Benjamin 177 Marauder SSG tuning. 900fps possible?

Hey all.
Have a 177 gen2 marauder id like to use for HFT. Id like to shoot 10.5gr at 900fps.
I pit in a huma reg since im not a tuner and just bought an airgun recisions ssg. I was running at Bout 1400psi but increased up to 1800psi and saw just a few fps increase. 768 was peak fps with 10.3. Any ideas? No info came with the ssg. Im reading all I can and it seems like maybe they are for low power builds.

Guess I should say this is for HFT so 20fps Max, about 900fps with 10.5gr is my target, or 875-890 with 9.7gr.

Last edited:
1800 is a good place , but now your just getting started , now a tim hill valve or open up the valve you have , " probably a few guys here can help you better with the stock valve , JSAR makes a SSG " and a twin spring system that works real well with the SSG , tim hill has a larger transfer port , and a drill and ball hone to open up the transfer port in the barrel , i like the nylon hammer from JSAR , but you need to really clean the tube out before assembly ! any silicone left in the tube where the nylon hammer slides back n fourth and it will soon get sticky and gummy !!! put a few hundred pounds pressure in the tube then clean the hammer area again really good , do this and you will have a smooth shooting gun , power wont be a problem !

Reactions: Bramezy
i guess i should tell you whats happening , your gun is tuned for a constant 2000 to 3000 psi in your tank pushing on your valve at all times , by putting in a regulator you have created a small pocket of air behind your valve "separate from the tank pressure " so now when you pull the trigger that big hammer knocks that valve open but now the valve only has a small pocket of air at a lower pressure than it was tuned for , so the pressure drops very low in the little pocket of regulated air and it takes a second for it to charge back up to the set pressure , so you understand its a completely different tune , BTW " the little pocket of regulated air that now sits between your valve and the tank is called "plenum" how much and at what pressure is part of the tune

Last edited:
IMG_4329.jpeg

IMG_4338.jpeg

I’m not sure if this will help but here goes anyway. I recently had my Akela .177 upgraded by airgun revisions drop in hammer spring kit. When Rich was done, he did a chrono test and it was shooting 950 fps with an SD of 1.5 with the AA 10.3’s from a 3000 psi fill. This from an unregulated gun.

Yesterday I tuned it down to an 890 range with the 10.5 gr Benjamin pellets and it was still a 1.5 SD at 892 avg fps 18.x ftlbs. All I had to do was adjust the power wheel and that took only 7 shots. I then ran 28 shots for an SD of 7.7 and 880 fps. This was done while the gun was acclimating to the outside temps. Started at 68 degrees inside to 36 degrees outside.

Then I shot a two mag string with the AA 10.3 gr and 28 shots ran a 9.6 SD at an average of 900 fps. This string was after the rifle had acclimated to the 36 degree temps.

I can only imagine that the gun will be very consistent once my usual shooting weather arrives.

I know your question is about the regulator, but, maybe you don’t need a regulator?

My .177 marauder with SSG, 3 lb spring and 5 gram hammer will do 1000+ fps all day with 10.5gr, granted its a very custom valve that allows this.

I have it tuned to 900~ fps.

For the stock valve, you probably just need more hammer spring or possibly more preload combined with maxing hammer throw, while making sure your velocity metering screw is fully open.

-Matt

View attachment 431563
View attachment 431564
I’m not sure if this will help but here goes anyway. I recently had my Akela .177 upgraded by airgun revisions drop in hammer spring kit. When Rich was done, he did a chrono test and it was shooting 950 fps with an SD of 1.5 with the AA 10.3’s from a 3000 psi fill. This from an unregulated gun.

Yesterday I tuned it down to an 890 range with the 10.5 gr Benjamin pellets and it was still a 1.5 SD at 892 avg fps 18.x ftlbs. All I had to do was adjust the power wheel and that took only 7 shots. I then ran 28 shots for an SD of 7.7 and 880 fps. This was done while the gun was acclimating to the outside temps. Started at 68 degrees inside to 36 degrees outside.

Then I shot a two mag string with the AA 10.3 gr and 28 shots ran a 9.6 SD at an average of 900 fps. This string was after the rifle had acclimated to the 36 degree temps.

I can only imagine that the gun will be very consistent once my usual shooting weather arrives.

I know your question is about the regulator, but, maybe you don’t need a regulator?
for hunting not so much but if hes looking to shoot at targets at 70 yards a reg would be better

My .177 marauder with SSG, 3 lb spring and 5 gram hammer will do 1000+ fps all day with 10.5gr, granted its a very custom valve that allows this.

For the stock valve, you probably just need more hammer spring or possibly more preload combined with maxing hammer throw, while making sure your velocity metering screw is fully open.

-Matt
hey if he leaves the regulator in " more hammer wont do it ,

He has a mess going on is what he has.

Either remove the regulator and go back to original or keep the regulator and:

1. Enlarge the TP and valve port
2. Enlarge the barrel port
3. Might install a softer valve spring (the one inside the valve)
4. Install a free flight hammer/SSG. The hammer will need to be lighter as well
5. Set the regulator pressure at 1600 and work up until getting the velocity

I have no experience with the .177 therefore somebody might suggest what size to bring the porting up to. I run .161 on my unregulated .25 and .196 on my two regulated .25 rifles.

IMO, once a regulator is installed the hammer striker needs to be run fully in to the hammer face, the valve restrictor needs to be run fully out of the way of the flow path. Cannot just throw a regulator in and go shoot. Not sure I understand the point of doing this for a .177?

For a .177 looking for a sub 20 fpe tune ...
Stock valve as to throat/ transfer size is fine ... Tho do install a much lighter poppet spring. Restriction screw wide open. Barrel port is ok as well.
LIGHTER HAMMER of @ 24-26 grams * using a light hammer, no SSG is required & it will be a lot easier to tune w/o one ;)
Factory .052 hammer spring is fine.
Reg @ 1650 psi
As such you should have no problem getting 900fps w/ 10.3 weight pellet.

I have built literally DOZENS of Gen 1 & 2 M-rods to above @ specification.

There are mods one "Could" make, but that for a K.I.S.S. go at making an FT rig is a conversation for another day ;)

What Scott said ^^^^^

Follow it to the letter and you will be very happy.

Your issue for not generating enough power is your valve spring is WAY to stiff. Get a 6# valve spring from Tim Hill and that will increase your power.

I was in your same situation and perplexed trying to figure it out. The valve spring is the key.

View attachment 431563
View attachment 431564

Thanks. Actually my question is not about a regulator, its about tuning with a regulator and SSG. I am not great at tuning and ive reached out for help, read up and watched videos and for some reason cannot get it on the marauder. I want 100% assurance when I grab the rifle, 2 shots to settle everything and its good to go. Im not comfortable with a non regulated rife, just me. I have a regulated Akela on the way actually and had a stock Kratos. It was very consistent as yours is. I hate having to try and fill to a specific PSI range which is a big reason why I like regulated. Fill and go.

-Matt
Thanks. I was hoping not to put anymore money into this rifle. I may just have to pull the SSG out and try and get it tuned somewhere.

For a .177 looking for a sub 20 fpe tune ...
Stock valve as to throat/ transfer size is fine ... Tho do install a much lighter poppet spring. Restriction screw wide open. Barrel port is ok as well.
LIGHTER HAMMER of @ 24-26 grams * using a light hammer, no SSG is required & it will be a lot easier to tune w/o one ;)
Factory .052 hammer spring is fine.
Reg @ 1650 psi
As such you should have no problem getting 900fps w/ 10.3 weight pellet.

I have built literally DOZENS of Gen 1 & 2 M-rods to above @ specification.

There are mods one "Could" make, but that for a K.I.S.S. go at making an FT rig is a conversation for another day ;)
Any recommendations on a source for these springs and light hammer? Thank You for the help.

Any recommendations on a source for these springs and light hammer? Thank You for the help.

Acehardware will have the light valve spring just bring your poppet or measure it and find one that fits it and is similar in length to the stock valve spring. Aim for .03-.032" wire diameter, should net ya 6-7 lbs of spring for the valve.

That in itself should work and only set you back 1-2$.

-Matt

I have a .177 Marauder. It has a Huma guage block regulator set around 1700 PSI. It has a Tim Hill light weight hammer and peek striker, and matched Tim Hill valve and hammer springs. The transfer port restrictor is wide open. All else is stock. I get 90 shots at 18.5 fpe. There's more power at hand if I increase the hammer spring tension. Its way easier to just get the Tim Hill parts and more time efficient. I use mine for Field Target and it serves me well.