HW/Weihrauch .20 Caliber

Apparently I must be living a deprived life as despite that I own some very nice springers I have never owned or shot a .20 cal, or a .25 for that matter.

My other dilemma I am currently having is I have not shot or handled a HW97. I do own a 77 and find it to be an absolute pleasure. From what I understand the 97 is more front heavy, and I really enjoy the balance of the 77.

Seeing as almost on a daily basis the prices of HW rifles rises and for some reason I developed a need for a new rifle what can you guys say about the 97 vs the 77 in .20?

Or if anyone out there lives in the south eastern Wisconsin area would be willing to let me try there rifle? I am a member if an air rifle club however I never see anything other than TX200’s for spring guns, I’m the odd one who brings other things apparently.

I have a 97 in .20, a 97 in .22, and a 77 in .22. I have owned several other 77s and 97s. For whatever reason, the 97s have been a little more accurate for me and consistent. The 77s are lighter and a great gun as well. The 77s longs I have owned and tuned have been more accurate than the 77K models for me as well.

My 97 in .20 will shoot with several of my pcps at 50 yards and under in terms of accuracy.

I have the 4 caliber in the 97. All second to none. The .20 is just outstanding. My favorite is the .25 because I plink. You can watch the shot in the scope and it’s deadly accurate. When it hits the spinner, it gives the best spin.
I would recommend HW 98 .20 calibre it’s a break barrel and just doesn’t get much better. I find it easier to use. Good luck. Crow

And the few left are the cream of the crop and at least 2 or even 3 of the 5 you can get will shoot and very well. Lot less burden on the mentioned wallet when you don't have to buy and try 15-20 plus kinds trying to find the one.
That doesn't make much sense to try 15-20 if only 5 are worth having by your logic.

And a .20 caliber is all of a sudden the only caliber that only "needs" 5 types of pellets available? I've never tried 15-20 types of pellets in any caliber to find "the one".

Options are good with the way availability has been the last several years. The ammo makers are a lot more likely to fire up .177 production before they do .20 in a pinch.

Last edited:
Reactions: wgd and Bandito
Said because I always hear the lame excuse "not enough choices in ammo" and why shooters buy .177 or .22 instead because they get more choices in ammo. How many choices do you need exactly???
Probably off a couple but there's something like 15 makers and 148 kinds in .177 and 17 makers and 108 kinds in .22. Got all those choices they claim to want, now how many of them are they going to buy and try?? They're not...lol.
One of the first things they do when buying a new rifle is a post here wanting to know "What pellet shoots best in yours if you have one" because while they wanted all those choices, now they want the forum to help narrow it down to 4 or 5 that might be best.
Wanting all those choices suddenly doesn't make much sense.

It might be nice if there were a couple more choices for .20’s or maybe a couple options for diameter like .22’s to dial in a particular gun, but as mentioned, the available options pretty well cover most springers. Since we’re talking springers, I bet many of the heavier .22 pellets may not work well at somewhat reduced velocities compared to PCP’s. With that, there may not be as many choices for .22’s than it seems either. One pellet that may be nice to have for .20’s that isn’t available would be a non-lead for those States or areas that require them. Just a couple of thoughts.

It might be nice if there were a couple more choices for .20’s or maybe a couple options for diameter like .22’s to dial in a particular gun, but as mentioned, the available options pretty well cover most springers. Since we’re talking springers, I bet many of the heavier .22 pellets may not work well at somewhat reduced velocities compared to PCP’s. With that, there may not be as many choices for .22’s than it seems either. One pellet that may be nice to have for .20’s that isn’t available would be a non-lead for those States or areas that require them. Just a couple of thoughts.
It's why many .20 shooters are hoping JTS makes good on coming out with some new pellets and possibly some new rifles in .20 and chimed in when they posted about it here:
As far as lead free .20 ammo, don't remember where or when I saw it and Dynamic is long out of business, but I think they used to make a 12ish grain lead free pellet.

Just so we all know here is my gun list
.177 Brocock sniper
.22 pROD
. 22 FX impact M3 600
.22 TX200
.22 HW 77
.22 DiAna 48
.177 Diana 350
.177 TX200

If I could I would buy the Diana 48 in .20 so I’m not concerned about ammunition
I am curious about performance as I believe the .20 may hit that niche like the .338 and the .416 do for powder burners.

Just so we all know here is my gun list
.177 Brocock sniper
.22 pROD
. 22 FX impact M3 600
.22 TX200
.22 HW 77
.22 DiAna 48
.177 Diana 350
.177 TX200

If I could I would buy the Diana 48 in .20 so I’m not concerned about ammunition
I am curious about performance as I believe the .20 may hit that niche like the .338 and the .416 do for powder burners.
You might consider emailing Hector at Connecticut Custom Airguns. He might still be rebarreling D54's in .20 and make one for you if the D54 would work for you.
If you lived closer, I have more than a few .20's and .25's you'd be more than welcome to shoot away with.

Reactions: Bandito
@extradrygin2001 - AoA might have a HW97 .20 in stock. There are plenty of pellet choices. Mine loves the H&N FTT's. I waited about eight months for my HW97k .20 in beech. I had Kip tune the rifle and trigger to a nice 15 fpe. Shooting off of a deck rail I can shoot dime sized groups at 55 yards. My two friends were shooting PCP's last weekend and I was keeping up with them on spinners and paper.

That doesn't make much sense to try 15-20 if only 5 are worth having by your logic.

And a .20 caliber is all of a sudden the only caliber that only "needs" 5 types of pellets available? I've never tried 15-20 types of pellets in any caliber to find "the one".

Options are good with the way availability has been the last several years. The ammo makers are a lot more likely to fire up .177 production before they do .20 in a pinch.
Really would be easier to just say you don't like the caliber or better yet just not comment in the thread at all because you don't, but nah, that's too easy. Let's go post on AGN and trash it any which way we can so the shooter asking never, ever considers buying one....lol.
I'd rather encourage fellow shooters, no matter their caliber choice.

I Always liked the idea of .20 cal "being in the middle " Finally found a .20 cal Sheridan pumper . now i know it is a great caliber . I am now always looking at the shows for old vintage pellets to try . I have some old Tenex .177 pellets and they shoot wonderfully , accurate also , as good as the new Tenex in my guns .