• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 vs .22 practical trajectory?

I asked this question as part of another discussion, but I thought I would post it as a separate topic since it may be useful to others not participating in that particular thread. 

Anyway, what is the difference in trajectory between .177 and .22 out to a distance of 50 yards max? I understand that it's not a fair comparison of a lightweight .177 vs a heavyweight .22. I'm talking about the "typical" weights of pellets used in each. 

I'm still new to airguns, so please forgive my ignorance. 

as said above ... typically using standard weight pellets and an average tune a 177 shoots faster and flatter .. with a .22 and .177 in the same gun for example, and both sighted at optimal distance for longest point blank range, the 177 will need less holdover at 50 ... it wont be much difference at that range we're talking 3/4 vs 1.5" .... but as said its all about speed 'mostly' when it comes to trajectory ..all objects fall at the same rate regardless of weight .... wind effect is another factor but not the main, it can effect distance and windage more with a lighter projectile ..

Hey buddy,

I hope that AG is treating you well🙂.

If you want to get into knowing the trajectory for it or anything else, I have to say this, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelokpro&hl=en&gl=US can't be beat!

Airguns aren't just something to shoot when one can't get out to the range. Subsonic airgun projectiles will make a expert marksman out of anyone that starts down this road. Several programs out there to map your projectiles flight path as far as you're willing to holdover & click.

BD2EC9D5-09E7-4E97-B0FD-1BA26690F8B0.1629153568.jpeg

Hey buddy,

I hope that AG is treating you well
1f642.svg

Airguns aren't just something to shoot when one can't get out to the range. Subsonic airgun projectiles will make a expert marksman out of anyone that starts down this road. Several programs out there to map your projectiles flight path as far as you're willing to holdover & click.

Yep, the Marauder is doing fine. I'm already looking for another more traditional looking rifle like maybe a Daystate Huntsman and I'm trying to decide on whether to get it in .22 or .177.

As far as practical trajectory out to 50 yards, the .177 may have a flatter trajectory, but the .22 will be better in the wind. Even a slight wind 1-3 mph will affect POI at 50 yards. I find it easier to compensate for elevation than windage but get lots of practice using both. It's consistently windy where I shoot so I favor a .22

Reactions: Ozark
Let's say you have a .177 shooting 10.34gr at 880fps and then a .22 shooting 18.13gr at 880fps. Very minimal difference in trajectory with .22 actually being "flatter" due to a slightly better BC.

Add to that.... at closer ranges, no difference..... the farther you shoot, the more difference the higher bc on the 22 will make. The bc is an expression of the amount of drag experienced by the projectile. Not all 22 pellets are higher than all 177. If you look on JSBs web site, they have a chart of all the pellets they make with their respective bc. At 50 yds, my ballistic app shows 0.8 mils of drop for the 18.1s and 0.9 mils for the 10.34s. At 100 yds, it's 4.8 mils for the 18.1s and 5.2 mils for the 10.34s. At 100 yds , a 10 mph wind would blow the 18.1s 3.5 mils and the 10.34s would blow 4.1 mils. A mil is approximately 3.6 inches . 

Bob

Let's say you have a .177 shooting 10.34gr at 880fps and then a .22 shooting 18.13gr at 880fps. Very minimal difference in trajectory with .22 actually being "flatter" due to a slightly better BC.

Add to that.... at closer ranges, no difference..... the farther you shoot, the more difference the higher bc on the 22 will make. The bc is an expression of the amount of drag experienced by the projectile. Not all 22 pellets are higher than all 177. If you look on JSBs web site, they have a chart of all the pellets they make with their respective bc. At 50 yds, my ballistic app shows 0.8 mils of drop for the 18.1s and 0.9 mils for the 10.34s. At 100 yds, it's 4.8 mils for the 18.1s and 5.2 mils for the 10.34s. At 100 yds , a 10 mph wind would blow the 18.1s 3.5 mils and the 10.34s would blow 4.1 mils. A mil is approximately 3.6 inches . 

Bob

That is very interesting data.

Bob

That is very interesting data.

For me the more interesting point is the one in regard of side displacement by wind blow.

I really would like to now how to measure it. I gave a try on other thread. 

I asked this question as part of another discussion, but I thought I would post it as a separate topic since it may be useful to others not participating in that particular thread. 

Anyway, what is the difference in trajectory between .177 and .22 out to a distance of 50 yards max? I understand that it's not a fair comparison of a lightweight .177 vs a heavyweight .22. I'm talking about the "typical" weights of pellets used in each. 

I'm still new to airguns, so please forgive my ignorance.

I ran these in another thread for Polymag shorts in 177 and 22. That may have been for you in the other thread you mentioned. I'll post them again in case it was a different thread.

I kept power consistent for both calibers at 15 FPE. Used the same scope height and optimal zero for both calibers. 1/2" kill zone.

177 had a point blank range (PBR) of 15 to 38.7 yards or a 23.7 yard "flat" zone with that scope height.

At 50 yards the 177 Polymag short drops 1.86".

22 had a PBR of 11.8 to 31.5 yards. The flat zone is four yards shorter at 19.7 yards.

At 50 yards the 22 Polymag short drops 4.27".

Do note that Polymags don't have a high ballistic coefficient so there are similar weight pellets that will perform better.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I like heavier pellets at my current house as the PBR plays nicer with the variety of distances I find pests at. Most importantly the closest shots are right in my PBR with a heavier pellet. I can just point and shoot without hold over or hold under.

In the above case both projectiles require hold over at 50 so I don't particular care how much it is as I still have to have a dope sheet for both. In general I don't mind taking my time figuring our holdover for longer distances. But those close shots I just want to aim and shoot so heavier pellets work better for me currently.

I highly recommend downloading the Desktop version of Chairgun while it's still available. I just got a new phone last week so I guess I have to get Strelok or one of the more detailed apps now.

But I really like the desktop version of Chairgun for its simplicity and wish I had downloaded it way earlier during my PCP hobby.

polymag short 177.1629245861.PNG

polymag short 22.1629245878.PNG