FX .177 Long Range performance

After much experimentation with FX Dreamlines and other Crowns with ho-hum accuracy, I finally got some really promising results with my FX Crown MKII Saber Tactical. I had a .177 600 mm barrel that I tried in another Crown that didn't seem to work well for me, so I put it in the Saber model that I was using for 100 yard shooting in 22 cal. I left the reg setting the same (140) and installed a Huma dual transfer port. I was able to squeeze 1020 fps from JSB 13.4 KO slugs and over 1100 fps with 10.3 slugs. I also tried NSA 12.5 and 15.0 gr slugs. The KO 13.4 gr worked the best when I turned the power wheel from Max to the next lower setting achieving 985 fps. The other slugs were not too good. At 100 yards, methinks this works pretty well for a .177 rifle. I can't wait to try some ZAN 13 grainers too.

FX Crown MKII .177 at 100 yd.jpg

I think you will see a improvement with the 13 gr Zans, at least that is how it work in my Maverick, also you might want to drop a little more speed too.

I was supposed to go shooting today, but in the last moment the wind flip / flopped on me, so my new scope remain untested, i now have my hopes up for Sunday. ( 4 MPH average winds forecast )
My Maverick do not like cold, i can set it up in the comfort of my living room to have a fairly flat shot string, then getting out into the cold, and the shot string is all over the GD place, and worst of all when cold i cant seem to find a place where it is better.

My REG is brand new too, so i will not blame it, not least as it work fine in my warm living room.

Reactions: Scotay42
The JSB KO 13.43 gn and the Zan 13 gn both shoot great in my rifles with LW barrels (y) :)🎯
Yes, and you don't need 985 fps. I've shot them in a 500mm Dreamline at 945 fps and they are as accurate as shown above... I've also shot them from my FT gun, a Pulsar, at 20 FPE or around 800 fps, and they were accurate at that speed. Don't assume slugs need speed! A good stable slug design in a good barrel with adequate twist will be accurate at all speeds...

Don't assume slugs need speed
Indeed, i am actually going to revisit heavier slugs, and go for slower speeds, CUZ i think when i tried and failed with 16 and 20 grain it was all over 900 FPS, so i am thinking maybe i missed a pot of accuracy gold at lower speeds.
Anyway i will have to buy more heavy slugs if i get another new rifle CUZ i of course also what to try that there.

Also i want to do a face to face comparison with my regular and heavy FX barrels with the 13 grain that work well in both, to see if the minute improvement i feel there was getting the heavy is true or i just never really found the sweet spot with the regular barrel.

985 also seem a bit " hot " to me, the 13 gr zan run best around 960 in my heavy barrel, +/- a little, +1000 FPS for sure was too much and i got inconsistent groups like picture above also indicate ( 4 good grouped shots and the rest departed from that )

When i shot hot i got 3-4 good shots, then POI shifted about 3/4 - 1 " to the left, then i got some OK grouping shots there, and then POI shifted back to where i started.
So shooting hot it was pretty impossible for me to shoot a good 5 shot group

Last edited:
Yes, and you don't need 985 fps. I've shot them in a 500mm Dreamline at 945 fps and they are as accurate as shown above... I've also shot them from my FT gun, a Pulsar, at 20 FPE or around 800 fps, and they were accurate at that speed. Don't assume slugs need speed! A good stable slug design in a good barrel with adequate twist will be accurate at all speeds...

In the original 600 mm LW barrel the slugs perform very well at 920-930 FPS 👍🙂🎯

In the prototype 711 mm slug barrel they perform the best at a higher velocity 👍 970 FPS for Zan 13 and 1003 FPS for JSB KO 13.43 🎯🙂

In the original 600 mm LW barrel the slugs perform very well at 920-930 FPS 👍🙂🎯

In the prototype 711 mm slug barrel they perform the best at a higher velocity 👍 970 FPS for Zan 13 and 1003 FPS for JSB KO 13.43 🎯🙂
Interesting. In the 17-inch cut rifled LW barrel in the .177 Pulsar, shooting under 20 FPE, they were as accurate out to 75 yards (furthest I shot), and that was the 13.4 JSB KOs around 800 fps. And then just for fun, I jacked up the .177 Dreamline Classic 500mm with Superior liner to around 940-ish FPS and they were as accurate as I've seen your posts on here at the higher speeds out to 100 yards. I am a firm believer in good slug, good barrel, good tune, all work to obviate any speed sensitivity... IMHO.

Reactions: SorenDrost
You mwy be right, but I’m shootong 100 yd EBR in very windy turbulent conditions. I think the faster the slug gets there the better.

You mwy be right, but I’m shootong 100 yd EBR in very windy turbulent conditions. I think the faster the slug gets there the better.
Thats what seems logical. Unfortunately, it's not true... There have been many posts on here, mostly by @Ballisticboy explaining the relationship between wind drift ballistics and speed. In a nutshell, it's not HOW FAST the slug is going, its HOW FAST IT SLOWS DOWN that directly affects wind drift.

Reactions: beerthief
Interesting. In the 17-inch cut rifled LW barrel in the .177 Pulsar, shooting under 20 FPE, they were as accurate out to 75 yards (furthest I shot), and that was the 13.4 JSB KOs around 800 fps. And then just for fun, I jacked up the .177 Dreamline Classic 500mm with Superior liner to around 940-ish FPS and they were as accurate as I've seen your posts on here at the higher speeds out to 100 yards. I am a firm believer in good slug, good barrel, good tune, all work to obviate any speed sensitivity... IMHO.
Shooting accurate with 20grain ZANs @ 14 ft/ibs in a Daystate Revere.

CmZQA70h.jpg

MUTXKwUh.jpg

And 22grain solids
71TEX2Dh.jpg

jkdYEGFh.jpg

Thats what seems logical. Unfortunately, it's not true... There have been many posts on here, mostly by @Ballisticboy explaining the relationship between wind drift ballistics and speed. In a nutshell, it's not HOW FAST the slug is going, its HOW FAST IT SLOWS DOWN that directly affects wind drift.
Very true, but also if the speeds get too high, the slug drag increases rapidly and the wind drift will increase with the drag. The speed at which you get a fast increase in drag will vary according to the slug design but will be less than 1000 ft/sec for many current slug designs.

The other thing to remember is that as slug speeds get well over 1000 ft/sec, the gyroscopic stability will begin to decrease. Depending on the gyroscopic stability at slower speeds, the change in stability may be a good thing or a bad thing. It will all depend on the slug design and the barrel twist rate.

After much experimentation with FX Dreamlines and other Crowns with ho-hum accuracy, I finally got some really promising results with my FX Crown MKII Saber Tactical. I had a .177 600 mm barrel that I tried in another Crown that didn't seem to work well for me, so I put it in the Saber model that I was using for 100 yard shooting in 22 cal. I left the reg setting the same (140) and installed a Huma dual transfer port. I was able to squeeze 1020 fps from JSB 13.4 KO slugs and over 1100 fps with 10.3 slugs. I also tried NSA 12.5 and 15.0 gr slugs. The KO 13.4 gr worked the best when I turned the power wheel from Max to the next lower setting achieving 985 fps. The other slugs were not too good. At 100 yards, methinks this works pretty well for a .177 rifle. I can't wait to try some ZAN 13 grainers too.

View attachment 445267
impressive