20 MOA - Maverick Vs. Wildcat mk3 BT

Google ... if it helps anyone:

Technically, those 20 MOA that you have in favor of the rail of the Maverick Vs. the Wildcat mk3 BT, what distance would we be talking about in practice?

I own a Maverick with a Vector Taurus 3-18×50 FFP scope; and I would like to purchase the new Wildcat. Will I be able to continue casting at 100-120 meters with the WC?

I await your answers.

Thank you very much!

Hug

Hola

Si le pone unas anillas ajustables en altura al visor no tendra problemas con la distancia

I think he is asking that has a Maverick with a 20 moa picatinny rail and he want to buy a wildcat with a standard rail. He ask at what maximum distance can he shoot without running out of clicks on a Taurus 3 x 18 Scope

I suggest he use adjustable mounts on the wildcat

Regards 

Enkey 

Hola

Si le pone unas anillas ajustables en altura al visor no tendra problemas con la distancia

I think he is asking that has a Maverick with a 20 moa picatinny rail and he want to buy a wildcat with a standard rail. He ask at what maximum distance can he shoot without running out of clicks on a Taurus 3 x 18 Scope

I suggest he use adjustable mounts on the wildcat

Regards 

Enkey

Exactly, that was my query.

Thank you very much for answering!

Do you think that in shots of up to 100 meters, I will need to supplement height in the standard rail?

Regards

Hernán

Hernán,

🔸tu mira telescópoca tiene un total de 60 moa de ajuste de elevación.

Si tu mira está ajustado con un zero "típico" (30 a 50m), tienes 30 moa de ajuste de elevación hacia abajo y 30 moa hacia arriba, más o menos.

Normalmente no es bueno ajustar las torretas hasta sus extremos, así que considería 25 moa útiles hacia arriba y abajo

🔸Asumo que estás considerando un 5.5mm: 

Un JSB Heavy de 1.175g (18.13gr) a 275m/s (900fps) requiere un ajuste de elevación de 25moa (7mil±). Así que debes poder hacelo.

Pero cualquier de las siguientes factores van a achicar la distancia hasta donde puedes ajustar la elevación de tu mira:

▪ Menos potencia del rifle

▪ Projectiles de más peso

🔸Otra forma de ajustar la mira para alcanzar distancias largas es — en vez de ajustar las torretas y apuntar con el cross de la retícula — sino dejar las torretas en zero, y apuntar con una de las pequeñas marcas de la retícula.

Saludos del Perú, 😊

Matthias

Hernán,

🔸tu mira telescópoca tiene un total de 60 moa de ajuste de elevación.

Si tu mira está ajustado con un zero "típico" (30 a 50m), tienes 30 moa de ajuste de elevación hacia abajo y 30 moa hacia arriba, más o menos.

Normalmente no es bueno ajustar las torretas hasta sus extremos, así que considería 25 moa útiles hacia arriba y abajo

🔸Asumo que estás considerando un 5.5mm: 

Un JSB Heavy de 1.175g (18.13gr) a 275m/s (900fps) requiere un ajuste de elevación de 25moa (7mil±). Así que debes poder hacelo.

Pero cualquier de las siguientes factores van a achicar la distancia hasta donde puedes ajustar la elevación de tu mira:

▪ Menos potencia del rifle

▪ Projectiles de más peso

🔸Otra forma de ajustar la mira para alcanzar distancias largas es — en vez de ajustar las torretas y apuntar con el cross de la retícula — sino dejar las torretas en zero, y apuntar con una de las pequeñas marcas de la retícula.

Saludos del Perú, 😊

Matthias

Matthias, excelente, muchas gracias!!!

Buenísima información!

No soy de toquetear las torretas, así que voy por el lado de las marcas en la retícula, y justamente por eso, era la mayor inquietud de si es posible medianamente alcanzar esa distancia en el nuevo Wildcat. Tampoco me es habitual esos disparos, al contrario, bastante menos generalmente, ya que es un uso 100% caza de aves (control de plagas - palomas y cotorras).

Nuevamente, muchas gracias!

Abrazo,

Hernán

I have the Maverick VP in .30cal, and I wish I would have bought the Wildcat MKIII BT so it doesn't have the 20MOA rail. This messes with my scopes built in Ballistics Calculator, and it also messes with my Sterlok Calculations.

20220416_142508.1650947898.jpg

I have the Maverick VP in .30cal, and I wish I would have bought the Wildcat MKIII BT so it doesn't have the 20MOA rail.

This messes with my scopes built in Ballistics Calculator, and it also messes with my Sterlok Calculations.

Ed, 😊

not sure if that necessarily has to mess with your calculations. Let's hope we find a solution.

Would you explain what or how the 20moa rail messes things up?

Matthias

Hi Herwat27,

I use one of these mounts to give me 20 MOA from a Picatinny rail. The same is available in 20 MOA and 30 MOA (?) for 11mm dovetail mounts.

Utilizo una de estas monturas para darme 20 MOA de un riel Picatinny. Lo mismo está disponible en 20 MOA y 30 MOA (?) para montajes de cola de milano de 11 mm

rail.1650956571.JPG

With the mount I use lower rings to get the scope back down to where I prefer.

Enjoy the long range shooting!

Nugria

I have the Maverick VP in .30cal, and I wish I would have bought the Wildcat MKIII BT so it doesn't have the 20MOA rail. This messes with my scopes built in Ballistics Calculator, and it also messes with my Sterlok Calculations.

20220416_142508.1650947898.jpg

En algún momento también pensé de la distorsión en Strelok...a larga distancia, no exactaemnte me coinciden.

Hi Herwat27,

I use one of these mounts to give me 20 MOA from a Picatinny rail. The same is available in 20 MOA and 30 MOA (?) for 11mm dovetail mounts.

Utilizo una de estas monturas para darme 20 MOA de un riel Picatinny. Lo mismo está disponible en 20 MOA y 30 MOA (?) para montajes de cola de milano de 11 mm

rail.1650956571.JPG

With the mount I use lower rings to get the scope back down to where I prefer.

Enjoy the long range shooting!

Nugria

Muchas gracias!! Lo tendré en cuenta!

Ed, 😊

not sure if that necessarily has to mess with your calculations. Let's hope we find a solution.

Would you explain what or how the 20moa rail messes things up?

Matthias
Well, I had a talk with ATN to ask them if there a setting in the scope to compensate for a 20MOA rail, so my Ballistic Calculator won't be thrown off, and they said I should add a mount to negate the 20MOA slope compensation so that Ballistic Calculator would work correctly.

But in practice, the scope detects the slope, and I've shot headshots on groundhogs over 110 yards just like I would with a 30 yard shot.

So there is no issue with having the 20MOA rail in conjunction with the ATN Ballistic Calculator, and my concerns were unjustified, even though ATN led me to believe otherwise.