• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana $20 Diana Model 48 Restoration

Hey guys, thought I'd take the holiday weekend to share a bit of my journey restoring a Diana Model 48. I picked this rifle up at an auction for $18, with commission $20 out the door. Probably the best deal I've ever landed on an air gun, thanks to poor label and a grainy picture that showed a beat up pellet gun, but one who's profile I was able to recognize and that was enough to take a shot at it.

Here it was as advertised:

BYSYUbOh.jpg

And here's how it arrived (after I removed the chewed up Bushnell scope)

tbEq0oyh.jpg

gSy3M3ah.jpg

Underneath the duct tape cladding was a solid Model 48 T01 that aside from some cosmetic blemishes was perfectly functional and nearly complete. This was clearly someone's workhorse AG and carried with it a "been-there-done-that" look that I loved. Because the rifle shot fine, I decided to leave the internals alone and focus on cleaning up the exterior. I immediately got to work removing the duct tape and residue with WD40. The damaged pull rod was replaced. I didn't particularly care for the placement of the sling swivel studs as it made for an unbalanced shouldering of the gun when slung over the back. Because of my poor skills with wood (I'd mess up a popsicle stick if I could) I sent off the stock to someone more knowledgeable which was a buddy who was all too happy to help out. He plugged the old holes and installed a set of new studs with attached swivels at better locations. Can't thank him enough for his excellent work. While that was getting done, I worked on replacing the shattered barrel shroud "cone," or whatever the technical name is for the sloped plastic piece that sits where the compression tube meets the barrel/barrel shroud.

yqVC7pvh.jpg

This proved challenging because I wasn't sure how to go about removing it. First I tried tapping it out from the access point beneath the tube where the legs of the bear trap spring sits. But the piece didn't budge. It was only after removing the whole front sight assembly and the barrel shroud that the cone slipped out, this is because of the way the shrouds nests into a recess in the cone, keeping in place. After that, it was easy popping in the replacement piece sourced from Ebay and then reinstalling the barrel and sight assembly.

2jKoAr3h.jpg

Last were the sights. I like my irons, so I found a front sight and decided to get creative with the rear which was missing. I opted for a Tech Sights aperture that another airgunner had turned me onto a while back. The results is a Model 48 that may not win any beauty contests but certainly has a special place in my collection for all the fun it has already provided as a labor-of-love project

D6bvrFph.jpg

l7EjrYgh.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I'd take the holiday weekend to share a bit of my journey restoring a Diana Model 48. I picked this rifle up at an auction for $18, with commission $20 out the door. Probably the best deal I've ever landed on an air gun, thanks to poor label and a grainy picture that showed a beat up pellet gun, but one who's profile I was able to recognize and that was enough to take a shot at it.

Here it was as advertised:

BYSYUbOh.jpg

And here's how it arrived (after I removed the chewed up Bushnell scope)

tbEq0oyh.jpg

gSy3M3ah.jpg

Underneath the duct tape cladding was a solid Model 48 T01 that aside from some cosmetic blemishes was perfectly functional and nearly complete. This was clearly someone's workhorse AG and carried with it a "been-there-done-that" look that I loved. Because the rifle shot fine, I decided to leave the internals alone and focus on cleaning up the exterior. I immediately got to work removing the duct tape and residue with WD40. The damaged pull rod was replaced. I didn't particularly care for the placement of the sling swivel studs as it made for an unbalanced shouldering of the gun when slung over the back. Because of my poor skills with wood (I'd mess up a popsicle stick if I could) I sent off the stock to someone more knowledgeable which was a buddy who was all too happy to help out. He plugged the old holes and installed a set of new studs with attached swivels at better locations. Can't thank him enough for his excellent work. While that was getting done, I worked on replacing the shattered barrel shroud "cone," or whatever the technical name is for the sloped plastic piece that sits where the compression tube meets the barrel/barrel shroud.

yqVC7pvh.jpg

This proved challenging because I wasn't sure how to go about removing it. First I tried tapping it out from the access point beneath the tube where the legs of the bear trap spring sits. But the piece didn't budge. It was only after removing the whole front sight assembly and the barrel should that the cone slipped out, this is because of the way the shrouds nests into a recess in the cone, keeping in place. After that, it was easy popping in the replacement piece sourced from Ebay and then reinstalling the barrel and sight assembly.

2jKoAr3h.jpg

Last were the sights. I like my irons, so I found a front sight and decided to get creative with the rear which was missing. I opted for a Tech Sights aperture that another airgunner had turned me onto a while back. The results is a Model 48 that may not win any beauty contests but certainly has a special place in my collection for all the fun it has already provided as a labor-of-love project

D6bvrFph.jpg

l7EjrYgh.jpg
Nice find and it cleaned up real good. I’ve aways wanted to try a 48 but never bought one. But a find like this would be perfect.👌🏻

Nice job restoring some "dignity" back into the ole' gal - the '48 just screams "get er done" - thanks for sharing.

Now let us know the caliber and show us some groups after you figure out what pellet she likes!
Totally forgot to mention the caliber! It's in .177 cal. Haven't shot anything except CPHP at very close range for function tests, but I'm planning to get it up to the country over the Christmas holiday and really put it through the paces.

Reactions: Frogy
Great job on a wonderful rifle. That rear sight is a nice addition . Now this makes me want one.
Thanks! Appreciate all the positive feedback fellas.

The Tech Sight is awesome, gives the rifle a military feel. The aperture opening may be a little bigger than I'd like, but works with the Model 48's chunky front post.

Reactions: Frogy and bf1956
Thanks! Appreciate all the positive feedback fellas.

The Tech Sight is awesome, gives the rifle a military feel. The aperture opening may be a little bigger than I'd like, but works with the Model 48's chunky front post.
Love the look of the tech sight, which model did you use? I have one on another rifle (PB) and really like it. Would like to put one on my 48.