• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch .20 Caliber

Sometimes there is reason for me to hold under on a shot....

My concern with ammo selection is the ability for whatever is on the other end of the shot to be dead...the most dead. In the case of rabbit 5-6 fpe is enough at close range. 10-12 fpe is more than achievable with accuracy in .177, and equals a dead rabbit further away with no problem. 14- 16 fpe in .22 is very manageable and accurate over distance...the rabbit is still dead. Legally hunting larger size game in my state says the next critter in size is a raccoon. Certainly above 20 fpe at close range(my last was at zero ft. dispatched in a trap...roasted with carrots and taters) closer to 30 fpe is better....the raccoon is dead, .20 cal was not the deciding factor.
Fun for me at this point in life is challenging myself shooting things that make me smile. Like the time I shot this .25 cal airsoft BB off of this tac, at 25 yards with Weihrauch .177 cal pistol.
Screenshot_20230425_201344_Gallery.jpg

some day I will get a 20 cal pcp, timing of money and product availablity as all I see is
https://www.airgunrevisions.com/shop/ with 20 cal mauraders
don't really want an mrod or a full lenght gun
I want a 20 cal HW 100 or 110 in the little Karbine size, or pup,,, some day, for now I enjoy my springer HW 50s 20 cal
sold my HW50 in 22 to a friend
getting ammo is easy, finding the gun is my problem, that and $ as this yr, money is to be spent on home upgrade and my free time is now taken up on such activity,,,
.177 are to small for my advanced yrs, they are a pain for me to use, fingers and eyes rule this choice,,, but I don't feel bad if you like them
.177 lack the stopping power of larger diameters, when you are less than excellent as a marksman, ya, I ain't that great of a shot, I am old,,,
I mostly shoot 25 to 35 yds @20ft/lb

Great list just gotta find that HW97 in .20 I have the blue laminate and would not buy that stock again. Standard wood stock all you need. Gun is an awesome shooter jsb 13.4 in .20 all I shoot
If I was looking for a 97K in wood I would get on horn with AoA because they have a limited supply of a limited Weihrauch offering, of walnut .20 cals in stock. If you get one you have to put pics on "bigdeans post" (a new rule I just made), he's asking for walnut 97K pictures.
👍

Agree to disagree on the idea of keeping quiet. If an op asks the forum what are your thoughts on ____? Not all of those thoughts have to be positive. If I am toying with the idea of spending 6-800 bucks on a new rifle and have never shot that model, that caliber, etc I want to hear both sides....
Exactly.

In a thread singing nothing but praises with some of those bordering on mysticism, it helps to point out some of the potential cons.

And there are cons. With absolutely anything.

The .20 caliber is a fine airgun caliber. But it won't do anything that a .177 or .22 won't do. They cost more to buy, and they cost more to feed, and you have fewer choices of ammo, whether you want/need them or not.

Some of you may be surprised to find that I actually own a .20 caliber. In my least favorite model of Weihrauch at that. And sometimes I enjoy shooting it. Admittedly I'd rather it be .22, but I have zero faith in Weihrauch's ability to make a decent .22 barrel. So a .20 it will stay.

Reactions: Bandito
Just so we all know here is my gun list
.177 Brocock sniper
.22 pROD
. 22 FX impact M3 600
.22 TX200
.22 HW 77
.22 DiAna 48
.177 Diana 350
.177 TX200

If I could I would buy the Diana 48 in .20 so I’m not concerned about ammunition
I am curious about performance as I believe the .20 may hit that niche like the .338 and the .416 do for powder burners.
Being a Wisconsinite and living pretty close to Racine, to boot, you really owe it to yourself to get a vintage Sheridan — the gun that introduced .20 cal to the world.
Any old A or B or C should do.

1715628334023.jpeg

Would I like a PCP in .20? Yeah, someday, but to shoot pellets. Like @beerthief, if I want to shoot slugs, I've got a .22LR for that.
Ammo in .20? The usual places have it. Trenier is my favorite for the JSB's and the cheapest. AoA, PA, even Hatsan USA have the H&N FTT's.
Quite a few of these are no longer made or not available for now, but I have multiple boxes/tins of everything in the picture :)
View attachment 462971
Thanks for turning me on to Trenier bravo!

I enjoy the .20 in several of my Weihrauch springers, even an HW30. It shoots both the JSB 13.7 and FTT 11.42 pellets quite well. I souped mine up to over 8fpe with the FTTS and they are shooting around 585fps, not bad. Fun for plinking and I've taken out smaller pest birds and gophers with it too.

I don't shoot my .20 R9 or HW50 nearly as often, but I do think a Diana 48/52 in .20 would be nice to have, though those are hard to find.

The .20 is a great caliber for springers, though if I had a pcp, I would probably skip straight to .22 since those tend to make plenty of power to drive a heavier pellet.

I have a set of .20 cal HWs. A 30s Deluxe, and a 97K Bluelam
I recently shot them over the chronograph.

20240508_161632.jpg

I also shot the 72 Bluestreak over the chrony to see how they compare.

20240512_160126.jpg

I don't remember the HW30S numbers, but it was just under the Bluestreak at 4 srokes.
The HW97K was equal to the Bluestreak at a full 8 strokes at 701 and 703 fps, using JSB Exact 13.73s.

20230714_191452.jpg

The genesis of my .20 cal appreciation.

Reactions: Bandito and holo07
You all are a bad influence. I had been eyeballing those 20 cal 97Ks at AoA for a bit. It checked a lot of boxes. But my resistance had been strong. I had been able to keep my wallet in the pocket prior to reading this thread. She's on her way now, though :giggle:
Did you get the Walnut 97K?

FWIW -

I owned a Beeman R10 in .20. It wasn't any better or worse shooting than my other springers in .177 or .22. I think Beeman promoted .20 heavily because RWS Diana (his main competitor) didn't offer guns in .20. Of course, I can't prove that.

I've also owned several Sheridans that were VERY good shooters...especially with the Williams peep. I don't think it was just the caliber that made them good shooters. The whole design was great.

I have nothing against .20, but these days I go for .22.