18gr Air Arms: Best Kept Secret???

I had an accident today, I had two magazines loaded up to test out of my Crown's 380mm barrel. I had several targets setup, and was testing the one setup at 152y - I mistakenly loaded the mag with 18gr AA pellets and shot them with the power configuration that I had for 25gr ammo. 

After the first shot, I knew that something was different than the previous mag. My POI was way high, and when I looked up at my LabRadar it recorded the last shot at 978fps LOL

Anyways, I realized the mistake - but continued to unload the mag on this middle range target. I think this was probably my best two groups ever with 18gr our that far! Wind was light, breeze was recorded around 6mph max at the time I shot them..

1561859089_13918847605d1814115d1021.57474618_F1437A03-14DB-4C33-B16B-DDCB9B7152CB.jpeg

Not bad for 152y!

Man that is cruising for a 380 barrel. Power settings?

Power was set high when I shot them, somewhere north of 160bar. I had the modified hammer spring seat and my new / prototype solid brass hammer weight in there as well, but realistically it's not the greatest idea in the world to shoot 18gr pellets with that configuration. I did wind up shooting that mag, but I spend the 4-5 minutes to uninstall the hammer weight parts and reinstall the factory components. It's just too hard to try and detune otherwise.

For what it is worth, the AA 18 g pellets seem to perform much better in my rifles than do the JSBs, and supposedly they are both made by JSB, but if one were to see the consistently different results on paper you would not think so....

Night and day differences! With that said, I have had a pretty good run of luck with JSBs lately. The 3 dozen tins in various .22 sizes have been nearly 💯 quality-wise.. these AA's are just in a different league though!