• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1st coon at the coop

.22 is a poor choice for body shots on a coon, even with a full auto. No matter the caliber, wait for a broadside shot. Put it at the bottom of his ear canal. I understand the dislike of these varmints, but an injured coon is even more desperate and dangerous than a healthy one, as its ability to hunt is limited. A .25 or better yet a .30 is preferred for the aforementioned head shot, and a minimum of .357 for a body shot, and even then (body shot) do not expect a DRT. Coons have tough saggy skin. They can absorb a lot of energy from a projectile as the skin just flexes inward.
I have zero problem with vital shots on coons with a .22,granted my 22 is 48fpe and 23g slugs. That said, I still take dome shots, any chance i get., in the dark is definitely going to be a vital shot.

Reactions: dizzums
I agree with you. I don't think the .22 Blitz has enough juice to seal the deal. You won't have that question with the Bulldog! Even bodyshots with Polymags will put it face down into the dirt.
haha, i like that idea .. unfortunately the bulldog wont work good with my tripod setup, i was bummed playing around with it today ... but next best thing is my souped up mrod .25, it works good in the tripod .. she puts out 33's at 60+ and is real accurate .. i tossed the thermal on it, lets see what we can bag!

20230920_175647.jpg

I have zero problem with vital shots on coons with a .22,granted my 22 is 48fpe and 23g slugs. That said, I still take dome shots, any chance i get., in the dark is definitely going to be a vital shot.
yes, if mine had of had just alittle more those first shots couldve punched through up into the neck or head .. i like .22, ammos cheap, freakin 7 bucks at walmart ..i dont want to waste any more money than i have to on these nasty critters lol .. theres alot of em around here

Reactions: rangur1
I stand corrected, I was able to watch at .25 speed and I believe several rounds hit the vitals. If a gun was to my head, my best guess is it dropped and died anywhere from 75-200 feet away would be my best guess- assuming the rounds penetrated the vitals. 22 is light. Especially full auto. Great video demonstration though!
i hope it passed ..the fence where stuff comes over or under is about 100 ft away, and the one behind the shot is onlu 30 or so ft .. so it bailed over .. couldnt find it ..

At first I thought WTF, is that a pulsed laser or something ? Then I watched a second time snd aaaaah it’s full auto.
Cool how IR source lights up pellet up skirt.
Watched it at .25 speed too. Yeah you could see how it raised its behind way up. He didn’t have a good rest of the might.
lol yeah .. if it lives its gonna be walkin funny for awhile haha

the shape of it .. it wont firmly clamp at the balance point .. im sure some inserts could made or even stuffing rags around it, but i dont want to invest time fudging with it right now .. i ran into the same issue with the akela, bullpup stocks really can only be clamped at the fore grip, which puts 3/4 of the weight hanging off the rear, which means you got to crank it extra tight to hold it in place, which means its not fluid moving, which really isnt ideal for a pesting situation

They are tough critters for sure. Anymore I go for headshots but that can be challenging at times with not staying still long enough. I felt bad about 1 shot, my aim was good but as soon as I pulled the trigger it turned it’s head towards me and it hit the top of its snout. It tumbled quite a bit and took off. I tried to track it a little while later but never found it, there was heavy blood spatter everywhere, I know it climbed a tree since there was blood all over up the trunk of it. Searched the next morning and still never found it. My old FX maverick .30 took quite a few of them with body shots, tuned to shoot the fx 44.5gr hybrid slugs at 100 fpe. Those rounds were devastating on coons and possums, they would pass through but leave exit holes about the size of a 50 cent piece. Most of them would run about 10 feet and roll over dead, however I had a couple take the same round and same shot placement and take off never to be seen again

Reactions: dizzums
They are tough critters for sure. Anymore I go for headshots but that can be challenging at times with not staying still long enough. I felt bad about 1 shot, my aim was good but as soon as I pulled the trigger it turned it’s head towards me and it hit the top of its snout. It tumbled quite a bit and took off. I tried to track it a little while later but never found it, there was heavy blood spatter everywhere, I know it climbed a tree since there was blood all over up the trunk of it. Searched the next morning and still never found it. My old FX maverick .30 took quite a few of them with body shots, tuned to shoot the fx 44.5gr hybrid slugs at 100 fpe. Those rounds were devastating on coons and possums, they would pass through but leave exit holes about the size of a 50 cent piece. Most of them would run about 10 feet and roll over dead, however I had a couple take the same round and same shot placement and take off never to be seen again
yes, i dont like things running off .. the way i got it figured at this point is .22 is good to about 8lbs .. .25 to about 15lbs .. larger stuff you need more gun, and im talking 'drop' stopping power pretty much anwhere you hit them .. im aware that a perfect hit by even a .22 can stop large stuff, its just that alot of times it wont ..

What's the issue with the Bulldog on the tripod?
the shape of it .. it wont firmly clamp at the balance point .. im sure some inserts could made or even stuffing rags around it, but i dont want to invest time fudging with it right now .. i ran into the same issue with the akela, bullpup stocks really can only be clamped at the fore grip, which puts 3/4 of the weight hanging off the rear, which means you got to crank it extra tight to hold it in place, which means its not fluid moving, which really isnt ideal for a pesting situation
I second what @dizzums is saying here. I need to figure out some options for mounting my M357 to a tripod. My Pig Saddle can’t hold it due to the tapered shape of a Bulldog stock. My .357 Bulldog slipped out of the Saddle once. I certainly don’t trust using a clamping head and walking away from it with a Bulldog between its jaws.
@dizzums What sort of clamping head are you using, a Death Grip? Have you found a workaround to the tripod mounting issue? I think I recall @N2 Shooter using a BOG FieldPod to mount his Bulldog, but I don't own one of those at the moment.