177 slugs...I just cant

Stop shooting them.. yesterday I was testing some 22 slugs. This morning it was raining and I couldn't help myself and installed my 177 barrel (checking my notes on the reg setting and HS adjustment for slugs) Later on this afternoon the rain stopped. I headed to my range to tweak it in. After sight in I began plinking my targets. Those little 177 slugs are definitely a whole new animal. I like them...I like them a lot!! Cheap enough to shoot too..After my little shooting session I headed over to the cow pasture hoping to pop a starling or two. Didn't see anything...darn it. Those little slugs make em POP! I'll bring the rifle with me in the morning and get a few then. I just can't get over how well a 177 slug preforms.

My go to. Absolutely love shooting slugs. I’m a heavy shooter, pulling the trigger at least once a day, usually 40or 50 pills go down range. After months of working on the starling and sparrow population, I can now say I’m pest free and enjoy my song birds and rarer sparrows that typically get driven to the expanse by their
bullying cousins. To accomplish that goal, I chose the 17 almost exclusively for the chore of driving back the hordes of pests that plague my remote sanctuary. A remarkably flat shooting caliber and resists the wind quite nicely.

In fact, as I type this I’m expanding my foot hold and taking back my neighbors country farmyard so he to can enjoy more appreciative birds we both are becoming fond of. Long live the 17. Lol

With a RTI .177 LW barrel?

I'm doing ok with that barrel and JSB knockout, struggling with the Zan slugs.😞
Zans do not shoot well in my .22 or .25, since they were both made in Slovenia, I was hoping they were made almost specifically for the RTIs!
If you have the LW, don’t sleep on the howler slugs and the Nielsen 12.5s, they seem to like that barrel.

Reactions: Jasonmc
With a RTI .177 LW barrel?

I'm doing ok with that barrel and JSB knockout, struggling with the Zan slugs.😞
Yes.. but it didn't shoot them worth a poo a first.. I used JB bore paist and JB bore polish. I concentrated more on the choke to loosen it up.. now it shoots zan or ko slugs just as well as pellets... Giving the upper hand to slugs in wind and distance.
( I almost chucked the barrel up in the lathe to cut the choked end of the barrel off)
To me it's sensitive to the reg pressure... 120-125b and it shoots them great... Anything more or less...it won't group!!
Oh..I took the aluminum HM spring spacer out and use a plenum on my compact...
(Sometimes details matter!!)

Yes.. but it didn't shoot them worth a poo a first.. I used JB bore paist and JB bore polish. I concentrated more on the choke to loosen it up.. now it shoots zan or ko slugs just as well as pellets... Giving the upper hand to slugs in wind and distance.
( I almost chucked the barrel up in the lathe to cut the choked end of the barrel off)
To me it's sensitive to the reg pressure... 120-125b and it shoots them great... Anything more or less...it won't group!!
Barrel polishing definitely helped my 25!!

Thanks,
LW barrel well polished, I'm guessing my reg pressure is probably the reason currently 110 bar, plus I have a 3mm transfer port restrictor fitted.
My prophet compact has a plenum fitted.
I've tried plenty of tunes, all different reg settings but to be honest I have always had a transfer port restrictor fitted.

Back to the drawing board. 😉

Earlier this year I was getting good results with the Zan slugs, I bought another 10 boxes then accuracy went to pot. Time for a rethink.

Thanks Jason, it's appreciated.
Gary.

Reactions: Jasonmc
Zans do not shoot well in my .22 or .25, since they were both made in Slovenia, I was hoping they were made almost specifically for the RTIs!
If you have the LW, don’t sleep on the howler slugs and the Nielsen 12.5s, they seem to like that barrel.
Unfortunately I can't get Nielsen or Howler slugs in .177 in Bulgaria. So I'm stuck with Zan and JSB knockout in the small calibre.

My RPB .22 barrel shoots most of the lighter Zan slugs well, knockout are excellent, that's with a polished barrel.

Thanks,
LW barrel well polished, I'm guessing my reg pressure is probably the reason currently 110 bar, plus I have a 3mm transfer port restrictor fitted.
My prophet compact has a plenum fitted.
I've tried plenty of tunes, all different reg settings but to be honest I have always had a transfer port restrictor fitted.

Back to the drawing board. 😉

Earlier this year I was getting good results with the Zan slugs, I bought another 10 boxes then accuracy went to pot. Time for a rethink.

Thanks Jason, it's appreciated.
Gary.
That reminds me .. I lost accuracy with zan awhile back.. do to I changed the moderator. I put the one I was using and it started grouping again..

Reactions: Spinach
Thanks Scotty1, he was a special old guy, the first guy I actually shot a air rifle with. Memories never fade.

I'm home for the weekend, determined to sort this prophet and .177 slug accuracy. It's something stupid or I have purchased another 4000 bad Zan slugs. The barrel definitely shoots .177 slugs. Proven in the past.

@Jasonmc , do you have a transfer port restrictor fitted?
I do, 3mm. Worked fine for the power I wanted, until lately!
Next step remove the restrictor, play with reg pressure etc.
I'm not too worried about air consumption, I can work on that if I find accuracy. Fingers crossed .

It's now, not really important in the grand scheme of things but just for myself and a mate, I'm going to resolve this.😉
Thousands of slugs going to waste, I can already hear the backfill moving.

Stay safe guys.

Thanks Scotty1, he was a special old guy, the first guy I actually shot a air rifle with. Memories never fade.

I'm home for the weekend, determined to sort this prophet and .177 slug accuracy. It's something stupid or I have purchased another 4000 bad Zan slugs. The barrel definitely shoots .177 slugs. Proven in the past.

@Jasonmc , do you have a transfer port restrictor fitted?
I do, 3mm. Worked fine for the power I wanted, until lately!
Next step remove the restrictor, play with reg pressure etc.
I'm not too worried about air consumption, I can work on that if I find accuracy. Fingers crossed .

It's now, not really important in the grand scheme of things but just for myself and a mate, I'm going to resolve this.😉
Thousands of slugs going to waste, I can already hear the backfill moving.

Stay safe guys.
No sir...no restrictor. This particular compact I bought new as a 25cal so it never had one.

Reactions: Spinach