RWS 1981 rws model 27 piston seal

Hello everyone,I pulled my beloved diana 27 out tonight for a few shots,and the pellet won't even leave the barrel. This rifle fired fine a week ago,I am assuming my piston seal decided now was a good time to die.did the later model 27's come with a synthetic seal? Based on how fast this rifle went from hero to zero makes me think its synthetic,and it just crumbled away. I know most 27's came with leather seals,but this is a later model.

It's a synthetic breech seal,so I guess provided nobody has changed it already,should mean the piston seal is synthetic...thanks!

I don't disagree with Guru Marflow very often! But to the best of my knowledge, the model 27 never had anything but a leather piston seal. The breech seal went from leather to a rubber O-ring in the late 50's or early 60's, but the leather seal never changed.

On the other hand, that type of sudden failure would be quite odd for a leather seal. If you find something different in there, please let us know! I could be wrong, the seal could have been changed post-factory, or...???

This piston is from a model 27 made in 1970. Note that the screw securing the seal has a blind stake rod (arrow) to keep it from turning. To get the screw out, you have to torque it hard enough to shear the rod.

IMG_4061.jpeg

Last edited:
no Guru here it was a assumption and yes i did see the buna seal for the breech offered and if that had been used then my assumption was wrong and knowing that leather seals last forever till they dry out only to be made to work again with oil
i might have overstep myself here

Guru Driskill you are right it could be a mix of leather and synthetic, in any case a look inside could solve the question to why it stopped working but i think i would oil up the seal just for fun before the tools come out