• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

2 stage vs 4 stage hand pumps

Neu , you might consider a tank if you have some place to get it filled ? Probably buy one used for the same price of a 4 stage pump .
The closest thing to me is a 2 hour drive each way. I do have a local volunteer FD right down the street, I may have to stop by there and see if they would fill a tank or two.

Reactions: beerthief
Funny this tread comes up just when I was maintaining my hand pump.
It had a bad o-ring and wasn't pumping more than 120 psi.

I just read about o-rings not being tuff enough, fault was on me. . .
I was rushing the 300 strokes back to back. The pump became very hot and some of the o-rings got damaged because of this.
In general we shouln't pump more than 40-60 strokes at a time before letting the thing completely cool off.
(and catching your breath in between ;) )

I have the very common chinese pump that you can find for cheap almost everywhere under many brands. I think it's 3 stages ?
If your pump goes very hard to pull or push, you're probably due to change some o-rings, and lubricate.

I also have a bad back but with a pump that is maintained properly, it's not a problem.
OF COURSE I STILL LIKE MY COMPRESSOR BETTER :D

3 chamber or 4 chamber .. or a extra pressure stage that " should" making each pump at higher pressure easier ..

In my talk. If your putting all your 200lbs weight to push the pump handle with a 3 stage. You may only need 180lbs of your weight to push the 4 stage ..lol.

Then I guess you could just chunk all that if it's a poorly design 4 that's worse overall then a better built 3. And Maybe why you don't see 4 stage pumps quickly replacing all the 3's out there..lol

From some blog

"The biggest different between 3 stage and 4 stage is the CONSTRUCTION. The 3 stage pump included total three tubes, but four tube the 4 stage have. It can makes the 4 stage pump up to 5000 or 5500 psi, and that will be more easy to fill a cylinder."