.177 FX barrels?

The FX Dreamline or other .177 rifles are fine for plinking, but if you are interested in competition shooting, I would look elswhere. I've shot FT and BR for years using RAW rifles and my competitors used Thomas, Daystates, , Air Arms, Steyrs and such were far superior. I'm still sorting out my Dreamline. It's ok, but not great.

Maybe it is not the barrel but rather that we are trying to tune a gun which is designed to shoot calibers up to .25 or more. I have several FX guns in .177 and they all shoot good. But to get the best accuracy most have been tuned for one pellet. In my case the jsb heavy. I tried to tune my impact for the 8 grain, but found it more challenging than the jsb heavy. So in that respect, if you plan to shoot on low power, it may be easier to use a gun specific for that purpose.

I shot an FX M3 .177 which did same hole at 35 yards. I saw Justin jacobson shoot a perfect score (250 pts, 25x targets at 35 yards) with his. He has pictures. If you get a good barrel, FX in .177 can be excellent. I can't speak to the variation in barrels in that caliber. I know that there is some variation in their higher calibers.

IF you’re a dealer, you get to play with all the barrels and keep the best ones

If you know how to tune these guns then you can get 1 hole groups at 30 yards with any superior barrels. I have/had every length FX 177 barrel except the 700mm version, even had a custom 380mm version and they are all one hole at 30 yards if you know how to tune them.

Reactions: FelixS and rsfrid
I had a Wildcat MK2 in .177, only pcp I have ever regretted buying. Was personally told by fx “yeah, in .177 they are hit or miss” It would actually make pinhole groups, sometimes, but then the POI would shift, and then it would shoot a 5” group at 20 yards.
Sounds like clipping.

I bought a Dreamline Classic .22 from a forum member here. Then bought a .177 barrel kit (500mm).

I had a Maverick and got rid of it. My opinion is that if your just shooting pellets, the Dreamline (and perhaps Crown/Royale) is the best from FX - a straightforward simple rifle.

I handicap my Dreamline with the worst scope I have - and it still keeps shooting over 190 most every time in the 30 yard challenge. Its doing this with the “standard” 10.3g JSB/FX pellet - no need for 13 or 16 grain. Speed is 875fps.

Heck, look at the 40 yard (green laser measured to 120.57 feet) 10-shot group with $5.50 Hatsan Vortex Strike 9.25g pellets- using same “tune” as the 10.3g.

My reg setting is in the picture- probably 95 bar.

I’ve done nothing except clean the .177 barrel when I received it new and polished it up a bit with Flitz. I use a Weihrauch moderator (30mm tube haircurlers and washers design) and its super quiet shooting 875fps. I did try to improve the trigger by polishing it.

I’m astounded that the thing shoots so well in .177 and .22. The “barrels” are like from a toy and the triggers in FX - with the spring under the little ball - are sorely lacking compared to other trigger designs… but if anyone asks me about FX .177 , I’d say they shoot good, damn good.

F492F7A2-2409-4B11-9BB2-74E9CC78707C.jpeg

45D17672-13B6-4287-910F-422BB2946E65.jpeg

5AB07CD1-A7A5-4980-9D01-BA601E1D2CD5.jpeg

B578BFB9-677A-4BD5-8C03-A4C3C4F5FFA8.jpeg

2E685A2F-813A-4F58-842C-A84B6B83AC05.jpeg

Well wish I had been smart enough to look for a thread like this before buying a 177 barrel for my Crown.
What a piece of junk - FX has to know they have problems with these barrels but they are not standing behind them.
Had mine a couple weeks - cleaned it upon arrival - got it sighted in - wasn't grouping that great - cleaned after about 100 shots.
Shot another 150 - groups were opening up - cleaned again. Was very filthy every time - just considered it as being new.
By this time it's had almost a full tin shot threw it and cleaned at least 4 times.
Went to the Cajun Grand Prix - took a few sighter shots maybe 20 - then 60 shot course - score was horrible - couldn't figure out why was shooting so bad - decided to clean the barrel after the match - had a very difficult time getting the first patch threw was so bad I thought it was going to get stuck.
At this point it had at the most 120 shots threw it. For the next match I only took about 10 sighters and then shot the match - double my score from the day before but accuracy was falling off toward the end. So now we are only talking about 75 shots at the most - below picture of the first patch.
Contacted FX support and they pretty much just blew me off - their advice - shoot a wet and then a dry cleaning patch threw it after ever mag. Really so during a match I need to say hold up - got to clean my barrel. What a joke.
So guess I'm on my own on this - going to lap the barrel - if that don't fix it then I'll make a fence post out of it.
Absolutely no accuracy problems with my 22 cal barrel - its a tac driver.

IMG_5478 2 Large.jpeg

Last edited:
I confess that I was one of the main antagonists about .177 FX rifles. I finally got my Dreamline Compact Tact to shoot fairly well and I may keep it. I took the .177 barrel off the Crown and put the .22 back on. Not going to bother with that again. That said, my Daystate Revere (unregulated) will outshoot the FXs all day. Even better, my AA 500 HFT is better yet. I just purchased a TX200. It shoots fairly well, but can't hold a candle to the PCPs.

I’ve been on a 177 kick lately. In spite of hearing the same negative review, I got the latest 500mm barrel kit for my FX Wildcat BT. I’ve been shooting the standard 10.3 JSB pellets and they work great. However, the Hades are a bust but I’ve heard that they don’t do well in 177 cal in many guns. I’ve also tried a few slugs and the Zan 13grains are head and shoulders above everything else. Shooting out to 100y at 990fps, they group just as well as the best 22 slugs from my M3. The only challenge was finding a pin probe and slug port for the barrel. I couldn’t find them anywhere in the US and had to get them from Huma.

There’s a YouTuber from Denmark (Viking Airgunner) who has put tremendous effort into getting the best out of 177 slugs from the Wildcat and Impact and he also found the Zans to be the best. Another important consideration here is that he finds that shooting slugs over 13 grains requires a 177 slug liner. They’re only made for 600 and 700mm barrels and again, only seem to be available in Europe.

I've had my DreamTac with a .177 500mm barrel for almost 2 years now. Accuracy is terrific out to 50 or 60 yards. I don't get much opportunity to shoot beyond that, but within that range, mine is lights out accurate. I will say this much though: accuracy improve dramatically with a CF sleeve on the liner. With the way the barrel system is constructed, the shroud spacers tend to slide back toward the breach as you slide the shroud over them. With a CF sleeve (or even a few wraps of tape on the liner to stop the sliding) and the forward spacer in front of the sleeve, the barrel stays centered with the exit of the shroud. If the front spacer moves back too far, that limp noodle of a barrel does not stay centered shot to shot. In my opinion, this is an issue that affects all of the calibers on the Dreamline platform, not just .177.