• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 or .25

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
Do I buy .177 or .25? My 2 choices. I’m in Canada so slim pickings. 
I am going to order 97kt tomorrow at noon. I have a 97k .22 and a 80k .25 plus 10 more guns in .22, mostly weihrauch. This is my first same gun, different caliber, thanks to this forum. I’m green and got lots to learn. When I get more time, hope to shoot more. Only 2 guns with a tin through them and 1 I bought the one used.

This started for me 2 yrs. ago I had to repay my intruders, a friend recommended a weihrauch. I took his advice.

Reading this forum I’m leaning .177 for accuracy? I may be shooting more targets. Not into PCP. Yet. Any input would be appreciated. Crow 

.177. The 97 power plant doesn't have the a$$ to truly shoot a .25 cal pellet unless it's the GTO lead free 16.7gr stuff. If you have to move up, the next lowest weight is 19.91 in the H&N FTT's. I have a couple of magnum gas rams that will do 18-20fpe in .25 but my guess is you'll likely only hit 11-12fpe with a 97.

Thanks for all your replies. It will be.177. Hesitate 

My buddy who taught me about Airguns, would have nothing to do with anything smaller than .22 cal. Because of Covid-19 we live in isolation, so I thought the same way. I accumulated 15 guns mostly .22 and few larger. I’m not a computer wizard, so it took me till mid December to stumble on this forum. The wealth of knowledge here made me realize the .177s are a step up in accuracy. I did get a sport 124 just before Christmas (ordered in August) just put a king optics scope on it. Only 20 rounds through it. Sweet. Again thanks Crow 

.177 without hesitation.

You will find a whole new level of interest in springers closer to 12 FPE. They just plain behave better. They become easier to cock, more accurate, less hold sensitive, stop breaking most scopes, and .... 

You will also find a much wider variety of available pellets. .177 are also cheaper to shoot. I have had good results with the JSB 8.44's with the 4.53 head size. It would at least be a good place to start.

Aren't you limited to 500fps or something like that in Canada? I am not sure what laws you have to go by but someone told me that he couldn't get a gun that shot faster than that. Maybe he didn't have a license or something like that. Anyway if you are limited to 500 fps I would go with the 25. if not 177. I am going to get an hw97k one day and have motorhead tune it down to 12 or 13fpe for the "better manners" mentioned above. However I love magnum springers for bigger game. My dad has a hatsan 130 in 30 cal and it's accurate and bad ass for racoons at 10 yards or under. It's probably still good at farther distance but it doesn't have a scope on it and my backyard is only 10 yards long so I can't speak on that. All that to say a 25 or 30 cal pellet going 500 fps knocks the holy hell out of game and it's really fun. Definitely has a loopy trajectory but hey that's why you got more than one gun! 🔫

Raden1942 in Canada you can buy a pellet gun under 500 FPS almost anywhere. Over 500 you need license. No silencers.

Do you know why there’s no more circus is in town? —- that’s because all the clowns are Canadian politicians.

If it looks like a silencer not allowed. I have a Diana red laminate pro stuck at border right now. The distributor used UPS at lease 50 times, in past. Not allowed anymore. I’m praying it gets through, it’s payed for. Crow