.177 brass or nylon brush

The accuracy of my HW 50s has fallen off. I've checked all the usual and then ran some patches thru but the accuracy hasn't come back. Will a rod and brush for a .177 caliber rim fire fit?
Yes it will - but- I would recommend polishing the bore to remove the micro-burrs that are causing the buildup in the first place (will also give it a damn good clean in the process). Length of string 2+ times the length of the barrel. Cleaning patch knotted into the middle. Good dollop of mild abrasive paste on the patch. Feed it through the barrel. Put your foot in a loop at the bottom of the string, hold the other end in a hand and the use your free hand to wank the barrel up and down. Add (I use Autosol) paste as required to the patch. When you are done (well, when you have excessive muscle development on your dominant arm (and your partner is looking at you strangely) ((Kidding, ten minutes or so)) clean your barrel as normal with a pull through until the patches come out clean.

I’ve done this on 30+ barrels and it has never failed to both improve accuracy and reduce pellet fussiness. Also was the method Ripley use to accurize their barrels, and they are makers of top end utterly beautiful rifles - amongst the best in the world if you are not familiar.

Reactions: HeyU
Maybe make your own pull through string ..

patchworm.jpg

Just use a strong thread / cord.

I’ve almost never been in a situation with an airgun barrel where the fouling is so severe that a bronze brush was necessary. However bronze is a 3 on the Mohs scale whereas steel is 4 - 4.5 so there’s no need to be concerned about damaging a barrel with one.

The more relevant concern is avoiding raking the rod against the crown because any microabrasive material embedded into it from prior use has the potential to wear a subtle bell mouth into the muzzle. Therefore work from the breech end when possible or use a guide bushing.

Reactions: HeyU
You could do the pull through cord thig like i showed above ( works probably the best in little .177)

Then go buy a bag of bronze or copper or brass wool and twist a .177 ead of it for the string. . notice that in my picture above ( but mine is non soaping fine oiled steel wool ).

I agree about the rods in most kits is it scrapes around on your rifling and muzzle end( crown). Not too spiffy..

Example bags ( course to fine , pick your poison😉)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fine-Grade-Bronze-Wool-Pads-3-Pack-123100/100185012

Just go buy a air rifle cleaning kit that does .177.. there cheap enugh ...( just not as cheap or does any better then my self made string thing above)

For a Example..

In powder burner kits its got to do .17 or none fit (.22 and up)

Now the thing is once you do a pb kit the .17 brushes are hard to find / get easy.

Be careful, some of the copper cleaning pads are copper plated or copper washed steel. Check them before use.
Not what i posted ... pure wool not kitchen pads..lol

Used for gun cleaning many , many, many years . Also ive used steel wool and scotch Brite patches on my string like in forever. No adverse effects yet.. ( see my pics above . A steel wool and a scotch Brite patch used)