• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 for 8 year old to learn and take to competetions?

I have a 8 year grand daughter that would like to get into the 4 H shooting matches this summer, I am looking for quality Air gun probably non pcp, what would you recommend?
Depends entirely on budget.
I saw an....Umarex youth model saying that it was what the youth nra matches use? Might check that out🎩🤙

Reactions: T&J2002
Budget would be 500
At that budget; you could get 4 or 5 of what I was thinking of.... example

Screenshot_20230131-191149_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Varmint101
An Hw30 would make a great rifle for a new shooter. It’s light, has mild power (about 7fpe), is very accurate and has a terrific trigger. The sights are nice but I think the addition of a Williams rear aperture sight is a great idea. That’s how mine is set up and I love it. The little rifle also just begs for a little 3-9 power scope if you want to go that way. The length of pull is on the short side but does fit me well so I’m not sure how well it will fit an 8 year old. That would be my only concern.

When my daughter was little she started out with a QB79 177 co2 rifle.. I cut the stock down to fit her.. she could load and shoot it great... She's a grown adult now with 3 of her own... I have her son (my grandson 😀)
Shooting a 2260 co2 rifle... He wants to go squirrel hunting with grandpa 👍

If the choice for PCP were added what would the options be

That depends on stature of the 8 year. A BSA Ultra can be had used around $500, but might be too big. A 1720T can be made into a super lightweight carbine and has a very accurate Lothar barrel, but is single shot vs mag fed. The Marauder Pistol can be made into the same lightweight carbine but is .22 only and doesn't have a Lothar barrel.

There have been some T200's in the classifieds that are slightly out of your price range, but are incredibly accurate and pretty lightweight for a rifle.

Maybe daisy match grade rifle? That has 4h / club/ youth in mind

If you want to try one cheap to see if she likes it or not ..

The CMP is selling reconditioned Daisy 853 Sporter Air Rifles to promote the development of more new junior shooters.
( Bottom of page)

Last edited: