• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 best weight for accuracy

i have a Diane 350 magnum in .177 caliber. i bought the variety pack with different pellet weights. rifle did not like the light fast pellets and didn't show any real accuracy until i tried the copper coated Crossman 10.6 gr. they were shooting .75 at 50 yards. being new to air rifles in the 21st century I'm not sure if that's good or bad. The H&N hornets shot about the same at 10.3 gr's. i use the rifle mainly on squirrels in my pecan trees.

I dont shoot magnum in .177 but mine seems comfortable with 7.9 -9grain stuff. I just used some 7 grain and in low power like a pistol (500fps) there ok to 50', bit faster stuff like 800+fps not so.. then id guess part of this can drpend on the gun and its barrel fit / pellet picky or not as well.. i dont guess that crosman 10.6 your using is doing bad id take that all day . maybe you'll find a better, then you know you used worse.😉.

Enjoy

i have a Diane 350 magnum in .177 caliber. i bought the variety pack with different pellet weights. rifle did not like the light fast pellets and didn't show any real accuracy until i tried the copper coated Crossman 10.6 gr. they were shooting .75 at 50 yards. being new to air rifles in the 21st century I'm not sure if that's good or bad. The H&N hornets shot about the same at 10.3 gr's. i use the rifle mainly on squirrels in my pecan trees.
Were you looking to get 0.5" accuracy at 50 yards?
If so, you are touching on PCP type accuracy.
I don't own a Diana 350...but from what I read about most springers (and shooting the ones I own), 0.5" groups at 50 yard may not be the norm.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Were you looking to get 0.5" accuracy at 50 yards?
If so, you are touching on PCP type accuracy.
I don't own a Diana 350...but from what I read about most springers (and shooting the ones I own), 0.5" groups at 50 yard may not be the norm.
It's really not. I'm sure some guys can do it but for most people 1" or better is basically the goal. Occasionally you'll get those breathtaking 1/4" groups but they aren't the norm. Those are the ones you brag about though!

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I had a diana 52 many years ago, and never got it to group well except some heavy weight wadcutters. I could not understand why a flat headed pellet was more accurate than a round nose one. In my child hood the round nose ones usually seems to shoot the best. I did not know back then, that all the other lighter pellets was shooting to fast for that gun. Some light pellets actually reached the speed of sound, with a loud crack. Many springers are advertised with 1000, or 1200 fps, which is a bad idea shooting any pellet. The advertisement are missleading the customers. And many does not have a chronograph, so they can not really tell if the pellet weight is to light. It is easier in this internet age, to find the right information. If your gun is as powefull as the 48/52 model, you already seems to have discovered that the gun likes heavier pellet weights, to not shoot to fast:)

If you've had your tin of Crosman 10.5 for awhile do not be surprised if a new tin shoots differently. I had an older tin shoot as well as H&N 10.65 in my P35 but two new tins were much worse. Head sizes were all over the place. If it likes them heavy then you have JSB 10.3s, several H&N varieties at 10.65 in addition to the Crosmans you've tested. I find H&N Match are the most consistent in head size.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
If you've had your tin of Crosman 10.5 for awhile do not be surprised if a new tin shoots differently. I had an older tin shoot as well as H&N 10.65 in my P35 but two new tins were much worse. Head sizes were all over the place. If it likes them heavy then you have JSB 10.3s, several H&N varieties at 10.65 in addition to the Crosmans you've tested. I find H&N Match are the most consistent in head size.
Ya, i seen the pre-covid vs covid ( the packaging going from usa primer to
"airpower") vs post covid tins.. but i do see there getting better and now seem fine again.. there for awile it was kinda sad.