.177 Sluggers

Whose got .177 slug shooters? Looking for some info on them. What guns and speeds your shooting them at. Also of course how's accuracy?

Having a Prophet Compact I now have ability to swap calibers. Slugs have always interested me as spring is almost windy every day and helping with shooting in the wind would be a big benefit. However my .22 shooting pellets in the 30fpe range is really all the power I need and accuracy is outstanding. I don't think I want to go down the route in .22. However can go for .177 maybe and shoot same power levels but cut wind holds in half compared to pellets.

And yes regularly shoot well past 50yds. Alot from 75-100yds. Gun is excellent on calm days. Hard to read wind on the farm in different areas so help cutting that down would be nice.

You're already aware of the .177 Vet slug project I've been working on. Thought I'd share an update though.

For anybody who didn't see my posts on the ongoing Vet tinkering it is a .177/24 inch LW polygonal barrel, 10mm OD but carbon fiber liner up to 15mm to fit Taipan Veteran. 

Initial testing with OEM 125 bar and near max hammer tension couldn't even push the 20.5gr NSA slugs out of the barrel (ie, the long heavy .177 slugs take A LOT of oomph to get moving). That same reg pressure and hammer spring tension was pushing 44ish fpe in .22. No other change, just the caliber swap (ie. takes some SERIOUS oomph to get the heavy .177 slugs moving). 

One of my Vets has the reg up around 140 BAR now and I need to revisit the 20.5gr NSAs with that (or possibly even higher?) increased reg pressure to see if I can get them past the leade and headed downrange for some accuracy testing. 

On a different note, the .177/12.5 NSA slugs did pretty decent at around 22-23fpe from a Brocock I used to own. I could connect with 2 inch paddles at 92 yards on 80 or 90 percent of the shots (once wind was figured out) and same size paddles @ 135 yards about 50% of the shots. 

I have just been looking into the PC and barrels are now supplied in 500mm and I think yours is the 400mm version if you are using baffles…not sure if that’s an issue if you want to try the .177 barrel, maybe you can find one somewhere?

Anyway my R5m is .177 and pushes the 12.5g slugs very accurately. If you search J Wilson he has several posts about his that was doing the business too.

Also the heavier weight .177 pellets (13g and 16g beasts) have a pretty good BC if you can’t find a slug that suits the barrel?

I like the idea of a custom .20 in the PC to run the 15g jsb in that, I read that they also have a high BC.

I am shooting slugs very well in my Daystate Red Wolf .177 HP and Daystate Delta Wolf .177 HP both with the LW polygon barrel 👍🙂

Just got the RTI Prophet Performance .177 and that also performs very well with the JSB KO 13.43 gr slugs 👍🙂

Been shooting slugs in my .177 for almost 3 years now and started out swaging my own since none were available at the time. 

Reactions: PNEUMATIC
Same as SorenSD, only I’m using a pulsar hp177 nsa and KO’s with outstanding results. But here lately I’ve been shooting on low power @730-740fps even on windy days and still have outstanding results. But generally when I’m shooting @125yrds I will put it on high power @970 with nsa 12.5 and 930 with the KO’s and if I hit my 125 target 7-8 of ten shots I’m doing good. My 125 target is a one and a quarter square swinging target and I have on a few calm occasions hit it ten out of ten. But the slugs do quite well at all speeds for me.

k

o

I've been experimenting with slugs these past few days.... the rifle I chose to shoot slugs is a 30fpe rifle in 22 (actually a 17.5gr slug @ 850fps is giving me 28fpe) you read things like slugs need to be in the 900-1000fps range be accurate and so on...if your not long range shooting why bother... well I'm finding out my 30fpe slug shooter (dreamline compact) will shoot slugs almost...real close to the accuracy of pellets... slugs fly alot more flat and definitely carry more energy down range. As a hunter who doesn't want that rather it be 30fpe or a 100fpe... and wind as my wind shooting experiment is proving to me...even at 30fpe shooting 50 to 80yrds the slugs aren't effected near as much as the pellets.. so it was definitely a win! I have the Prophet full size that well with the long range barrel and the slow twist I haven't even tried slugs... not going to... now if RTI starts selling proven slug barrels for it....you bet I'll be ordering one in 22. I'm curious about the 177 slugs...I honestly was going to try those first but someone gave me some 22 slugs and that got the ball rolling...

Built one up myself a bit over a years ago. NSA 15's @ 1040 fps or JSB Beast 16's @ 980ish

VERY very accurate .. tho like any .177 wind is not your friend.

DSCF0865.1650207840.JPG

Picture from a few years ago when rifle was a FT prototype tester ... sense then fitted with a full length LW 12 groove standard no choke .177 barrel & different optics.

Rifle otherwise identically looks the same ... Has a balanced valve of my own design in it, custom hammer & SSG etc ... Very custom internally.

Scott S

Reactions: Nealgl1985
Looking over my notebook I found the following.

HW100BP-K / 17fpe / Target at 50 yards.

NSA 15.5gr. = 5/8" - 1" groups

Mako 10.5gr. = 5/8" - 3/4" groups

JSB Knockouts (weight?) = 5/8" groups

All measurements were taken from 5 groups of 5 shots on the same day within 15 minutes. The wind was 7mph at near 45* from behind. The JSBs were the most consistant with all 5 groups measuring 5/8". I traded for these and can't remember their weight. As of yet, I haven't chronied them.

After testing the slugs I shot Polymag Shorts and all 5 groups were 1/2" or under, so they're still the most accurate for this gun. (in light winds)

Built one up myself a bit over a years ago. NSA 15's @ 1040 fps or JSB Beast 16's @ 980ish

VERY very accurate .. tho like any .177 wind is not your friend.

DSCF0865.1650207840.JPG

Picture from a few years ago when rifle was a FT prototype tester ... sense then fitted with a full length LW 12 groove standard no choke .177 barrel & different optics.

Rifle otherwise identically looks the same ... Has a balanced valve of my own design in it, custom hammer & SSG etc ... Very custom internally.

Scott S

@Motorhead That is a fine looking rifle. What’s the silver rod on top of the scope?

/ cautiously raise his hand.

I think the wind aspect is true, shooting slugs today, the 13.43 KO was a bit better than on Wednesday, and the 15gr NSA ones i also tested today was not too shabby either.

Sadly i got side tracked by the Beasts in my pellet box, and as in the 600 mm barrel my Maverick do like to shot those on 50 M

Even tried Barracudas too, but they dident get to anything really sweet with the few things i tried today.

Even if i get updates to my slug gun this week ( among that 2000 slugs ), i think i will grab the V3 on the next outing and do some pellet shooting with that. ( fairly moderate winds forecast for Wednesday )

Whose got .177 slug shooters? Looking for some info on them. What guns and speeds your shooting them at. Also of course how's accuracy?

Having a Prophet Compact I now have ability to swap calibers. Slugs have always interested me as spring is almost windy every day and helping with shooting in the wind would be a big benefit. However my .22 shooting pellets in the 30fpe range is really all the power I need and accuracy is outstanding. I don't think I want to go down the route in .22. However can go for .177 maybe and shoot same power levels but cut wind holds in half compared to pellets.

And yes regularly shoot well past 50yds. Alot from 75-100yds. Gun is excellent on calm days. Hard to read wind on the farm in different areas so help cutting that down would be nice.

Impact MKII 700mm OEM Barrel kit, reg set at 90 bar, JSB KOs 13.43, could not get a chrony today, but the NSA15s were at 920 fps at the Max hs setting, the same setting I shot the JSB KOs. Could not tell you if the hs is factory, probably not. Getting great groups at 101 yards today, under an inch. Hope that helps.

Great info guys! Alot to take in for sure. I'm not quite sold on doing so as there's no real guarantee on slugs working in a .177 barrel I'd get for it. 

I do think it'd be great to cut down on the wind holds with a BC of .031 from the 15.9gr JSBs. Can always just go .22 RDMs for .05ish BC. That would cut wind holds down a decent amount.

But a .177 slug with a .06-.07 would be even more. And could shoot at like 25fpe and gun still be quite easy and tame to shoot compared to a 45fpe gun.

Then there's also it's shooting lights out as is why touch anything and just learn to shoot more in the wind. Which I have been. But hard to judge it really depending on area I'm shooting.

Idk. Again not sold as I'm not sure $300 for a barrel and who knows how much money for .177 slugs to test would be worth it. 

Also wouldnt be for some time before I would buy one. Maybe wait and see the new compact barrels that are more slug friendly they said. Could run one with a mod in front and ditch the in shroud baffles.

Or find a light weight .22 slug that works and be happy. But am quite happy to see quite a few people seem to be going this route.

I have just been looking into the PC and barrels are now supplied in 500mm and I think yours is the 400mm version if you are using baffles…not sure if that’s an issue if you want to try the .177 barrel, maybe you can find one somewhere?

Anyway my R5m is .177 and pushes the 12.5g slugs very accurately. If you search J Wilson he has several posts about his that was doing the business too.

I like the idea of a custom .20 in the PC to run the 15g jsb in that, I read that they also have a high BC.

Yeah I could remove the baffles and just run a mod in front of it really. I think they said those barrels are more friendly for slugs due to lighter chokes and grooves.

JWilson bought my .22 R5M Standard. I wish I never sold that gun. I have looked into his results in the past as well. He has them shooting well.

Aa far as a custom .20 barrel for the Prophet Compact, if I could find a way to do that I'd do that hands down.