• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

177 vs 22 cal for springers

Sound=toss up, most of the noise is from the spring action itself...
Effective range=....The .22 has the advantage of greater momentum whereas the .177 has the advantage of a flatter trajectory, especially past 40 meters. In my opinion, in sub 12 ft/lb springers the .177 has the advantage. For a 13-17 ft/lb springer, I believe it's a tossup. IMO
Well said. Since most folks shoot the pellet that their gun shoots well, the mass and the BC of said pellet becomes a large factor down range. People in general are not very adept at estimating distance under varying field conditions. Plus or minus a couple yards after 40 or so yards makes a big difference for almost all springers. I used to shoot a lot of competitive archery, field target unknown distance with traditional bare bow, range estimation was the biggest factor in the outcome of most events for a group of experienced archers. Ditto air guns, plus wind effects.

I use only .22. Mainly to simplify my ammo stock.

This is a very interesting question. I don't think .22 is necessarily a liability in low powered guns. The pellet drop at typical springer hunting ranges is not that much different between .177 and .22.

My .22 HW30 shoots 14.6 grain FTTs at around 520 fps/8.7 fpe. (With a Vortek PG2 spring and seal). Hawke Chairgun shows the 1/2 inch killzone at 520 fps is about 15 yards long. Going to an 8.7 grain .177 FTT raises velocity to 680 fps and extends the killzone length to 20 yards.

So if I zero my .22 HW30 at 10 yards, the trajectory peaks at 15 yards and stays within 1/2 inch between 7 to 22 yards. That's good enough for government work.

However, the trajectory drops quickly once past the killzone. The lighter .177 gives you five more yards which would be useful for the English 12 fpe hunters making a long shot.

The increase in power(efficiency) is due to the surface area of the bore. Not the weight of the pellets.

For the sake of the thread's purpose, my R1 is a easier and nicer gun to shoot in 22 than other calibers. 177 is the worst mannered. So this an apples to apples caliber comparison because it's the exact same power plant.

Ron
Now you got me interested in testing my HW90 with .22 and .25 barrels at higher power levels. Hold my beer...

Reactions: Mycapt65