• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 pellets and slugs speeds

What are you actually wanting to know? I only shoot pellets, usually 10.3+ grain pellets in .177.

I shoot .177 exclusively for pesting in my backyard for the most part. Anywhere from ~750-850fps. I don't go higher than that because the noise level gets too high for my situation and I have found that shooting out to near 100 yards, when I hit about 880fps, spiraling becomes an issue.

So, what do you really want to know? There is no single best fps for all airguns. No matter the caliber. Each gun/barrel is different although there are some reasonable assumptions that can be made if given enough information.

However, you asked a broad question for which there is no definitive answer... if I am correct in discerning why you asked it in the first place?

All my best!

Kerry

A edgun Lesshiy classic 250 mm barrel shooting Gammel red fire, 7.8 grain pellets
My 177 streamline does 10.3gr fx at 905fps, my leshiy classic is shoot zan 10gr at 945fps, and my taipan vet .177 is shooting h&n hornets at 960fps all can shoot the eye off a squirrel at 35yds.

I just retuned my Dreamtac in .177. I don't normally have pellets lighter than 10.34gr JSBs, but since I got into indoor pistol, I have a range of light stuff. Right now I am running Monsters at ~878 (just shy of 23 FPE), Heavies at ~928 and Diablos at ~827. Accustomed to great groups from this gun with the Monsters and Heavies at these speeds, but those Diablos are lights out at just a bit over 12 FPE all the way out to 45 yards. I've got some Express (7.87gr) I'll mess with next weekend. Might be able to use those for offhand basement shooting this winter.

imo 177 likes to go fast, like 1050+ .. this makes it shoot nice and flat to 50y+, be less effected by wind, and have a nice wound effect, if it hits bone it tends to shatter it and shut your subject down pretty quick .. all this goes beyond the dersirable average ~900fps i like to keep pretty consistent across platforms so im used to holdovers etc between guns .. so theres that ..it works well pesting specifically on squirrel sized stuff under 40 at the elevated speed, otherwise staying the same speed as the rest of your guns is a plus ..

Reactions: mercado