• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

20 yard rat gun on a low budget?

The conversation with my buddy with the rat problem started over text and turned into a brief phone call. It wasn’t an in depth conversation but those “guidelines” were what I discerned from it. I don’t know if they are absolutes or not. Pumping may or may not be an issue, we didn’t really discuss it. He mentioned how easy my guns were to shoot (sidelever PCPs) and that is where his thinking was. He seemed keen on paying for quality but like I said, it was not an in-depth conversation that we concluded to continue next week when we both had more time in our schedule to show him what options I have available to try and to get a better idea of what they actually need. I wanted to have some ideas to pass his way so he could look into them to help with which direction they might want to go.

I needed ideas from you all because most of my stuff is on the up side of price and that seems “crazy” to most people to spend so much on a pellet gun. Maybe they will end up using something that they have already tried. It could be something as simple as finding the right pellet. I really don’t know since we haven’t had that conversation yet.

I do sincerely appreciate ALL of the ideas. I have looked into most of them and I am amazed at how many “affordable” PCPs there are. Only thing I’m finding is that many aren’t available. Once we figure a direction to go the “hunt” for the gun will be on. In the meantime my stuff is available for them to try out and to take some rats down!

Some people simply have to find out the hard way on their own buy just buying and using for a little while then find out they want to try something else more useable and so on...

Just so long as that $700-$750 gun he's thinking isnt a Hatsan or AEA.

Don't even mention it since its his hard earned money.

First hand try everything works. He may even thank you after becoming an airgun collector after that.

The reason why most people can’t shoot a springer is because they are buying cannons. A quality wooden 600-750fps springer is a breeze to shoot. But you have to go back in time to find them. They are also a breeze to cock. They still aren’t a CO2 or PCP but all you need is a gun and a tin of pellets. They can sit in the corner for 15 years and be the exact same gun when you decide to load it and shoot.

I have an HW30s, and I use it at 25 yards for pest squirrels, chipmunks, and starlings. Out to 30 yards, it is quiet and can handle it. I have an R7 on order from PA, they are in stock again, same basic gun, just rebranded. If all you need is 20 yards it will do what you need. I used to use RWS 8.2 wadcutters, but I am finding that the JSB 8.44 seem to hit harder. Good luck!

Go unregulated. Low cost + good build + high accuracy + light to carry PCPs are:

- Gamo Urban hands down. Quiet. Synthetic pistol grip makes it one of the nicest to carry PCPs around. Easy to hand pump too.

- Kral Puncher Maxi. Side lever. Put a moderator on it for silence. Mine with synthetic stock in .25 has real power. I am shooting cherries at 70yds. Rats stand no chance whatsoever, poor buggers.

If you want to go springer instead, the Kral N-01 is easy to cock, light to carry, and gorgeous in walnut. Nice 2 stage trigger. It's a hidden gem. The only thing I did not care for are the rather flimsy open sights. But put a light Nikko Stirling or Leapers scope on it and the wife will love ya even more.

🐦

UPDATE

Alrighty... my buddy was just here at the house. We talked and talked airguns. I guess he was hooked on my Wildcat since the last time he was here and shot it. He came with both guns out and blazing and wants to get a Wildcat or some other bullpup style. He is sure that is what he and his wife wants. It’s not just for rats any more but for the enjoyment of shooting. I let him pump one of the guns up, load and shoot and he is aware of what it takes to charge the gun. So now I’ll keep an eye out on the classifieds for bull pups for sale.

This went a totally different direction than where I thought that it would go.

Thanks for all your help guys! 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼