Daisy 1981 Daisy 880 epoxy barrel?

Rast

Mar 11, 2024
Hi y'all
I just finished rebuilding the seals in a sweet old Daisy 880, shes shooting with some power now!
Only thing is, terribly innacurate!
Shoots very, very high.
Anyway, I was reading you can epoxy the barrel, as well wrap the top of barrel in electrical tape to fit snugger inside the shroud.

Question;

Where would one apply said epoxy to the barrel?
Does anyone have a photo or can anyone draw a red arrow on a photo? lol..

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any help bringing this ol' American made Daisy back to zero

IMG_20240311_153343005.jpg

Reactions: bf1956
question
did this rifle shoot well with the Williams sight before the rebuild
if epoxy was used it would be epoxy putty like JB Weld makes
so you have the William sight adjusted all the way down and if so the sight will not work
the front sight new or old are the piece that hold the barrel centered in the shroud
but it all i can assume from the picture

Reactions: Rast
Thanks for your input

This rifles seals were completely useless when I got the gun from local estate auction, so this is the first time I've had it shooting.

It shot high with the stock rear sight, installed Williams notched and adjusted it while shooting all the way down as far as it would go, and still shooting really high. Like 6" high.

The front sight is stock,

Are you saying the front sight holds the barrel onto the shroud? If yes, I didn't know that.

Do you know where to put the epoxy?

they are not epoxying the barrel they are adding epoxy to the head of the piston to make the clearance as close to the valve as possible
epoxy the barrel i'm going what the hell
if you want to soup up your inexpensive rifle go ahead i for one would not waste my time

the front sight holds the barrel and the shroud hold the front sight
and that is true on the old guns and the guns of today

they are not epoxying the barrel they are adding epoxy to the head of the piston to make the clearance as close to the valve as possible
epoxy the barrel i'm going what the hell
if you want to soup up your inexpensive rifle go ahead i for one would not waste my time

the front sight holds the barrel and the shroud hold the front sight
and that is true on the old guns and the guns of today
🤔 I'll have to do some digging.. I'm nearly positive I've read many a time about gluing the barrel as the barrel has a lot of play.. accuracy mod..
Wouldn't adding epoxy to the piston be a power mod?
I'm new to working in airguns! ( But not to shootn' em' )
Thanks 🤙

no the trick was to add Delrin spacer in the shroud and quite frankly a lot of damn work to spend on a 70 buck gun
to tinker just to tinker, is what really

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=62220.0

people have been epoxying piston heads on SSP pistol for a long time
when you have a pistol that is making 380-410 from the factory an extra 25-40fps looks like a lot so they modify the piston head so it get every square millimeter of air compressed

if you are shooting high with factory sight laying on the barrel your only choice is to raise the from sight
you can do that by buying some carbine fiber sticks off Ebay you can get then in 3-4-5mm square stock
easy to work with and can be epoxied in place
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1659309936...9X12FEmzp6ElJ9ccNFV/+Rgg==|tkp:Bk9SR6SD9ovGYw

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Zack 2
I've used epoxy to secure the actual straw barrel within the false outer barrel before. Also have used pure silicone caulk as a less permanent barrel stabilizer, but prefer the tape mod or epoxy...

The way I used epoxy was to start with doing the "tape mod", basically wrapping the inner barrel with tape until it fit snuggly within the outer barrel, around the halfway point to three quarters up the barrel. Then install the outer barrel, with the front sight removed. Using a two part epoxy that comes in a syringe type dispenser, apply the epoxy from the open end of the false barrel (stick the syringe in between the actual barrel and outer false barrel). Leave room to reinstall the front sight again without dipping into the epoxy and leave the gun muzzle up as the epoxy cures. As a precaution, it's a good idea to tape up the muzzle of the actual barrel to keep epoxy out. Also, giving the interior of the false barrel a good swabbing with an oiled cloth will help release the false barrel if or when you plan to disassemble again, the epoxy will bond to the inner barrel for a permanent/fitted barrel stabilizer.

Edited in:

Personally, I'd try just wrapping the inner barrel with electrical tape until it fits tight within the outer shroud, especially since you have a vintage 880. It takes a little trial and error but is not a difficult process. If possible, wrap near the muzzle end but leave room for the sight. Also, some years of the 880 came with a smooth bore, I believe. If memory serves correctly there was an 880 (smooth bore) and 881 (rifled) during this period, but I'm not certain as to when this was. If the front sight holds the straw barrel snuggly in place you might find little to no benefit in the tape mod or an epoxy stabilizer. If this is the case, acquiring a new barrel might be a solution if you find poor accuracy, won't help for shooting too high. I don't know if new barrels from Daisy will be a drop-in replacement or not.

Last edited: