1776 FPE 82 caliber Helium Air Rifle

Boy am I glad I am not your neighbor Tedd if that is what you shoot in your back yard, lol My wife thinks my small air guns are obnoxious, I think she would have a fit if I were to start shooting something like that in our back field. That is a beast of a gun! I hate to think what it will do to the animal on the receiving end, those slugs really opened up, they would make one big hole in anything it hits. 

I got a similar peak power curve that day with my XP .452 using helium.

A 128 grain bullet gave 1410 FPS and 565 FPE, with only 3600 PSI, and only a 23-inch barrel, with standard spring and valve. It was basically a single "dump" shot with an end pressure of 850 PSI.

I'm guessing that different helium PSI and spring/valve tuning could result in 3 useful shots, at lower power, but still more powerful than regular air.

Tedd

Some one school me on Helium, Why is it putting that much power in an air gun,
If you tried to shoot it in a regular PCP what would happen?
I do think it a little over kill for sparrows, Sure would save me a lot of time on the clean up of sparrow parts,
In my area when I was trying to get a 6000 psi nitrogen tank they (lots of shops) Thought I was nuts.
If I went back and tried to get Helium they would send me to the funny farm,

Mike

Reactions: HKVP9
Helium is much smaller and lighter than nitrogen, which is the predominant composition of air, in addition to oxygen and carbon dioxide. So at any given relative pressure to air, it can move more rapidly, including the energy required to overcome static inertia. That translates into more energy behind the projectile, essentially. Here is a cool interactive periodic table of elements: http://www.ptable.com

ok, probably not that cool to most :)

iride-- on the diffeience due to He:

for practical purposes, the size of the gas molecule does not matter, only the mass does.

The ideal gas law approximates all gases at a set volume, temperature, and pressure as having the same number of molecules. Helium is monoatomic, molecular weight about 4. Air is about 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen; both are pairs of atoms. Nsub2 and Osub2 have weights of approximately 28 and 32 respectively.The effecive molecular weight of air is thus about 29. The average kinetic energies of a volume of He and of air are equal, so we have :

Mass He(velocity He)^2=mass air(velocity of air)^2
4(v He}^2=29(v air}^2
If we call the velocity of the air molecules 1, we get
4(v He)^2=29
v(He)^2=29/4= 7.25
v(He)=2.7 times the speed of air

So helium has the same energy to impart as a matching volume of air, but does it faster, yielding a more effecient transfer of energy.