.177 BSA R10 SE Carbine - my thoughts

There are numerous good review videos out on YouTube regarding the BSA R10 SE. Always looking for another rifle to try and to add to my collection, I purchased a black pepper laminate carbine from AOA that was on sale a couple of weeks ago. Owning numerous other pcps, I believe I am qualified to offer a few of my perspectives relative to this rifle.

I have included a photo of the rifle as found below. I do believe there was a slight defect where the laminate didn't quite cover the base stock, evident about 3" from the back and an inch or so up from the bottom. The rifle was so heavily discounted, I didn't complain. One can't feel it so I can only assume they put the hard finish over the top of it. Not a big deal but not ideal, either.

I really like the positive nature of pulling the bolt back, and don't find it at all offensive when compared to my numerous side lever AA, RAW, Daystate, and Weihrauch pcps. The trigger arrived too heavy and long in the 2nd stage pull. The directions in the owner's manual were excellent, though I would just as soon not have to empty the air bottle to remove the stock - but again, not a big deal. Once adjusted, the trigger is fantastic, and the adjustment procedure as good as any I have worked with to date.

The shot count isn't something to be bragged about. Though I have not shot it just too see when it drops of the reg, the gauge goes into the caution zone at about 45 shots.

And the regulator, while it obviously works, the resulting SDs from my tests indicate that the reg isn't as precise as many of my other rifles that shoot SDs of 1 and 2, with the best SD achieved being only 4 fps.

The rifle is really quiet, light, and extremely well balanced. I wasn't too thrilled with the accuracy, until I got to the Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5s. As indicated below, with these pellets I was able to achieve a two ten shot group average of only .10" C-t-C at 18 yards.

As far as power, as indicated below, my testing indicated consistent output of 18 to 20 fpe.

All in all, for the money I expended, this rifle is appears to be an exceptional value. It is not on par with my Red Wolf, RAW or Weihrauch 100 T, but was fractionally priced. It is beautiful in appearance, deadly with the right pellets, and appears to built well.

1 - Rifle.03.19.22.1647721943.jpg
2 - Pellet Test Target.03.19.22.1647721944.jpg

Nice review BDZ and shooting. I see we’re neighbors. I bought the R-10 SE as well not the carbine a few months back and like the rifle. The walnut stock is done great and nice to loom at. The one I have likes the Crosman’s 10.5 as well I used others and it’s not pellet picky. I’m getting just about 50 nice regulated shots with a lot of duplicate FPS.

I bought mine on sale from Pyramid Air two months ago. I see they don’t carry it anymore. I think mine still needs a few more shots through it to break in to give it a final. But overall for now is a keeper. Mine is a bit heavy but I just shoot from the bench so no worries. I have an Air Max scope coming this week to mount way better than the UTG for this rifle. Overall I’m very happy with it. Good luck with yours. 

image.1647723112.jpg

Nice review BDZ and shooting. I see we’re neighbors. I bought the R-10 SE as well not the carbine a few months back and like the rifle. The walnut stock is done great and nice to loom at. The one I have likes the Crosman’s 10.5 as well I used others and it’s not pellet picky. I’m getting just about 50 nice regulated shots with a lot of duplicate FPS.

I bought mine on sale from Pyramid Air two months ago. I see they don’t carry it anymore. I think mine still needs a few more shots through it to break in to give it a final. But overall for now is a keeper. Mine is a bit heavy but I just shoot from the bench so no worries. I have an Air Max scope coming this week to mount way better than the UTG for this rifle. Overall I’m very happy with it. Good luck with yours.

View attachment 205296
Let me know if you ever want to sell it.. I might be a buyer..