.177 for all of us?

Isn't that simply preference?!

I only shoot .177; but, that's for convenience. I'd gladly buy and shoot .22, .25, .30--if I had a context or need. Most of my around the house shots are for small pests (so no need for a bigger caliber) and at under 30 yards. Spring coils, gas rams, and CO2 accomplish all I need, in .177 caliber style.

One day, maybe I'll join the ranks of PCP owners and/or bigger bore shooters.

Until then, have fun and be safe,

Arch_E

I went a long long time without a .177. Finally decided that I wanted a mild shooter for the backyard and bought an HW30 in .177. I could not have made a better choice. It is my most used rifle right now. Especially considering I’ve been locked up at home for 3 months. Mine has a receiver mounted aperture sight and the factory front sight. I love shooting it out to about 15 yards in my backyard. 
Kenny

I am a .177 fan and have two, one is a Beeman R9 TK with a Macarri tune, and a Brocock Compatto Sniper XR. The punch of the Brocock for the “smallest” caliber in air rifles is amazing on different target types even on its lowest power setting, and laser accurate. The Brocock is still waiting to draw starling blood, which I hope to do this fall when I am home in Idaho, no pesting in the Netherlands and it will be joined in Idaho by the Crown Conitnuum (which is on order) in .22 (maybe with a 25 / 30 cal barrel). I like the .177 caliber for HFT, and it is a good “home” gun for plinking. Also, the R9 TK has taken out plenty of pest birds like starlings and sparrows.

FWIW... 

I have two .25’s (did have four), Two .22 (now have zero) and have two .177’s ( did have four).
The .25’s I shoot for two weeks a year intently (1400+ rounds this year) on our annual prairie dog hunt and seldom other than that 

Sold the .22’s as they served me no real purpose and shoot my .177’s almost 200 rounds every week (just like today) either participating or practicing for Field Target. 

I think .177 caliber may become the .20 caliber that almost is non existent. Everything in the airgun world is big bore and slugs. All of my airguns are .177 except one .22 caliber. I have noticed some of the new guns start at .22 and do not offer any in .177 cal.

I think there will always be .177 offered in a break barrel. I do wish there were more options in a .20 a caliber most missed the boat on not knowing how sweet this caliber is.

I think .177 caliber may become the .20 caliber that almost is non existent. Everything in the airgun world is big bore and slugs. All of my airguns are .177 except one .22 caliber. I have noticed some of the new guns start at .22 and do not offer any in .177 cal.

Maybe, but I feel like the .177 in the airgun world is like a 22lr in the firearm world no?

Maybe, but I feel like the .177 in the airgun world is like a 22lr in the firearm world no?

Yep

177 has GROWN from what I’ve seen over the years simply due to more people buying airguns. Airgunning has seen a boom from the PCP explosion which made the sport larger overall. Field target is growing fast as well. By comparison maybe 177s take a back seat in some circles to .25 and .30 but overall it’s a desirable caliber. I love them all. My interests are 1) sub 50 yard target and hunting .177 2) 100 yard bench .25 and .30 3) hunting .25 .177 and .22. 

I went through a /2 phase but now and hooked on the 177s. 

I seriously doubt that .177 will decline in use, production, or availability. There may be PCP manufacturers that will opt to not make guns in the caliber available in the US market. However I don’t think that manufactures will stop making guns in .177, specially springers. Nor will the vast amount of customers around the world that aren’t able to shoot FAC guns stop buying them. Yes, you can shoot .22 in sub 12fpe, but at the expense of speed and inherently flatter trajectory. 

I heard .177 slugs are gonna be the next big thing for pcp’s. Me I am only a springer guy for now. I have 2 .177 and 1 .22. I like the .177 for pellet cost. I plan on buying a beeman r9 or hw95 sometime this year. I don’t know if I want a .22 or .177. They both do the same thing with .177 having the accuracy edge with less holdover. I think I answered my own question.