• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 P-Rod?

I did a lot of research into this and the easiest way was an Mrod barrel and Mrod mags. You have to shave a bit off the bottom of the mag and the barrel needs a flat filed/machined into it for the shroud bushing.

That's if you want a full length Mrod barrel. If you don't, you'll need to have the breech end machined if you have a choked barrel or you can just chop the muzzle if you don't want to keep the choke.

Then you'll need to have the bolt turned down, though I wonder if a .177 Fortitude or 1720T bolt would drop in.

Edit: 1720T bolt won't work due to the o-ring on the probe vs in the barrel. However, this appears to show that the Fortitude bolt will drop in.

Last edited:
I went the opposite and made a 1701T into a p-rod. Can be cheaper and you get the lw barrel. Only need to make a flat spot for the shroud adapter. Fore grip needs some custom fitting but all the parts are easily found. I left mine as single shot for FT, so no info on a mag.

I did a lot of research into this and the easiest way was an Mrod barrel and Mrod mags. You have to shave a bit off the bottom of the mag and the barrel needs a flat filed/machined into it for the shroud bushing.

That's if you want a full length Mrod barrel. If you don't, you'll need to have the breech end machined if you have a choked barrel or you can just chop the muzzle if you don't want to keep the choke.

Then you'll need to have the bolt turned down, though I wonder if a .177 Fortitude or 1720T bolt would drop in.

Edit: 1720T bolt won't work due to the o-ring on the probe vs in the barrel. However, this appears to show that the Fortitude bolt will drop in.
Use a 1720 barrel & bolt

Will the 1720T breech fit on the P-rod without modification? I have a brand new in the box P-rod that I was thinking of converting to .177 since you can’t get the 1720T. Was thinking of having a 16-18” barrel put on it for some FT or fun. I have a Huma reg and Steve Corcoran stock for it as well.

Keith

If you already have a Prod, a .177 Fortitude barrel/bolt are going to be cheaper than a 1720T breech. Unless you were looking for the single shot capability, but a single shot tray is easily sourced or 3D printed.

Will the 1720T breech fit on the P-rod without modification? I have a brand new in the box P-rod that I was thinking of converting to .177 since you can’t get the 1720T. Was thinking of having a 16-18” barrel put on it for some FT or fun. I have a Huma reg and Steve Corcoran stock for it as well.

Keith
The have the same lower, so you can interchange the upper.

I have both, BTW.

Parts for the 17xx are still available from Crosman and would set you back approximately $150 or so for the breech ( $40 something), breech tray (about $18, IIRIC), and barrel ($60 - 70).

If they don't have a 1720T breech, then just go for the the 1701P-- same fit, and yes, I have one.

Moreover, a MROD barrel fits the PROD breech, but you have to file the barrel's flat section a bit for the breech set screw to align perfectly.

Keith
Yes, as the 1720T and the P-Rod both use the same tube, same part #

EDIT: pardon the rehash

If you already have a Prod, a .177 Fortitude barrel/bolt are going to be cheaper than a 1720T breech. Unless you were looking for the single shot capability, but a single shot tray is easily sourced or 3D printed.
Yeah, paired with a 20" LW MROD barrel in .177 would be perfect.

Hill Airguns sells the same barrel for $400, albeit with a custom shroud.

A MROD shroud is larger in OD compared to a PROD's.

To elucidate, a MROD shroud wouldn't fit a PROD upper due to height issues of the breech, as far as I know.

To elucidate, a MROD shroud wouldn't fit a PROD upper due to height issues of the breech, as far as I know.

That's correct. A Fortitude breech is tall enough, but you have to drill for the two forward breech screws.

A MROD or UMAREX Gauntlet SST does fit the PROD breech with a bit of sanding the bottom.

As I recall, I removed an mm or so by putting a sheet of semi-fine sand paper on a glass stop, slowly lapping it for a perfect fit.

The aforementioned SST's look much better than 3D version , IMHO.

Bought mine, a .22 for my PROD, from UMAREX for $5 shipped.

The .177 is less than $0.50, check it out.

That's correct. A Fortitude breech is tall enough, but you have to drill for the two forward breech screws.
Chris sir, I think I gave you the part number for the LW MROD barrel sometime ago, right?

I have one in .22 but haven't even installed it yet.

Was wanting a custom 20" PROD tube from Mr. Cothran, but he had trouble with the material, then accidentally messed up one of his machines.

He retired afterwards.

Chris sir, I think I gave you the part number for the LW MROD barrel sometime ago, right?

I have one in .22 but haven't even installed it yet.

Was wanting a custom 20" PROD tube from Mr. Cothran, but he had trouble with the material, then accidentally messed up one of his machines.

He retired afterwards.

Oh wow, I had no idea he had retired. You did indeed pass along the part number! I have a Prod sitting here that I'm not sure what to do with. Part of me wants to make it into a poor man's Atomic, but I also want to bottle it and go for max .22 power.

I have a Maximus with a Prod trigger, hammer and end cap. Have it set up with AR buffer tube and stock. Doesn’t balance right. Too long of air tube and barrel. Very front heavy. Rather than start cutting the tube and barrel down I just bought a .177 Bandit and put the full Buckrail kit on it. Cheaper than buying a stock Prod to modify. Trigger is not as good but I haven’t started to work on the trigger yet. I have the long barrel from a Chaser I’m thinking of trying on it but haven’t had the time.

Reactions: Clear Fork