yard shot with a firearm is questionable. Can it be done, sure. Should it be done? Not in my opinion.
You think a 100 yard shot with a firearm is questionable??? I've shot animals dead on at over 170 yards with muzzleloaders. Hit right where I was aiming. I shot a boar with a lever action 45-70 with open sights at 150 yards that dropped on the spot.. Beyond 100 yards may be questionable for you but I wouldn't place that restriction on others.

You just described most of the hunting community. Hunting/pesting is a form of entertainment for most. It depends on how the person is entertained. If they’re excited because they just got a headshot on a bird at 102 yards I don’t see a problem with that. Now if they are just wounding animals and relishing over this animal’s suffering then perhaps they should be admitted into the cuckoos nest.

Totally agree! I'll shoot rock/ground squirrels and pigeons out to about 120 yards with my M3 30 cal, but I'm not pushing past that. Coyote's, they have to be within 60 yards for me to feel comfortable with taking the shot, and not because I think I'll miss, because I don't miss, but because I want to make sure that my projectile will hit with enough force to do the job immediately. 200 yards with an air rifle is for paper shots, not flesh shots.

Reactions: Pale_Rider