.177 Minute-of-Starling @ 174 yards

The Uragan .177 with 13 grain Knockouts @ 800 fps is an astounding long/range starling getter! I have no doubt that I’ll stretch this round out to 200 in calmer condition.

I started shooting Knockouts 3 weeks ago in a stock Factory tuned Uragan. All I can say is WOW…. I had no idea a.177 could be stretched so far. I tried the 10 and 13 grain knockouts and both are great at 50… but the the 13 grain slugs really pull ahead at 100 and beyond. I had high hopes for NSA but the 12.5’s get stuck in my barrel.

For farm hunting in areas where new homes are ever encroaching on farmland, the .177 pellets and .177 slugs become a safer bet than larger calibers. We still need to be careful with .177 slugs given that a Knockout still has 6 Ft lbs at 300 yards and can travel out to 800 plus yards, vs 1.3 Ft Lbs in a 10.3 JSB pellet at 300.

Performance on starlings with Knockouts is truly awesome. They make a noticeable pop on impact… clearly expanding at relatively low speeds, and a factory tuned gun should give at least 300 shots!

Give .177 a try!

1591337f-638e-49af-a747-fa2d79fb0be1

Reactions: 209airgunner
My Vulcan 3 do like the KO slugs too, even the light model, the 12.5 and 15 grain NSA also seem to be flying well

A starling however at 170 yards, that i dont think i would be able to do every time i tried, probably not even every #2 time i tried, at least not as things fly right now, but i have not tried much in the way of dialing speed to see if things get more accurate, but clearly i need to expand on my collection of slugs, i am just shy of owning 10.000 slugs now, but that is not enough.

177 is all i am :)

Reactions: 209airgunner
PlingPling,

At 174 yards I miss much more than I hit. I’m shooting at the highest point on high voltage power lines ( aprox 200 feet high)… where the wind tends to blow in odd ways….Lots of luck involved with a first shot connect.

The point is:

-177 slugs nearly double the effective range of pellets.

- I shoot them with the same tune I use for pellets

- they are cheap and fun.

- they turn a .177 into a long range hunting machine!

b8e510d7-1e52-4a4a-bb9b-96660d2dc25c

Yeah slugs are pretty nice, but i am also going to shoot pellets.

The hitting power dont concern me that much as i am not shooting at any animals / pests, just shooting longer the better BC are worth having, also wind bucking as here in Denmark the wind almost always blow ( hence why we are so big in wind turbines )

Price also a factor for me as i live of a pension, still if i could i would buy a .25 or.30 but it would not see the action my .177 get. but to be able to do that the law need changing, and the people here ( too ) dont make better laws they only make more laws :-( 10 years ago i could buy any caliber airgun but they changed that for no valid reason.

PlingPling,

At 174 yards I miss much more than I hit. I’m shooting at the highest point on high voltage power lines ( aprox 200 feet high)… where the wind tends to blow in odd ways….Lots of luck involved with a first shot connect.

The point is:

-177 slugs nearly double the effective range of pellets.

- I shoot them with the same tune I use for pellets

- they are cheap and fun.

- they turn a .177 into a long range hunting machine!

The fact you connect at all even with 177 slugs at 174 yards on a small bird is already very impressive. Since it’s a power line the wind is definitely impossible to read unless you decide to climb up there to plant a few wind flags! 🤔🤣🤣

Qball,

Definitely no wind flags but there are some clues:

-occasionally I can see the slug… if the light is just right….( I want to experiment with colored pellets)

-birds usually face the wind… 

- if there is a line of birds on either side… I can often tell how far left or right I am by the reaction of neighboring birds. Birds closest to a whizzing pellets almost always, react with a flutter, a jump or a fly/off