Beeman 1982 Beeman Garage score-Yay or Nay? UPDATE...

Vortek site is back up... $120 later & I have a spring kit, piston seal & breech seal on the way. Hoping for 700ish fps.

Anyone have suggestions for a scope under $200? Will be shooting targets/plinking at 30-50yards.

The Hawke Vantage 2-7 AO is a decent scope for the money. The UTG Bug Buster 3-9 AO is a good one as well.

Reactions: JDR
Vortek site is back up... $120 later & I have a spring kit, piston seal & breech seal on the way. Hoping for 700ish fps.

Anyone have suggestions for a scope under $200? Will be shooting targets/plinking at 30-50yards.
Nice. I'm needing one too. Did you get the

HW30-PG4-STEEL HO Tune Kit ?​

thanks

Reactions: HPP-Mechanic
The Hawke Vantage 2-7 AO is a decent scope for the money. The UTG Bug Buster 3-9 AO is a good one as well.
I have the Bugbuster 3x12 and love the scope. The size just works for field work and hunting and I think from the price point it is a good value. I did get a better deal on Amazon than Pyramid Air when I bought it.

With light pellets you could see close to 700 fps. Probably not with 7.9 gr you tried.

First thing I'd do is the tissue test over the breech block. If the breech seal passes
then a piston seal kit is in order. If you do get breech seal blowby, change it, and
run some more shots over the chronograph. My Feinwerkbau 124D gained well over
100 fps just by replacing a bad breech seal.
The breech seal is in bad shape-Its actually flattened out & gouged-up. I will definitely replace that first & chrony before installing the piston seal & spring kit. The barrel has some up-down wiggle/slop when closed too.

The breech seal is in bad shape-Its actually flattened out & gouged-up. I will definitely replace that first & chrony before installing the piston seal & spring kit. The barrel has some up-down wiggle/slop when closed too.
That kind of wiggle isn't good and probably related to a barrel pivot screw issue.

• Sad
Had some time to install Vortek kit today. I was unable to use the piston seal they sent-way too tight, so I re-installed the stock piston seal that looked decent still. I didnt need a spring compressor, as the spring just needed a little compression to go back in. New breech seal took care of the barrel play & there is no more slop. Not impressed with the 444 fps with 7.9g Crosman premier hollow points. Could I have been sent a wrong kit? I will call tomorrow.

Had some time to install Vortek kit today. I was unable to use the piston seal they sent-way too tight, so I re-installed the stock piston seal that looked decent still. I didnt need a spring compressor, as the spring just needed a little compression to go back in. New breech seal took care of the barrel play & there is no more slop. Not impressed with the 444 fps with 7.9g Crosman premier hollow points. Could I have been sent a wrong kit? I will call tomorrow.
Interesting about the lower power. i was wondering about this. The early no safety R7 has a bit longer chamber if I remember correctly. ARH states on their website that for the older R7s, he supplies a 0.4" spacer. I wonder if this is the issue with the Vortek kit?

Interesting about the lower power. i was wondering about this. The early no safety R7 has a bit longer chamber if I remember correctly. ARH states on their website that for the older R7s, he supplies a 0.4" spacer. I wonder if this is the issue with the Vortek kit?
The seal I was sent is in fact 26mm! I called Vortek and after a few questions, he realized that I was sent the wrong seal & has a 25mm on the way.

The original seal was yellowish plastic/rubber material, not leather. He is also sending a spring w/2 additional coils that i can shorten, if needed. Not sure who I talked to, but he knew his stuff and they just made an honest mistake, and are fixing it!

Reactions: beerthief
The seal I was sent is in fact 26mm! I called Vortek and after a few questions, he realized that I was sent the wrong seal & has a 25mm on the way.

The original seal was yellowish plastic/rubber material, not leather. He is also sending a spring w/2 additional coils that i can shorten, if needed. Not sure who I talked to, but he knew his stuff and they just made an honest mistake, and are fixing it!
great. thanks for the follow up. now i know to remind them i need for old R7 and need the extra spring coils and 25mm seal.

Probably. In addition to having the wrong seal pounded in. Yeah, they're longer

The barrel should lock up tight with no play, without any breech seal at all installed. If you are relying on the breech seal to keep the lockup tight you are going to be dealing with vertical stringing as the breech seal seats and wears.

I have a really clean older one at home now that saw little use. It has a sloppy lockup too and I haven't found a good way to fix it. At least now I know why it wasn't used much lol

Check for wear on the pin that the detent ball works against. If it's grooves you can press that pin out and spin it and reinstall it to fix it. I wasn't this lucky, but I've seen others that were.

My no-safety R7 is my favorite rifle. It is almost always in the truck waiting for a good opportunity to shoot.

IMG_0115.jpeg