.177 ZAN Projectiles slugs

I have never really tried hard with the 10 grain slugs, but i think i could get them to work ( in my Maverick ) out there ( about 100 yards, or 92 which i think the 86 M i shoot now translate to )
My focus have been too hard on the 13 grain slugs, and heavier though for me that have not worked and i get groups about as you get here with the 10 gr.

But i am contemplating dialing my Vulcan 3 in to shoot 10 gr slugs, and then hope with that setting 10.3 and 13.4 gr pellets will work too, but i am not sure that rifle will do super good at those distances, using 13 gr in it i can pretty much keep my shots on a 2" or a 3" target for sure, but same 13 gr Zans in my Maverick and i can do under 1" five shot groups.
Of course that is a 700 mm barrel VS the 530 mm one on the Vulcan 3

I think opposite of what i normally do, i will turn the Vulcan 3 regulator way back to ?? BAR, and then work my way up in reg pressure.
I have wasted a lot of time and lead trying to shoot things too fast at least in my Maverick.

I have never really tried hard with the 10 grain slugs, but i think i could get them to work ( in my Maverick ) out there ( about 100 yards, or 92 which i think the 86 M i shoot now translate to )
My focus have been too hard on the 13 grain slugs, and heavier though for me that have not worked and i get groups about as you get here with the 10 gr.

But i am contemplating dialing my Vulcan 3 in to shoot 10 gr slugs, and then hope with that setting 10.3 and 13.4 gr pellets will work too, but i am not sure that rifle will do super good at those distances, using 13 gr in it i can pretty much keep my shots on a 2" or a 3" target for sure, but same 13 gr Zans in my Maverick and i can do under 1" five shot groups.
Of course that is a 700 mm barrel VS the 530 mm one on the Vulcan 3

I think opposite of what i normally do, i will turn the Vulcan 3 regulator way back to ?? BAR, and then work my way up in reg pressure.
I have wasted a lot of time and lead trying to shoot things too fast at least in my Maverick.
Peashooter...I played with um too when i first got slug bug bit.. MK3 wildcat compact .177 xl plenum on a tube gun.. very similar platforms, mines just half the volume..Im guessn.....gun was tuned for 10.4 atomics..lol. not slugs....178 nielsens, ?wildmans, H&N's and 177.5 zans.....straight into the mags and shootin....MY GUN..MY LINER NEW SHOOTER .....looks like the zans were the luck of the draw.....for my guns set-up.....I shoot the 13's in a 600mm/hugget....laser to 50 yrds...(thats all I have) lol

IMG_20240113_170229034.jpg

Reactions: Peashooter
Prophetganda...the 10's were showing potential at 700/750 fps......those are "first run" for me with slugs.....They seemed to me to be real picky about waste air....so according to how my wormy little brain works....i loaded some 13's.....reg settled n man...i was on to something........way tighter...But I AM NOT a tuner.....im tryn to learn...lota guys here have helped.....But I'm no Ken Hicks....(damit.lol if i knew just 10% of what he's forgotten.....i'd be a happy camper).......Im still in the early learning stages about lock time, and how these things actually work......its fun for sure....but im a little impatient,to put it mildly..lol......

Prophetganda...the 10's were showing potential at 700/750 fps......those are "first run" for me with slugs.....They seemed to me to be real picky about waste air....so according to how my wormy little brain works....i loaded some 13's.....reg settled n man...i was on to something........way tighter...But I AM NOT a tuner.....im tryn to learn...lota guys here have helped.....But I'm no Ken Hicks....(damit.lol if i knew just 10% of what he's forgotten.....i'd be a happy camper).......Im still in the early learning stages about lock time, and how these things actually work......it’s fun for sure....but im a little impatient,to put it mildly..lol......
I’m not a tuner either brother, I’ve gotten very lucky over the years. I have the prophet compact and a Stoeger bullshrk that both like the knockouts (both weights) and the Zan 13s same hole stupid accurate. That’s LUCK, not skill!!

I did notice this......i couldn't find a 600 stx liner for the wildcat....so I had to buy a complete impact barrel in .177.....the extra runway helped...evn my dumbass cud see that.....so outa simple curiousity i flipped it to the dual flow port......gun settled way dwn..speed went from 900's to 1050 fps.....(im deaf so i gota tune with the shroud off just to hear the difference)...I started at 1050 n subtracted my 3% and worked down from there....at 5%...990 ish....thats when it started hitn what i was aimimg at........But I cheated...I put one of these Euro power wheels on....n i dial 10/20 fps without havin to get that allen key out to adjust hammer spring tension......impatient & lazy paid off in this case.....i love that adjuster

IMG_20240114_204710976.jpg

I got a box of the lead free 8 gr Zan slugs, though at first for my friend to try in his more anemic rifles, but for sure i will give them a spin in the Vulcan 3 too

One prolem ! they are quite expensive, get 200 for the same price you pay for 400 in 13 gr + lead.
When you can shoot + 2 tins of 400 in a session, that would be a significant change in cost if i was to shoot the 8 grainers like that.

But so far 13 is good to me, and in that case i would rather stay with lead but go up in weight.

Reactions: stretch56