• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.177 at 100 yards that much of a disadvantage over .22,25, .30?

Well, as the question notes, to you long distance air gun gu-rus....

I was at the range today shooting 50 yards. Checked the wind an a 2 mph wind seem to push the pellet about 1/2 to 1 inch at 50 yards.
I finally bought a wind meter to try to really clamp down on shooting. So i like to shoot .177 because of the minimal air usage and increase shot count.
My question to you guys that have shot all the calibers what do you think about shooting 100 to 125 yards with a .177 ?

Today I realized how small of weather changes effect pellet drift. So in your opinion are there huge advantages shooting the .25 or .3 at 100 to 125 yards ?
If you could give example between these calibers that be great. 

I shot at 100 yards today it was not very windy but my grouping were just ok. I got them on target but probably a 3 to 6 inch group. I was shooting an impact .177 at about 850 to 890 fps. 
Am I asking to much from this Caliber or is it my shooting ? I do have other calibers but have not tested out shooting that far. 

Jay

i shoot a raw bm500 177 at 19fp with barecuda 10.6 grain at 100 too125 yards all the time. with low winds its no problem to get groups of 2 inches... some times 4 out of 5 shots are the size of a dime. with uunweighed and sunsized pellets. and get small groups at 125 yards. I got no problems taking rabbits out too 125 and head shots.
​at 50 yards im doing groups of 3 to 13 mm 

aa_limiyted, I take it you are a .177 kind of guy. Rare these days. Ok, well, let me pick your brain. So I have a few different .177 just like the cal seems so simple. 
I have a ftp900 12FPE world Class airgun. an Edgun Leshiy and a FX impact. 
Most of my shooting has been with the impact. I am shooting JSB 10.3 at about 880 fps which equates to 17 or 18 fpe. 

Any thoughts ? Is it much easier with a .25 cal ?

Thanks, 

it just depends on the bc of the pellet and the fps u are shooting. for example some .177 pellets have a higher bc than some 22 pellets
and some 22 pellets have a higher bc than some 25 pellets.

​my raw bm500 177 is the most accurate air rifle ive shot at 50 yards... but my aa510 22 cal seems to be better I nthe wind over all

my raw is 177 20 fp and my 510 is .22 cal 40 fp

Just to answer your question, I would say yes, a .177 is quite at a disadvantage compared to a .25 or .30 at 100 yards. As AA mentioned, the BC of the pellet will play a big part, but all things being equal, a .25 or .30 will shoot much better at 100 yards than a .177. And as the wind increases, the gap between them gets exponentially bigger. 

I'm not saying shooting .177 at longer distances isn't doable or fun. I have a 8" gong out at 135 yards that I love to hit with my RAW TM1000 at 19 FPE. But, boy, was it easier to do with my Royale 500...

Question for AA....

Have you ever put a chronograph down range at the distances you are talking about?

I have only gone out to 50yards (how I killed my first chrony) and was shocked at the speeds I got at that range....I would love to see numbers that far out....for what it is worth I was seeing about a 30% drop in speed across the board at 50 yards....pellets are not the best against the wind.

With the limited testing I have done I would think a 177 against a rabbit at 125 would be marginal at best.

Now for the OP.....

My personal experience....wind can change a great deal in 100 yards....and if anything is around it gets really rough as the wind moves around whatever it is. For ME, I do like to push the distance on 177, but I would never hunt with it past 50 yards as I feel the energy is just not there to do an ethical kill, also so much question comes into the shot I am not comfortable with it.

Really if you want to reach out to 100 yards and over 22 is the minimum you really want to do. Shooting a great deal of small bore silhouette has shown me that even with 22 rimfire there is so much that can act on the bullet at 100 yards asking that from a 177 pellet with a really garbage BC going MUCH slower is really pushing it.

So to answer your last question, yes I think you are asking too much of that caliber...however it is fun to do and I think it will make you a better shooter.

Shutik, I have kinda of seen the same results. So here will be my next post on a forum. When to use a certain Pellet in a type of condition. So I have shot 8.4 10.3, 16.5 and the 21.1 pile drivers all in .177 cal. Cant remember shooing the 13.4 grainers.

So what did i notice. Well in perfect conditions the 8.4 and 10.3 shot the most accurate. The 16 grain JSB monsters were all over the place at 50 yards but were ok. The 21.1 pile drivers had some hopes some would group really well and some would not. Out of an FX impact .177 I had to hand load the pile drivers. 

Anyway, about an hour later the wind picked up left to right by about 10 miles an hour. Well you guessed it the 8.4 were getting pushed off by about 4 to 6 inches at 50. The 10.4 a bit less, the 16.1 were about 3 to 4 inches the pile drivers were the best at about 1 to 2.5 inches.

SO the big question with everything is the same and it is a horribly windy day do you try to dope the wind with the most accurate pellet or use a better pellet for the conditions at hand ? Say a 35 yard hunting shot with high winds gusting up to 20 mph ? 8.4 or a 21.2 pile driver ahh decisions decisions

a very accurate 177 in the hands of someone who knows the wind will do better in a match than somone who don't know the wind or how to read it.
I have vast experiene with the 177. 35 years of it.

​I have no problem takeing rabbits out past 125 yards with it. but if u want to go with a 177. learn your gun and the wind.

aa_limited. I see you shoot those Baracuda 10.6 pellets about 900 fps. Do you shoot any other calibers ? Also, why do you choose the .177 vs other cals?

Curious ?

To me advantages seems like less air usage, price of pellets, more pellet choices ect.

Ditadvantages seem like wind drift, bc pellet slow down ect. 

Are you only shooting .177 caliber ? Are you only shooting 1 .177 or do you more than one ?
I have an ftp900 and an impact in .177. Still sorting it out. 

Thanks
jay

aa_limited. I see you shoot those Baracuda 10.6 pellets about 900 fps. Do you shoot any other calibers ? Also, why do you choose the .177 vs other cals?

Curious ?

To me advantages seems like less air usage, price of pellets, more pellet choices ect.

Ditadvantages seem like wind drift, bc pellet slow down ect.

Are you only shooting .177 caliber ? Are you only shooting 1 .177 or do you more than one ?
I have an ftp900 and an impact in .177. Still sorting it out.

Thanks
jay
i have .22 its 40 foot pounds.. its a s510 and it cant keep up with the accuracy of the raw bm500 i have in .177......so for accuracy up to 50 yards i hvent used an air gun that can keep up with my little .177 accuracy wise