• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

2 essentials for accurate shooting.

cj_86I think the finger position on the trigger pertains to more on using a handgun, but that's just my experiance and my opinion of course.

I agree, but if you learn to do it for rifle as well, you're more likely do it for your pistols. What I believe is more important is getting the stock into the exact same position on your shoulder every time. After that you can get the same cheek weld every time.

"billydjann"Ya know....
I tend to use the tip of my finger to shoot...
I bet if I start using the middle section... I can improve my 50 yard shooting.....
I will have to try it out....
Have have always used the tip of my finger but today I made myself use the first joint and my groups tightened up quite a bit. I'm seeing doubleI still can not shoot with both eyes open, feels like I'm seeing double.

Very good graphic Fearnpoint. I do agree with the technique as well. When I'm really serious I will take two breaths (first is deep and slow cleansing) and pull on the third, (exhale) but it's basically the same idea. I also try to touch the gun exactly the same each time. Same cheek pressure same hand/trigger position, same pace of pulling the trigger. I also like to shoot off my bipod with my non shooting hand supporting the stock into my shooting shoulder using the thumb and forefinger web to sit the bottom of the butt into, making sure the thumb is pressing with side pressure so as not to put a thumb pulse on the stock. Using the thumb/forefinger webbing for support and ever so slightly pulling the gun into my shoulder, rather than pushing the gun forward into the bipod. I also use the non-shooting forearm to press the against the bottom of the pistol grip, just for an extra support. (this is all shooting from a bench of course)

For Bruce (don't mean to hijack the thread) on the idea of keeping both eyes open, I would suggest trying moving "slowly" (scoping limbs and leaves) the gun/scope around on a tree from a comfortable distance say 25-50 yards. As you move from branch to leaves try stopping on a particular area either looking thru the scope or with the un-scoped eye. As you do this your brain will start switching from the scope to the un-scoped eye. Try it for a couple of days for a few minutes each day and you might be surprised at how your brain will adapt and let you switch between either eye. It's ok to close each eye for a second to let the brain see both views but try to keep scoping different parts of the tree with both eyes open. Good luck.

"Bruce"
"billydjann"Ya know....
I tend to use the tip of my finger to shoot...
I bet if I start using the middle section... I can improve my 50 yard shooting.....
I will have to try it out....
Have have always used the tip of my finger but today I made myself use the first joint and my groups tightened up quite a bit. I'm seeing doubleI still can not shoot with both eyes open, feels like I'm seeing double.
I face the same challenge Bruce. Seeing double. Still can't shoot with both eyes open. Will try what fun gun says this weekend. If it works for you, do share. 

FunGunVery good graphic Fearnpoint. I do agree with the technique as well. When I'm really serious I will take two breaths (first is deep and slow cleansing) and pull on the third, (exhale) but it's basically the same idea. I also try to touch the gun exactly the same each time. Same cheek pressure same hand/trigger position, same pace of pulling the trigger. I also like to shoot off my bipod with my non shooting hand supporting the stock into my shooting shoulder using the thumb and forefinger web to sit the bottom of the butt into, making sure the thumb is pressing with side pressure so as not to put a thumb pulse on the stock. Using the thumb/forefinger webbing for support and ever so slightly pulling the gun into my shoulder, rather than pushing the gun forward into the bipod. I also use the non-shooting forearm to press the against the bottom of the pistol grip, just for an extra support. (this is all shooting from a bench of course)

For Bruce (don't mean to hijack the thread) on the idea of keeping both eyes open, I would suggest trying moving "slowly" (scoping limbs and leaves) the gun/scope around on a tree from a comfortable distance say 25-50 yards. As you move from branch to leaves try stopping on a particular area either looking thru the scope or with the un-scoped eye. As you do this your brain will start switching from the scope to the un-scoped eye. Try it for a couple of days for a few minutes each day and you might be surprised at how your brain will adapt and let you switch between either eye. It's ok to close each eye for a second to let the brain see both views but try to keep scoping different parts of the tree with both eyes open. Good luck.

FunGun,
Your technique you explained there is 100% similar as what I do with bench shooting and prone.

Both eyes open and really think about what your hands and fingertips are doing, if after you shoot and you can't explain what your fingers or hand did during the last shot, then you probably missed the bullseye. Defiantly put your mind to work during these shots. I shoot tin after tin in my basement usually at 10 meters with an old Webley and it is so easy to get distracted. Distractions miss Bulls. 

I can only shoot properly with both eyes, using a reflex red dot sight. Open sights seem to go blurry, and magnified scopes the sight picture is mismatched magnified / non magnified. My current weapon ( .22 Benjamin Trail NP2 ) has a 30mm reflex and it's matched perfectly to rabbit and possum shooting. Which is pretty much all I do now.