• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 for all of us?

I have two .22's and one .177. My M-rod is the .177 and it's become my franken-project, I've got WAY to much money and time put into the thing BUT - it's also one of my favorite guns too. I originally purchased it for field target - then covid happened. I still 'tricked it out' anticipating on a FT season ( which hasn't happened as of yet ) and have the thing dialed at around 17 ft/lbs - it's stupid accurate and stupid quiet. I've seen some of the 30+ ft/lb .177 monsters that some of the guys in here have built and must admit to having been tempted to buy another m-rod (used) just for that purpose - keep my existing one just for FT and then build some other one that I could use for "killin' critters" ( lol ) at a higher power level and even push slugs through it. One of the guys in here recently posted a hilarious video ( I think it's called The Dial of Death or something like that - that in itself is hilarious! ) where he's running 15g (?) slugs out of a .177 and taking out squirrels at 75 yards - that's pretty wicked with that caliber. ;-) ( or at least I think it is anyway . . . )

I tried .177 / 15 grainish Nielsen slugs in my Compatto, they flew fine, but there was no expansion. The slugs only flew around 625 FPS, and apparently, the slugs need to more the mid-upper 700s to properly expand and be effective. I think you would need to have a “hotter” PCP to have it work, but apparently some of the Hatsans are hotter so they might be effective.

MOST of my airgun collection consist of 177s and I try to get the 177 of what I like. Quieter uses less air and cheap ammo and safer to shoot in urban areas and indoors inside of the house across the kitchen or living room or bed room or office with a good backstop of course all in air conditioned comfort and privacy even shoot naked if you like.

I live in a semi-urban area that affords me the opportunity to shoot Airguns on my property. But the sound of my 45 fpe .22 smacking metal spinner targets rings out pretty loud. My HW100 in .177 is just as accurate with far less noise as well as cheaper to shoot and more air efficient. It’s my first .177 and thinking about another in bullpup configuration.

I don't have a .177 PCP, and I'm thinking I should get one. Kinda seems like something an airgunner should own. The new Huntsman Revere is interesting, and my HW100 in .22 has been impressive, two of my considerations. If FT was in the picture it would be a RAW or Steyr in single shot variant. But for casual targets and plinking, I want a mag option. Fumbling with single loading .177 pellets with arthritic fingers is cumbersome, and can easily deposit the pellet on the ground. The HW100 magazine is one of the best I've ever used, accuracy is not compromised. In general, I can't say the same for Daystate mags, although the new one may be an improvement. I believe small tuning adjustments are also easier with the Weihrauch, which is good, as the .177 version seems to have a history of being delivered shooting too hot. Guess there are a lot of good .177 rifles out there.

I don't have a .177 PCP, and I'm thinking I should get one. Kinda seems like something an airgunner should own. The new Huntsman Revere is interesting, and my HW100 in .22 has been impressive, two of my considerations. If FT was in the picture it would be a RAW or Steyr in single shot variant. But for casual targets and plinking, I want a mag option. Fumbling with single loading .177 pellets with arthritic fingers is cumbersome, and can easily deposit the pellet on the ground. The HW100 magazine is one of the best I've ever used, accuracy is not compromised. In general, I can't say the same for Daystate mags, although the new one may be an improvement. I believe small tuning adjustments are also easier with the Weihrauch, which is good, as the .177 version seems to have a history of being delivered shooting too hot. Guess there are a lot of good .177 rifles out there.

It's too hot here to enjoy shooting much and I didn't set up a chrono to zero the .177 HW100. But the sound on target seems like mid 900's (maybe upper) to me with the 7.9 Crosman pellets. Accuracy was expected by past reports but it was really impressive with those cheap pellets so I will certainly leave it as is and maybe chrono it when the weather cools. MId summer is miserably hot and humid here and guns quickly get really nasty shooting outside so I don't shoot as much during summer. But I have some squirrels knocking down bird feeders to deal with and I wanted to use that new gun for the job.

Hmmm a little 177 slug shooter would be cool!

I've tried multiple slugs in my .177 FX Streamline & it didn't like any of them as was expected. I have a .177 Crown on order & am hoping that at some point FX will make a "Superior" barrel available. Seeing as how my Streamline is basically used as a shorter range (< 40 yards) squirrel gun, having the new Crown shoot slugs accurately would probably add at least 10 yards to my range & have better wind bucking ability. It seems like a natural fit. By the way, my 880 shoots the slugs better than the Streamline. The Streamline is deadly accurate with 10.34 AA pellets. I've tried both NSA and Griffin .177 slugs. Griffin has the .177's available in 10 gr. which may shoot well in the lower powered fully rifled barreled guns. I wonder if FX has future plans for a slug barrel and their Hybrid Slugs in .177. They show Hybrids as a probability because it's listed as a size on the box of .25 Hybrid Slugs. Who knows when though, especially since the larger calibers seem to be trending & getting all of the attention now.

Paul

I've been on a .22 kick for years. Sold all my guns except one which is my Taipan Veteran standard .177. I was thinking about selling it and getting one last .22 but then taking it out and shooting I just can't sell it as it just performs really well and is super quiet and accurate. Also maybe only shoot out to 75yds max. I think the .177 is gonna be my go to now. And if I need anything more I have an excellent .22lr.

Isn't that simply preference?!

I only shoot .177; but, that's for convenience. I'd gladly buy and shoot .22, .25, .30--if I had a context or need. Most of my around the house shots are for small pests (so no need for a bigger caliber) and at under 30 yards. Spring coils, gas rams, and CO2 accomplish all I need, in .177 caliber style.

One day, maybe I'll join the ranks of PCP owners and/or bigger bore shooters.

Until then, have fun and be safe,

Arch_E

I'm in this camp. All mine are .177s. I'm looking at adding another and it will also be another .177.

If and when I need something bigger, then I'll add a .22 or .25, but for my needs .177 fits the bill. 

Maybe, but I feel like the .177 in the airgun world is like a 22lr in the firearm world no?

Agree.

Of all my powder burners, the 22lr get the most usage. Cheap(er) to feed, fun and challenging to shoot at closer range. Quieter.

Of all the guns I own, the airguns (177) get the most usage. Cheap(er) to feed, fun and challenging to shoot at closer range. Quieter... the convenience to be able to shoot in the basement or backyard is hard to beat!

When I first got into air rifles as an adult I thought to myself .177 is the tiny caliber I used to shoot as a kid. I thought hmm I should get a .22 and I did. Then I said you know what I am going to buy a .25 just to see if it had extra punch. You know what it did. 

so on my second air rifle in figuring out that I really do like air rifles as an adult in particular I really like the hatsan edge rifle. They just seem to fit perfect and feel perfect for me. Now that's what finally led me to purchasing the .177. 

It was only after I purchased the all other calibers available for the edge that I obtained the .177. 

Guess which one of the rifles I love the most. .177 matter fact I bought two one for parts. I'm not sure why if it's the cheaper ammo or what it is but something draws me to the 177 more than any of the other calibers.

Should we all have one yes we should!we should always try it I thought it would be childish but turns out to be my favorite caliber.