• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1st time buyer of PCP Airgun disappointed

Nope I think break barrels suck. Accuracy just isn’t there as easily when compared to a pcp. In most instances it just isn’t there or not possible basically. They recoil and tear up scopes. You are only going to get so much power out of one. Not my thing whatsoever. However if you don’t like them that is cool. That is why we have so many different options.
My crack barrel HW30 will outshoot my Beeman Chief2, or my Gauntlet2, with regard to accuracy. In fact, so will my SSP HW75, but non of them, or my powder burners, can hang with the FX Crowns accuracy. On the other hand I could buy several different HWs with the money a Crown cost. Lol

Got air in. Now I keep getting cartridge jams. SO Hatsan says to release bolts for barrel and adjust to cart., Did that but now the outer barrel won't go all the way down and spins. And still jams this is not a starter gun at all. Hopefully I can figure out this issue next. I read other peoples experience with this gun and it seems i have an issue at every turn.
Google searching, (problem with ???), whenever I'm thinking of investing in something, is how I learned to check what I may be in for.

Last edited:
Yea in YOUR case, not all around.
Actually I suggest you pay attention here and youtube. You might be one of the rare ones that have gotten a semi decent one but YOU are the exception not the norm.

Hatsans are notoriously bad, with lots of problems, poor build quality and often times terrible service. There is a reason that so many refuse to buy anything from spain, turkey and little from china. AKA Gammo, hatsan and then the rest of the chinese junk.

When I was looking at air rifles and doing my research, initially it was like oh that looks cool and an inexpensive semi auto. Then I saw all the problems hatsans are known for and was like yep thats a pass.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I was thinking of getting into PCP guns Are you saying they take a lot of Tinkering to get them to shoot, right?
often thats not the case. If you invest in a quality one its not bad. Many times good retailers will test shoot the rifle before shipping. Youll see the grouping and what they used. its a good baseline for finding what pellet the rifle likes.

The avenge x is often solid out of the box as is the daystate hunstman revere for a couple lower to mid price rifles. some like the notos but I'm not conviced on it yet and havent had a chance to shoot one.

Reactions: wolfdog
Whats really sad is how rude and unappreciative the OP has been. He had a problem, had people bending over backwards to help him and not once did he ever have the courtesy to say thank you to anyone. In fact he got snarky and defended his actions when someone mentioned it.

Sadly its the lack of appreciation like this that often makes people reluctant to help. Its also sad how people forget that a thank you can go a long way.

Reactions: wolfdog
They do have decent Turkish Walnut stocks, Lol
PSX_20200216_222858.jpg

Mine looked awful as recieved. Used two completely different pieces of wood, and did not even attempt to match grain or color. Finish on the whole stock was rather poor as well, and did not even look good.

Can see how different the pieces of wood are, and how bad the original finish was. It made the wood dark, and muddled.
PSX_20200215_212708.jpg

Last is after much stain matching, and coercing some of the grains out of it. While muting others.

20220103_114558_edited.jpg

Safesinger, you had a hard painful start with this adventure, but definitely don’t let it wreck the experience for you.
I would just return the gun, ditch the bad pump and then research the forum to find a decent replacement.
Just try to swallow the bitter lump of wasted money and let it lead you to a better product.
Once you’ve got a good rifle and pump you will be able to start to enjoy this sport.
Just try to buy once and cry once, in the long run you will end up with a rifle that will last and give you a lot of pleasure.
Don’t give up, you just had a really crappy start.

Got air in. Now I keep getting cartridge jams. SO Hatsan says to release bolts for barrel and adjust to cart., Did that but now the outer barrel won't go all the way down and spins. And still jams this is not a starter gun at all. Hopefully I can figure out this issue next. I read other peoples experience with this gun and it seems i have an issue at every turn.
Welcome to the rabbit hole. LOL You have just taken the first step. AGN members are the greatest! Bill

I've purchased 5 pcps so far from 3 different manufacturers and the magazines worked on all of them, I had what I needed to fill them in the box (except for the air). One of them leaked but could still be shot. It was fixed under warranty (my Avenger). None of my guns cost $500. I have a Crosman (Marauder pistol), an Air Venturi (Avenger) and Snowpeak (P35s). I've had to put new O-rings in one of the SPAs just due to it developing a leak (others were needed after I tuned them (messed with them)). Replacing O-rings every few years seems to be normal. But in my experience, non functional rifles out of the box is not normal for PCPs. Even relatively inexpensive ones.

Have used break barrels for a very longtime.
Decided I would go ahead and test the waters and buy the Hatsan Flash QE PCP air rifle .25 caliber.
Figured it was a small air tank purchased the hand pump and some ammo.
Only to find that it's not holding the air it's been a very unpleasant experience and has made me feel that these guns are not that great.
I've heard valve open needs a push of air from a tank ridiculous that is even necessary. This isn't a realistic way to get a new air gun working out of the box.
Sucks I really was happy about the purchase now it's going back. I'll stick with break barrels they actually work out of the box.

Wondering if anyone else has had same negative experience with these over priced guns? Funny reviewers praise these things because they have everything needed to set them up. For the average person these guns are quite terrible. Between the over priced junk hand pumps or buy a $2000 scuba tank to get them to work if they arrive with 0 pressure.

Sorry to hear, FX Airguns is the way to go!​