Tuning 177 lothar walther blank for slugs

I have no experience with slugs, but I read the comments on choked barrels, or not. In .22 RF, there are some excellent barrels of both configurations. The best RF barrels I've owned have been choked, not sure if that means much here, but thought I would mention it. As already stated, the right slug/barrel profile combination is critical. Again, assuming some general characteristics that probably apply to both air and cartridge rifles. I expect, once the slug and barrel makers do their work on the best applications, we will see slug rifles that not only outperform their pellet cousins, but fully equal cartridge rifles. By removing the variables of powder, primer, and case, it just seems that it has to be true.

In .177 using an LW .... been very successful using a standard 12 groove NO CHOKE. In my set up & am able to shoot NSA 15's & 12.5's into the low 1000 fps speeds and there damn accurate. At that power the barrel also shoots JSB BEAST 16's exceptionally well being @ 950's speed wise. Barrel at full length of @ 23 3/4" after machining / fitment.

Scott S

Is what it is ... Too date there in No Air Gun spec barrels that are made with shallow enough Land /Groove specs for that to happen. Ideally what we want, in reality we have something different. So long as a slug has good LAND impression happening, chambers YAW free it generally will shoot quite well if in a speed range it likes.

In totality of area NOT 100% sealed in a .177 is so little, and air pulse SO STRONG to launch them fast enough to be of use, minimal blow by is simply not worth giving a second thought too IMO.

Only barrel I know of with a shallow Land / groove differential spec and tried in .177 was a TJ 4 groove, it shoots heavy pellets great, slugs not worth a damn for some reason ?

2EE735D5-82AA-4B1A-A350-4FA78744E906.1648662735.jpeg