• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1st post. Just saying Hi

54 years old
Started out at around 5 years old with red rider bb gun.
Graduated to a power line 880 that could shoot pellets or bb s. That was a huge upgrade for me and I loved the accuracy of that old 10 pump powering. Although I think the quality of the newer 880s has gone down hill big time.

When I was 16 in Northern NY I went onto 22s and 12guages. Hunted on my Uncles 350 acre farm and was in heaven. Hunted rabbits, partridge, squirrels and white tails with a 308 savage lever action..... sorry I ever sold that 308.
Moved to NH, MA and then down to NC where I got my concealed carry for down there. Got a few deer with the 30-06 that my Dad gave me before he passed away. I also have 25-06 and 270 that I use on deer.
Then it was to SC where I became a guy you could go to, to get your concealed carry. I believe strongly in the 2nd amendment so I didn't charge for the class.
Now a days I'm back in NY....Central NY. I'm more interested in tight groups on paper than anything. Although a squirrel or two isn't out of the question.

I've had about 6 12guages, rifles from 22s to 22-250 all the way up to 375 H & H mag. Most of my rifles have leaupold (spelling?) Vari X 3s with the occasional Nikon. I have handguns of sorts with semi autos being favored in my youth to wheel guns as I got older.
I have a break barrel pellet but don't recall the name right now. It is fairly accurate.

I'd like advice on the following:
Is there a 17 or 20 caliber pump that is quality, strong and accurate? I like the smoothness of an air rifle that uses compressed air. I like the idea of a pump without having to deal with tanks or compressors......I have compressors but they are for air tools.

Suggestions?

@Tifford Wow! You have an extensive history of shooting. Plenty of paper punchers and there are definitely some .20 caliber lovers on here. I’m sure someone will have some good advice in those areas.bIn terms of .20 calibers @Flintsack comes to mind. He creates interesting posts and shoots some beautiful rifles. If you’re into spring-piston air rifles checkout the “Traditional Airguns” forum.

What’s the longest distance that you have available to shoot?

@Tifford Wow! You have an extensive history of shooting. Plenty of paper punchers and there are definitely some .20 caliber lovers on here. I’m sure someone will have some good advice in those areas.bIn terms of .20 calibers @Flintsack comes to mind. He creates interesting posts and shoots some beautiful rifles. If you’re into spring-piston air rifles checkout the “Traditional Airguns” forum.

What’s the longest distance that you have available to shoot?
I have a 100 yard range. Maybe more if I go into the fields. I'd like 40yard accuracy with the ability to knock down a Grey squirrel at that range or closer.

54 years old
Started out at around 5 years old with red rider bb gun.
Graduated to a power line 880 that could shoot pellets or bb s. That was a huge upgrade for me and I loved the accuracy of that old 10 pump powering. Although I think the quality of the newer 880s has gone down hill big time.

When I was 16 in Northern NY I went onto 22s and 12guages. Hunted on my Uncles 350 acre farm and was in heaven. Hunted rabbits, partridge, squirrels and white tails with a 308 savage lever action..... sorry I ever sold that 308.
Moved to NH, MA and then down to NC where I got my concealed carry for down there. Got a few deer with the 30-06 that my Dad gave me before he passed away. I also have 25-06 and 270 that I use on deer.
Then it was to SC where I became a guy you could go to, to get your concealed carry. I believe strongly in the 2nd amendment so I didn't charge for the class.
Now a days I'm back in NY....Central NY. I'm more interested in tight groups on paper than anything. Although a squirrel or two isn't out of the question.

I've had about 6 12guages, rifles from 22s to 22-250 all the way up to 375 H & H mag. Most of my rifles have leaupold (spelling?) Vari X 3s with the occasional Nikon. I have handguns of sorts with semi autos being favored in my youth to wheel guns as I got older.
I have a break barrel pellet but don't recall the name right now. It is fairly accurate.

I'd like advice on the following:
Is there a 17 or 20 caliber pump that is quality, strong and accurate? I like the smoothness of an air rifle that uses compressed air. I like the idea of a pump without having to deal with tanks or compressors......I have compressors but they are for air tools.

Suggestions?

If you really want a nice multi-pump pneumatic, my personal opinion is that you should seek out a well cared for rocker safety Sheridan. They really are still the best you can get. Fitted with a peep sight, they have always been very accurate with a good trigger in the ones I have shot.

None of the new ones are even remotely in the same league.

Reactions: Arzrover
Had a change of heart.

Going with RAW HM1000X. Looks like I'll have to go with a compressor too.

Had a change of heart.

Going with RAW HM1000X. Looks like I'll have to go with a compressor too.
First, welcome aboard . If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. You are with the big dogs. As Dave L said, you will be impressed. Caution, the trigger will spoil you quickly. Congrats.

Well that escalated quickly....

Next time maybe let us know your budget :ROFLMAO:

Solid choice. Starting at the top of the heap!
I know, sorry. I make decent money at my job and I'm debt free. I use an AR 15 at work and this will help me keep my skills sharp.....at least that's what I tell myself to justify it.....that and my job can be stressful and shooting has always taken a bite out of the stress.

The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to mess around.

Reactions: thumper