HW/Weihrauch .20 Caliber

Yeah, 20cal ammo is so hard to find.
20240508_083255.jpg

I'm not sure where the cut off is for .177 stability, but for range and higher velocities the .20 cal can reach out a bit further before spiraling. For higher velocities it would be larger calibers, and then slugs.
20240508_084415.jpg

Please don't start with .20 slugs ! In my opinion if you shoot slugs you might as well just shoot PB's .
Yes, True the .20 cal pellet is perfect for springers, and multy stroke pneumatics, power range.
Higher power guns will will at some point destabilize pellets, then slugs are the answer.

Would I like a PCP in .20? Yeah, someday, but to shoot pellets. Like @beerthief, if I want to shoot slugs, I've got a .22LR for that.
Ammo in .20? The usual places have it. Trenier is my favorite for the JSB's and the cheapest. AoA, PA, even Hatsan USA have the H&N FTT's.
Quite a few of these are no longer made or not available for now, but I have multiple boxes/tins of everything in the picture :)
20 cal pellets I have.jpg

I don't always shoot .20 cal either since I also own guns in .177, .22 and .25...lol.
For @extradrygin2001 if you have an itch for a 97 in .20, I'd say go ahead and scratch it. Don't personally own one to honestly talk about it (or any underlevers for that matter), but from the posts made by others members who do, they don't seem to regret one bit buying theirs.

p.s. - yes, I freely admit to being a member of the AGN enablers club...lol.

Really would be easier to just say you don't like the caliber or better yet just not comment in the thread at all because you don't, but nah, that's too easy. Let's go post on AGN and trash it any which way we can so the shooter asking never, ever considers buying one....lol.
I'd rather encourage fellow shooters, no matter their caliber choice.
Agree to disagree on the idea of keeping quiet. If an op asks the forum what are your thoughts on ____? Not all of those thoughts have to be positive. If I am toying with the idea of spending 6-800 bucks on a new rifle and have never shot that model, that caliber, etc I want to hear both sides....

Just so we all know here is my gun list
.177 Brocock sniper
.22 pROD
. 22 FX impact M3 600
.22 TX200
.22 HW 77
.22 DiAna 48
.177 Diana 350
.177 TX200

If I could I would buy the Diana 48 in .20 so I’m not concerned about ammunition
I am curious about performance as I believe the .20 may hit that niche like the .338 and the .416 do for powder burners.
Great list just gotta find that HW97 in .20 I have the blue laminate and would not buy that stock again. Standard wood stock all you need. Gun is an awesome shooter jsb 13.4 in .20 all I shoot

Reactions: Bandito
Agree to disagree on the idea of keeping quiet. If an op asks the forum what are your thoughts on ____? Not all of those thoughts have to be positive. If I am toying with the idea of spending 6-800 bucks on a new rifle and have never shot that model, that caliber, etc I want to hear both sides....
And why I started my comment with the statement "Really would be easier to just say you don't like the caliber". While I very well could have left off the rest, I said it because I've always made it a habit to encourage fellow shooters to buy/try whatever make, model, caliber of rifle they might want to try and not trash it any way I can because I don't personally like it.

And why I started my comment with the statement "Really would be easier to just say you don't like the caliber". While I very well could have left off the rest, I said it because I've always made it a habit to encourage fellow shooters to buy/try whatever make, model, caliber of rifle they might want to try and not trash it any way I can because I don't personally like it.
I have seen the debates over .20 cal, and other things that people have an emotional attachment to. When it comes to thoughts I prefer the guys with chronograph data, trajectory comparison, cost efficiency numbers, availability, bc data and other points of rational personally gathered pieces of the puzzle to help me make an informed decision. The guy who says "I don't like this and ends it there" , I expect to follow up with " my favorite AG guru says" Fun factor, while not technical, is worth talking about, see the posts on .30 cal springers.
That said I have owned 2 .20 cals...neither has inspired me to hunt down a third. At the ranges I shoot most often either .177, or .22 covers everything while allowing for me to pick and choose what is best for the task at hand. Out past that i have a .25. The .20 literally offers me zero advantage of any kind. Cost wise is prohibitive to the other 2 calibers. For your benefit..."I don't like it"

I'm with you Steve.
Like you said he hates the calber, and doesn't show up with factual info.
I don't know if he writes promotional stuff for his interests, but promotional ..20 cal stuff annoys him.

Last edited:
With a name like .20calguy I would never have suspected any bias in your caliber selection...
Its not like I'm anti other cals though.
I shoot them all up to .30 cal, they all have their purpose.
The name is because I started young with a Sherdan, then later following Robert Beemans lead. So I am fond of the caliber.

Its not like I'm anti other cals though.
I shoot them all up to .30 cal, they all have their purpose.
The name is because I started young with a Sherdan, then later following Robert Beemans lead. So I am fond of the caliber.
Sometimes there is reason for me to hold under on a shot....

My concern with ammo selection is the ability for whatever is on the other end of the shot to be dead...the most dead. In the case of rabbit 5-6 fpe is enough at close range. 10-12 fpe is more than achievable with accuracy in .177, and equals a dead rabbit further away with no problem. 14- 16 fpe in .22 is very manageable and accurate over distance...the rabbit is still dead. Legally hunting larger size game in my state says the next critter in size is a raccoon. Certainly above 20 fpe at close range(my last was at zero ft. dispatched in a trap...roasted with carrots and taters) closer to 30 fpe is better....the raccoon is dead, .20 cal was not the deciding factor.