.20 Cal H&N Baracuda Springer Performance Test - Results Amazing

As pellets get harder and harder to source, I like to have an "option" for each of my favorite rifle's pellet of choice. As an example, my .20 HW98 prefers Weihrauch and Daystate pellets, typically only available in the US from AOA (that I can find). 

Over the years and in other calibers, I have noticed that the H&N Baracuda pellets generally have a higher ballistic coefficient and nearly always perform respectably. I decided to try them as a test in my .20 caliber springers, and the results, at least in two of my rifles, were extremely surprising. I ordered six tins from Trenier, and they arrived in three days, beautifully packaged.

The test results can be seen in the photo included below.

My Beeman R9 shows a strong preference for the JSB 13.73. Still pretty easy to source, this one is not an issue. The Baracuda 15.28 Gr pellets performed ok, but not as good as the JSB 13.73s. Note that the Baracudas were very snug going into the bore, and had to be pushed firmly into place. The velocity was within a few fps of the velocity of the lighter 13.73 gr pellet. 

The HW98 and HW97K shot the Baracuda pellets lights out. The POI for the 97 was 1 click low at 18 yards as compared to the "favored" pellet the rifle was actually sighted in for. The POI for the HW98 was 2 clicks right and one click low. As you can see, the groups were very acceptable, and though I haven't had the chance to run a comparative test at 50 yards, I am certain the Baracudas will perform on par with the other "favored" pellets after experiencing the results that can be seen below. BTW, after prior extensive testing, my HW97K showed a preference for the JSB 13.73, and the HW98 shows a preference for either the Weihrauch FT 13.3 or the Daystate Rangemaster Emperor 15.89 Gr pellets (both pellets shot multiple group averages of <3/8" groups at 18 yards). The HW98 did not like the JSBs in 13.73 or 15.89 at all. 

All three rifles are self-tuned and meticulously detailed, utilizing Vortek PG3 steel kits prepared by Tom to my power preferences. They are deadly accurate and consistent, and exhibit absolutely no "twang." If you have not tried the Baracuda pellets in your .20 caliber rifles, they might pose a good option.

DZ

.20 HN Baracuda Test.03.31.21.1617245731.jpg