• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 vs .22 springer pesting

I'm curious to know which caliber springer guys like to use for pesting. My Hatsan 87 QE is throwing 15.9gr JSB's out in the 680's to 690fps range so its not overly powerful, but no slouch either. Still I have to wonder if maybe I might be better off using a .177 springer instead. That of course has lead me into looking over everything from Weihrauch HW's, RWS, the Air Arms TX line, and of course other Hatsan springers lately.

So the question is, would a .177 springer using CPHP's or Predator Polymags be a better match for what I'm doing now, or am I just better off using current springer?

Either will get the job done, as has been said before many times-shot placement is key. Having said that I used to do all my pesting with a 10 meter match type rifle in .177 that puts out a blistering 550 fps. Usually my shots were under 25 yards. After being overrun with ground squirrels due to development nearby I ended up with a Beeman R9 in .22, it really extended my range. In my experience it does seem as if the heavier .22 hits with more thump. The trade off is a loopier trajectory. In my opinion you can not go wrong with an HW springer.
John

I suppose it depends both upon what type of pests you're after. I have two gas-ram Hatsans (a 155 in .177 and a 135 in .22), and a spring-piston Gamo (a .177 Silent Cat). All of them have taken critters up to possum-size with proper shot placement, but the Gamo occasionally requires a follow-up shot. I wouldn't try for anything bigger than a rabbit without either of the Hatsans (now that I have them, that is), and I would err for a .22 for just to be sure.
If I were going to use a .22, I would prefer to use one in the super-magnum class, meaning one that puts out a lead-proven 1000+ FPS muzzle velocity. This eliminates some of the parabolic trajectory inherent to the caliber. There aren't a lot of .22 springers that can manage that kind of velocity, but a few examples are the Benjamin NP2 line, Hatsan's super-mag models (155/150/125/135), Umarex's Octane, and Gamo's IGT Magnum. Given my pick of the litter, I would opt for the Hatsan offerings (excellent triggers, but can be hit-or-miss with build quality), or the Umarex. Benjamin gets a lot of love around here, but I'm not a fan of their triggers and lack of iron sights.

I have a pretty fair arsenal for handling anything above squirrel size right now. My main idea was to just have something to grab when my tank is low for handling pest birds. My 87 is up to the task for certain on that, but I wanted something a little more accurate that would have less pass through than what I've been experiencing lately because the starlings are starting to wise up to where I can take shots at them.

My only other options would be a multi-pump like the 397 and 392, but I'm really not keen on doing all that pumping.

JD, that is all the more reason to splurge on a nice 18lb cocking effort HW30.
Or even better a 12lb cocking effort FWB300 which requires more shoulder
and less elbow movement. The only trade off is about twice the weight.
I know where your coming from, two tore rotator cuffs here.
I've got a very much unused LGV master with about 39lbs of cocking effort that
will very likely be in the classifieds one day.

Opinion only here........springers are best in .177 caliber. You can get the velocity up there where it needs to be to keep a flatter trajectory without going to a magnum springer/ram. It will be much easier to hit what your aiming at.....like a squirrel head. The .22 does hit harder but is very loopy in its trajectory. If you get a magnum spring, gas ram .22 that shoots 900 fps then the trajectory will be good but good luck hitting anything with it past 20 to 30 yards. I guess it comes down to how accurate is accurate enough for you.

I agree totally with Marksman /\ I thought I would prefer the 22 over the 177 for my 35 yard shots but I ended up preferring the 177 due to its flatter trajectory. Both my (1000 true FPS) 17 springer and Nitro Piston 17 (1100 true FPS) are easy to hit on target from 10-35 yards. However my 22 Nitro Piston ( True 750 FPS) seems to be challenging to calculate trajectory arch at anything past 20 yards. It may be because I am not used to it, or its not broken in yet, but whatever it is I dont feel accurate enough at this point to call it my go to.

I really like .177 in my springers. When you get the power level of a .22 up to the point to nearly match the trajectory of a .177, they are hard to shoot accurately. And I see no point at all in owning a springer that's hard to shoot accurately. 

I hunt with .177 springers ranging in power from a 7fpe FWB300s, to a whopping 12fpe in an HW77K. I also have an HW80 at 16fpe, and find it to be the one I use the least. 

Any will work when you hit where you are aiming. The .177 will fly flatter and have less chance of causing unintentional damage if you miss or get a pass-through in an urban environment. 

But, then again you should try them all just for fun and to see what you like. 

The only real advice I have in this loosely tied together post is this:

Don't discount an accurate and pleasant to shoot low to mid powered .177. They worked for the first 80 or so years, and they still work now. The critters didn't get any tougher.

If you're having shoulder pain and are in doubt that a .177 is enough for your pests, why not invest in a .22 cal PCP gun?

I have several springers, all in .177. An HW30s, nice finish, but it has trigger mechanism issues. Other than that, I can vouch for it being a pleasure to shoot. I popped a couple small birds out at about 20 yards with it, but I'm not sure it'd kill anything bigger than a rabbit, and even that would require a head shot. That's my low power springer. Specs say 675 fps max, so that's probably with a 7 gr. pellet.

I have a Stoeger X20, which is my mid-powered .177 springer. Sends out the Crosman Premier Lights (7.9 gr.) at around 900 fps. This one would probably do OK on rabbit sized game even with a chest shot, out to 25 yards. Its accurate enough to make head shots out to maybe 30-35 yards, with a good trigger added.

Lastly, I have a Diana 56TH, which is a magnum class. (1100 fps) Not too bad to cock, since it has that big side lever. Recoil is non-existent, and it is not the least hold-sensitive. But if you have shoulder pain, it's not the one for you, as it is quite heavy. It also beats the hell out of scopes, and I haven't found a mount that will hold them steady yet.

.177 is plenty for your intended needs. Having said that, I prefer .22 for serious hunting duty. My Diana 48 and 350 have no problem grouping into 3/4" at 30 yards. The conventional "wisdom" that hard hitting springers aren't accurate is drivel IMO. The 48 (with Vortek kit) shoots around 20 ft/lb (820 fps with 13.4 gr. AA) and the 350 around 23-24 ft/lb. The 48 is as easy to shoot accurately as my D34 was. Hope your medical issues are resolved and you can get back to springer shootin'.

Scotty

This week I go see a rheumatologist. Since I stopped using my springer my elbow and shoulder pains have lessened. I still have problems with the knuckle on my right middle finger.

As for shooting I've found my P-rod to be my best practice gun since my pain issues started. Lucky for me the hardest PCP for me to cock is my .30 cal BT65, and so far it hasn't aggravated my problems as of yet.

Hopefully things don't go to bad at the visit.