• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning 1939 Craftsman spring compressor

I bored a 5/8" hole in a Douglas fir 2x4. It's 2x4 clear lumber, not a stud. Douglas fir is harder. I have a lot of the fir scraps left over from a job. The FWB 124 barrel fits well enough that the gun won't slop around while I work. Clamped the wood to the table such that the barrel won't rub on the hole in the table. Used a brass scrap to protect the finish on the trigger block and avoid the safety. Extended the quill about 4 inches so when I pressed down and took out the trigger block retaining lug all I had to do is let the quill retract a few inches. Works perfect.

The 1939 Craftsman drill press (Mine wears the original blue color I custom matched) was manufactured by Atlas Press Co. Kalamazoo, Michigan. Same company that made the infamous Atlas metal lathes, drill presses, bench top horizontal milling machine, 7" bench top metal shaper, and several popular vintage woodworking machines. My grey Atlas drill press is from 1957. Atlas later became Clausing and made some very fine quality metal lathes as well as other machine tools. Including the 8500 series 6 x 26 table vertical milling machines so sought after by hobbyists.

IMG_3770.1602547044.JPG
IMG_3775.1602547062.JPG
IMG_3776.1602547078.JPG
IMG_3777.1602547089.JPG

Thanks for looking 👍

And an FWB 124/127 too !!

Creative .. tho lacks any lateral stability which many times happens with long springs and high preload.

Just be very careful doing it this way ... for it the assemble suddenly gets displaced sideways it all goes crashing to the floor !!

The barrel fits the wood very well. Douglas fir is harder than a stud. See the machinist clamps? Solid. It's not the original long spring. I just put it back together. Worked great or I wouldn't have done it this way. I have also done it in a lathe chuck and used the tailstock ram and a live center with a flat face pipe center in it. Of course you don't even need a compressor for many. I just did my Webley Stingray by hand NP. Had to make a new spring guide for it. The original was snapped.

You might get to see the FWB's stock I beautified.. Beech. Most would say my technique is wrong. But... Now it looks like beautiful walnut. Would fool most anybody.. I'll try to take pictures that show it well. I can't even believe it looks so good. I guess I got lucky. Again. I'm going back out to my shop to put the stock on now. 

I put the action back in the stock and took it outside my shop and fired it. Hey! Where's the twang these are supposed to have? Nice thunk!

I bought this gun in an online auction with a bad seal. The stock needed a little help. It came with a nice RWS Hakko 4x32. I don't think other bidders knew what that is. 👍Score! I never handled a FWB 124 before so I'm starting to see the light. The trigger had no second stage. Just a long creep and the gun went off. Lol! It took me about 30 seconds to find the magic spot. Very nice trigger hiding there! Wow! I can't wait to take this sweet looking (now) darling out and shoot it.😃 😃 Under $400 in it no complaints

I'll post a pic when I can. Tell what I did to the stock

Thank you

First picture is how I got it. Had who knows what on it. The stock was actually in pretty good shape. Raised a few little pressure marks with steam. Then I just rubbed some oil stain over that. I lightly "painted" it on with paper towel (evenly) because the stain would just wipe off if you did the regular stain and wipe. I had an old can of walnut stain on the shelf. Improved that a little after it dried. Later I rubbed it out with Tru oil a few times. Did a little sanding to it, you know. Has the typical rubbed dry Tru oil look . Not at all wanting a layer of plastic look. Darn thing came out really nice. The darker area on the butt area is a shadow. Was worth a try I had nothing to lose. I'm glad I didn't waste my time stripping it first.. Wasn't necessary. Very pleasing. 

Notice the vintage RWS Hakko that came with it? Beeman rings look nice but the aluminum clasps are crap flimsy. I made steel clasps before but it's a lot of work. At least they don't bend. That's why those rings were discontinued. 

Next I am going to make a slender muzzle brake that won't add any length to the "already long enough" barrel. Not sure how I'll finish it yet. Gloss black or satin. Too slender for a set screw I'll have to cement it on. I have a new "heat sink" Beeman muzzle brake but I'm not that fond of the "Buck Rogers space pistol" look on the end of the barrel.

IMG_3593.1603062563.jpg
IMG_3782.1603062584.jpg
IMG_3783 2.1603062616.jpg