N/A .177 urban pesting

Hi, all. Found out my .22 HW30s is not something the local law wants me pesting with.

That's too bad, but I'm taking the opportunity to go back to the drawing board.
Priorities:
  • accuracy
  • quiet/moderated
  • enough power to brain a grey squirrel @15yds

All of the research I've done tells me that I need a PCP.
I really like the idea of finding a (second-hand) AA S200 / CV200. It seems that for $3-400, I'd have an AG that can do all of the above, plus more. (I was sad to see that I missed out on 2 good examples sold here in the Classifieds over the last 3 weeks)

Are there any other PCP favorites in the sub-$400 range that I absolutely must consider?

Well I didn’t buy the ones the last 3 weeks, but I did a month ago. The CZ200 is awesome. The only caveat with it is there is no safety. Not a big deal for me, I always leave my AG’s with an empty camber. I’ll just fire a pellet off in the ground if I load a mag and don’t have a shot.
I wanted one for a LONG time. I am glad I finally bought the two I have. If you’re like me and have your heart set on one, wait for one to come up or post a WTB.

My AG with the highest rodent count is my Artemis PP700SA carbine. GREAT pest rifle. DonnyFL makes a moderator adapter to fit a 1/2-20 mod on it. It’s single shot and a little tank. Krale still has them.

IMG_2193.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

Reactions: qball
Last I looked the original Avenger was selling for about $350. You would need to budget for a moderator of some sort to get it quiet. Cheapest would be to get a 3D printed one. Power can be easily adjusted. In a different gun a little above your price limit I've killed 10 squirrels now with a 10.6 grain 177 pellet (Baracuda Match) going about 900 fps. They did not drop quite as quickly in some cases as squirrels hit the same way by one of my 30+ fpe airguns but they expired quickly. Others report clean kills at lower power. Placement gets more important as you go down in power.

Hi, all. Found out my .22 HW30s is not something the local law wants me pesting with.

That's too bad, but I'm taking the opportunity to go back to the drawing board.
Priorities:
  • accuracy
  • quiet/moderated
  • enough power to brain a grey squirrel @15yds

All of the research I've done tells me that I need a PCP.
I really like the idea of finding a (second-hand) AA S200 / CV200. It seems that for $3-400, I'd have an AG that can do all of the above, plus more. (I was sad to see that I missed out on 2 good examples sold here in the Classifieds over the last 3 weeks)

Are there any other PCP favorites in the sub-$400 range that I absolutely must consider?
Did you contact local law enforcement about private property pesting or are you part of an organization which does this professionally?

Reactions: Dairyboy
Last I looked the original Avenger was selling for about $350. You would need to budget for a moderator of some sort to get it quiet. Cheapest would be to get a 3D printed one. Power can be easily adjusted. In a different gun a little above your price limit I've killed 10 squirrels now with a 10.6 grain 177 pellet (Baracuda Match) going about 900 fps. They did not drop quite as quickly in some cases as squirrels hit the same way by one of my 30+ fpe airguns but they expired quickly. Others report clean kills at lower power. Placement gets more important as you go down in power.
Might just as well get a Marauder and be done.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I love my PCPs as much as the next shooter, but if you like your HW-30S and The Man wants you to use .177, why not just get an HW-30S in .177? I have one, and it will do what you want. I love mine, and will likely never part with it . . . .

If you want a PCP, then by all means go ahead - but you'll need a way to fill it and all that. The HW would be self sufficient.

Reactions: SteveV
I love my PCPs as much as the next shooter, but if you like your HW-30S and The Man wants you to use .177, why not just get an HW-30S in .177? I have one, and it will do what you want. I love mine, and will likely never part with it . . . .

If you want a PCP, then by all means go ahead - but you'll need a way to fill it and all that. The HW would be self sufficient.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the hw30s but I also like an opportunity to shop new toys. There are a few reasons for me to go PCP:

1. for the s200, the 10-pellet magazine option is a big draw: No recock, no break-barrel-reload necessary.
  2. the s200/cz200 is reported to be a bit quieter when moderated than an a (similarly-moderated) HW30s.
  3. more fpe/power = more certainty of an ethical kill
  4. the s200 is several inches shorter in length, and I will appreciate the additional maneuverability
Not concerned with using a hand pump a couple times per week. I know the overall cost will be higher, but for what I gain, it feels worth the cost.

Last edited:
@AntiRodentTaskForce , I have what I think is a 1st Gen S200 with moderator. I adore that little laser and it is so quiet with its moderator. Someone tuned it before I got it. I recently acquired 2 other PCPs in .22, both aftermarket moderated and they are quite loud in comparison. I probably need to study up on tuning to make the .22s more backyard friendly.