• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 vs .22 at 12 FPE

Scouty

I downloaded the desktop version of Chairgun from your link. You are right it is way easier to use and understand than the mobile version. The trajectory graph is much larger, easier to understand and interactive at various distances. Being able to lay the .177 and .22 on top of each other is really cool and makes comparison easy to see. I was surprised at the distance they are almost identical. It shows that while they are very close at 12 FPE for 35 yards but then the .177 is the clear winner 40-50 yards unless you bump the FPE on the .22. But at 18 FPE the .22 really comes into it's own. More FPE than I want but I can see hunters really liking the .22. Thanks for the tip about the desktop version.

Scouty

I downloaded the desktop version of Chairgun from your link. You are right it is way easier to use and understand than the mobile version. The trajectory graph is much larger, easier to understand and interactive at various distances. Being able to lay the .177 and .22 on top of each other is really cool and makes comparison easy to see. I was surprised at the distance they are almost identical. It shows that while they are very close at 12 FPE for 35 yards but then the .177 is the clear winner 40-50 yards unless you bump the FPE on the .22. But at 18 FPE the .22 really comes into it's own. More FPE than I want but I can see hunters really liking the .22. Thanks for the tip about the desktop version.

You're welcome. I'm glad it's working for you. Make sure you also switch back and forth between Graph and Table in case you haven't noticed that detail yet.

Also, I don't recall if I included the link for ballistic coefficients. 

https://hardairmagazine.com/ballistic-coefficients/

Have you decided on the 1720T vs P-rod yet?

I've never shot a 1720T but might get them for my boys for Christmas.

After thinking about it for a little while, .22 causing less damage to buildings, etc, than .177 makes sense if the same FPE is assumed.

The .22, being larger, spreads that FPE over a larger area on impact. So, at least at the same FPE, will have less penetration and cause less damage.

Increase the velocity/FPE on the .22 and that may not be true. Also it will depend on the hardness and design of the pellet/projectile.

Simple physics if you think about it.

However, I will still be using .177 for my pesting. It is what I have and it works well for Chipmunks, rats and Tree rats if the accuracy is there.