1st PCP Air Rifle

I started another topic under The General section... But thought I would post something here. I'm looking for a rifle that is extremely accurate. I have many years of shooting experience, just none with air rifles. I was first trying to keep it under $1,000 but have quickly learned that that's not going to happen. By the time you buy a scope and air tank it will quickly go past that. I do own a shorty scuba tank that I used to dive with, hopefully I can use that for my fills?What are your suggestions for a great rifle. I do not like the little short bull pup style. I do want something that has an adjustable cheek riser for accuracy and eye relief repeatability. I only plan on shooting anywhere from 20 to 75 yards.

Welcome. You're not going to find too many with an adjustable cheekpiece, but an excellent beginner gun in your price range that does have one and has a reputation for being accurate out of the box is a 2nd generation Marauder with synthetic stock aka Synrod, in .25 that use the Green Mountain barrels. It's also one of the quietest PCPs out of the box. You'd be able to fill up to 3,000 psi with a scuba tank with the right hose setup. Once you get bitten there is plenty of info here how to upgrade/mod the Marauder platform to squeeze out more accuracy, power, and efficiency/shot count depending on your needs.

If you're willing to spend a little more and consider it an "investment" it opens up many more options in the $1000-$1500 range. One newer PCP that comes to mind that would fit your requirements including an adjustable cheekrest is the Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite. Although it's a "semi-bullpup" it's a more traditional stock configuration and closer to a carbine. I'm a firm believer in buy once, cry once as well. If you start with an entry level PCP then add regulators, custom LDCs and barrels, pretty soon you're in the same $$ ballpark as a higher tiered gun with much more hassle.

What is your total budget with scope and air tank? I've tried scopes of varying cost and for me personally, to get something that does what I want (clear glass, thin reticle, repeatability) I'm starting out at about $300. You may likely want to get a 4500 PSI carbon fiber tank which will start around $500 to $600ish. If you stick with the 3000psi scuba tank, it will greatly limit the guns you can purchase as most reliable, "extremely accurate" guns require a fill pressure higher than that. For extreme accuracy in a rifle config, non bull pup, I'd look at FX, Kalibrgun, and BSA R-10. All of those are regulated (for extreme accuracy I would not look at unregulated guns) and will most likely not leave you wishing you had bought something different. The BSA and the FX Streamline are the least expensive but don't let that fool you, they are generally insanely accurate (although not a lot of data on the Streamline since they are new, but include the same time tested features) and the new version of the BSA has a newly designed regulator that is supposed to be better than the previous model, which I own and love. You could shoot flies off your dogs rear end with that thing, no joke.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/BSA_R_10_MK2_PCP_Air_Rifle_Walnut_Stock/2200

The only one of those with and adjustable cheek piece is the Kalibrgun

http://www.wildwestairguns.com/air-guns-air-rifles/kalibrgun-rifle-.22-cal-wood-stock/

I've also had Kalibrgun and it was a very nice rifle, very accurate but I prefer the FX Royale Line up to it. The FX Royale line is time tested, reliable, super accurate.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/fx-royale-400-synthetic-air-rifle/

Lastly, if you're trying to keep cost down, I'd take a really hard look at the FX Streamline. It is a ton of gun for the money and if I had a hard $1000 budget for just the gun, it is probably the only gun I would be looking at. It will likely be just as accurate as all the guns here and also comes regulated, power adjuster, etc etc. 

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/fx-streamline-synthetic/

Cricket are know for accuracy and reliability. One of the best regulators on the market, good trigger, excellent LDC(quiet) and at 8 pounds they are well balanced. If you are buying new they go for around $1300 used usually $1000 shipped. Crickets have an adjustable cheek piece.

"Buy once cry once" is something I wish I did when I got into airguns. Would have saved some money and aggravation. If you plan on shooting past 60 yards a 25 cal is the way to go. A 25 is not the way to go if you have close neighbors or you have to travel to get the tank filled. As far as a tank setup shop around. I found Air Hog had the best prices. They recently had 10% off and free shipping. Not sure if its still available. 

I uploaded this summer of 2015. Its a 22 cal:

Cricket carbine or the new FX Streamline would be two that come to mind. I don't think the FX has the adjustable cheekpiece. I have a Cricket bullpup in .25 cal that is wonderfully accurate!

Brocock Bantam looks good, but please be aware that additional mags are ~$120 each if they are the same as the Compatto. I know they are nice mags, but not that nice.

Good luck!

Scott

Buy once, cry once... that's a good one... never going to happen.

Once you buy one, you'll become a hopeless addict like the rest of us. You'll have a thirst that will never be satisfied and you'll spend the rest of your days trying to find reasons to buy more. 

I think it is smart to start with one that has everything you want though. I wasted a lot more money trying to save money in the beginning. 

Reactions: xarus
stevesLeaning to the FX STREAMLINE with the synthetic stock (since that is all you can get right now) Any drawbacks to this stock besides personal preferences? I personally like the black stock. Just want to make sure that I'm not missing something regarding the wood stock. Thank you!

I think you'll be quite pleased with the Streamline. The stock is just personal preference. All my FX guns have had the synthetic and they've been great. FX makes a nice synthetic.

Length really isn't that bad, folks have just gotten so used to bull pups i think. It wouldn't bother me anyway since the gun is otherwise so light.