• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

1776 FPE 82 caliber Helium Air Rifle

Helium can be used in any PCP gun. The few people I know who've tried it said that, if the valve poppet spring and hammer spring is set the same as for an air fill then most of the helium escapes with the first shot. With a lighter spring it still produces more power but without producing a shot count that is too low.

Getting 4500 psi helium fills is possible but not easy, the guy in the video was buying helium tanks at lower pressure and using his shoebox compressor to raise the pressure while transferring the HE into his scba tank.

For practical purposes, the only people that seem to have a need for HE are people who use extreme big bores for hunting large game like buffalo and bear, or people that live in states that enforce a high minimum fpe lower limit for hunting rifles (so helium is the only way to achieve it with an air rifle). 

I can't help thinking that if a man (or woman) needs that much power, perhaps an air rifle is not the right tool. Still, it was awesome watching the experiment. It's the first time an air rifle actually sounded loud on a YouTube clip. 

Guess that's why there's such a fuss in the uk over helium filling air rifles! It's spoken of like it'll blow the neighbourhood to pieces if you even dared think about it.

I assume someone has realised the potential for easily covered misuse (think sub 12fpe, anti tamper etc) and down the seed of doom.

Not something I'd ever try but an interesting video none the less.

"MrAirgun"Guess that's why there's such a fuss in the uk over helium filling air rifles! It's spoken of like it'll blow the neighbourhood to pieces if you even dared think about it.

I assume someone has realised the potential for easily covered misuse (think sub 12fpe, anti tamper etc) and down the seed of doom.

Not something I'd ever try but an interesting video none the less.
Even without helium it's not massively difficult to make a sub 12 ft lb gun shoot over 12 ft lb. Every car is capable of driving over the speed limit too. I'm sure many people secretly break that law, just like the speed limit. It just becomes an issue if they get caught. 

"hasenpfeffer"Definitely a "because we can" project. :)
That's true in most cases if achieving max fpe is the goal. I was wondering if there was an alternative use if the power level was kept constant. For example, could it be used to make a compact air gun that uses disposable helium cartridges like 12g co2.

The other thing is those reusable air cartridges made for the Mac 35 and 257. Instead of requiring 4500psi of air, it might be more user friendly if they used 3000 psi of helium.

Another potential would be to use it with a regular air rifle with a super light spring to run it at a lower regulator pressure to achieve more shots per fill.