• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1st crow

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
Been trying long time, see dozens daily. Can’t even get near them. You got your eye on one,make a twitch and one in another distance yells caw caw and they’re all gone. Every time. This time he flew in a Birch tree 37 yards away. My LGU Varmint and me, we’re like white on rice. Special delivery a Hades .22 Diablo 15.89 g. Tagged him, went down 30’ like an express elevator. Got 1 Red wing blackbird same tree.

Crow 

Been trying long time, see dozens daily. Can’t even get near them. You got your eye on one,make a twitch and one in another distance yells caw caw and they’re all gone. Every time. This time he flew in a Birch tree 37 yards away. My LGU Varmint and me, we’re like white on rice. Special delivery a Hades .22 Diablo 15.89 g. Tagged him, went down 30’ like an express elevator. Got 1 Red wing blackbird same tree.

Crow 

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve stalked several and blew a good shot the one time I had it. I wanna see that crow. Did you take pics?

Just recently acquired another shoot, 80 acre wood and total of 500 acres to shoot on. 

The reason we have got it is because of the crows, hundreds of them. 

Lot of squirrels too. 

Crows aren't stupid, very intelligent birds, there's a program on you tube, I think it's just. Called crows, a documentary, well worth watching if you can find it.

You might be surprised how clever they really are. 

Crows are phenomenally smart. They will sit and watch a field or a pond, to locate the nest of the game birds that we all love. Then they will destroy the whole nest in about 30 seconds, that’s their job.

I disagree with their job description. In fact, my job description lists kill predators that I don’t like who kill game animals...Crows are predators, Apex predators. So am I.

anytime you can put some lead in a crow it’s not only a good thing, it’s a very difficult thing. I dedicated a summer to chasing them. They don’t come around here no more...TP. 

Killing one with a springer is an accomplishment, congratulations!

in my state, you can kill one if you think they’re going to start doing damage to crops, or if they look like they may be thinking about doing damage to crops, or if they fly by crops...

Why do you think they are called a murder of crows?

well done!

mike

I will loan you a crow picture for this post, notice it’s a semi auto PCP, not a springer.

22B206F2-D08B-4549-8B5A-029DCB2511AD.1619969306.png

Thanks, I take pictures of everything, usually. 
Normally I see and hear Crows all day long every day. Haven’t heard or seen one today. Must be an Amber Alert out! 
I read somewhere Crow’s can remember faces and pass it down. I’m gonna buy all Halloween costumes I can find and I already have a contract painter, gonna change the colour of my shack every week! 
Springers are my only fix. Same as fishing I never use live bait. 
F7F8305C-FB13-4F52-AE95-6D0A2DC82125.1619975807.jpeg
 This is my living room chair partial, view (sitting now), a lot of Crows come from across the pond. Not today. Crow 

Ironically my nickname has always been Crow 

Good for you, Crowski. 37 yards ain't half bad at all. Back in the day, I used to live on slightly more than a half acre (100' X 200') whereby the house was surrounded by 7 humongous paper shell pecan trees. I had to compete w/ tons of wildlife that wanted to eat or store MY pecans for their survival. Plenty of crows there from time to time. 

Back then, I used a .20 Sheridan w/ a peep sight. Farthest shots were around 40-45 yards. 

IIRC, crows are Federally protected under a migratory bird treaty. But as Flintsack says, if you catch them in the act of predation, it is an exception.

I'm guessing you don't live in Texas?

Texas Crow Patrol

texascrowpatrol.com

Welcome to the online home of the Texas Crow Patrol, a trio of highly effective crow shooters banded together to protect our great state's valuable food crops from ravenous hordes of crows and other undesirable varmints. Our mission is to assist landowners with the removal of destructive wildlife while abiding by all applicable laws and regulations.

---

The rules changed about hunting crows. No longer can you just indiscriminately shoot them, they have to be in the act, or about to start causing damage to crops, trees, being a nuisance in numbers etc, etc.....The wording is pretty loose but be aware that it isn't like shooting pigeons anymore.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

Quote:

Unprotected Birds:

The only birds not protected by any state or federal law are European starlings, English sparrows, feral rock doves (common pigeon, Columba livia) and Eurasian collared-doves; these species may be killed at any time, their nests or eggs destroyed, and their feathers may be possessed.

Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance.

crowski 

I've become overwhelmingly soft in my old age. These days I *mostly* only shoot hosps, starlings, pigeons, poisonous snakes and turtles. Yeah, that about covers it. Pest control, type stuff. Every now and then depending on my mood, I'll shoot a couple of inches away from the snout of a squirrel if it is gobbling up too much food from my bird feeder. The whizzing of the pellet zipping past its nose will make the squirrel leap for its life. Which can be very entertaining.

IIRC, crows are Federally protected under a migratory bird treaty. But as Flintsack says, if you catch them in the act of predation, it is an exception.

Screenshot 2021-05-02 220342.1620007387.jpg

In Ohio, crows have the longest season of the year (with the exception of game with no closed season) at 9 months, but only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No bag limits and no check-ins required!

The elusive black crow!! They are so smart and inquisitive!!!

I new someone that raised one found in a barn as a baby with no parents around.

Became their pet for a while. Fed it dog food and table scraps on a window sill outdoors.

He was a watch bird as well! You had to be alert as he would dive bomb you and grab your hair while walking to the front door,

He would steal keys and hide them, sit on the hood as my friend car as he would drive away. And the crow would peck at the windshield wipers when turned on.

Then he would fly back to the yard after a mile or so.....crazy crow he was!

Disappeared as he matured It was fun while it lasted.

Also, here is a fun way to "catch a crow......"

Find a location with crows feeding in the area. Get a bag with a little trash and lay it on a lawn, field, etc..

And also a few pieces of popcorn to reward the crows for investigating the bag/trash,

You will need a few tapered paper water cups. The ones that are pointy at the bottom,

Smear some honey on then inside of the cups with a popcorn or two at the bottom as well.

The crow will investigate / see the popcorn inside the honey covered cup and go for it!

In turn the cup will stick to the crows head due to the honey, causing it to not to see what is going on with cup over the head,

Till he manages to remove it...

You can run out and grab it......or have at it with a pellet.

i just like to watch how the crow deals with the situation.

And if the crow doesn't fall for it.....he has been to that rodeo before!!

Live and learn....have a good day.

And of course clean up the trash afterwords.....record it as well for later viewings!

I only hunt Hosps and Starlings, with an occasional Feral. I do not think its fair to just snipe them (crows) for no good reason, they are worthy of better treatment then A HOSP or Starling/ those birds deserve all the lead they can get for what we ourselves caused. If you feel compelled to hunt them down (Crows) by all means, Ive personally watched them eat another birds babies while its parents cry helplessly however, Ive seen A Coopers hawk do 10 times worse, we don't shoot them much do we? Bald Eagles kill predators ! Last, If thats your bag, how do you know for sure its not a Raven? or is that ok too? I just wish more dudes with guns would hunt Starlings , HOSPS. and the grey squirrel 

...how do you know for sure its not a Raven, you ask?

Oh, that's an easy one.

CROWS

HOW TO IDENTIFY AND GET RID OF CROWS

https://www.almanac.com/pest/crows

Quote:

What’s the difference between a raven and a crow?

Crows and ravens are in the same genus (Corvus), and they have many similarities, but they are in fact different birds. Ravens are bigger and have shaggy throat feathers, while crows are smaller. Ravens also have wedge-shaped tails, while crows do not. Ravens soar more often than crows and sometimes do somersaults in the air. One of the main differences between ravens and crows is the sounds that they make. The call of a crow is a harsh, strong caw. The sound of a raven is a deeper, more throaty croak.