• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

177 airforce rifle

Hi to all, I'm not new to to this forum or to shooting pcp air rifles but somewhat limited to experience because none of my friends shoot or are interested in shooting pellet guns. I have a 25 cal FX Bobcat and a 25 cal AirForce Condor 24 in barrel. These are my shooters and I really like both guns for different reasons, Bobcat very accurate but a little underpowered for my liking but I still love shooting it at dispensing squirrels to 60 yards. More yardage than that with normal wind outdoors in squirrel land doesn't always conclude in head shot kills so I purchased a Condor. More power using swaged bullets and hitting chest area leaves them terminated. This is true up to 125 yards with my experience. Now at my age (70) and my experience (no where near the experience of a lot of you guys) I'm wanting another two rifles, a big bore 308 and the one this topic is all about. A F in .177 cal using Nielson 18 or 21 gr hollow points. My goal with this is to get the flattest trajectory possible with smallest diameter bullet pushing 1,000 fps. I don't want to just change barrels I want a separate shooter. This is an I want not an I need so as I am saving quietly under the radar so my wife doesn't hear anything until it arrives I wanted to hear a little chatter on this or skip it and go for the 308. Thanks for reading and hopefully contemplating and sharing your thoughts.

Thank you for your input, James what custom barrel are you hinting at ? Gunlocators my Bobcat is rated at 48 ft lbs from AOA, that's enough I think but taking a large animal with that isn't my forte. I don't have firearms because I don't care for the noise. I live in California central valley and dairy's, almond orchards, horse ranches and irrigation canals all over the place with abundandt populations pestering these places. The land and business owners are welcoming me on their properties because I'm nearly silent. I believe I need this 177 for these purposes and later the 308 for the more spooky ones that don't let you get close. Thus the long shots, perhaps I could skip the 177 and go for the big bore. Either way I'm saving and researching to make the choice. I'm not wealthy so trying to keep some kind of budget on the choices is necessary. AirForce is powerful and accurate enough for me and I'm already fond of my Condor. I just want to kick this around here so I get it right the first time hopefully. Thank every one much appreciated.

.177 is the most popular calibre here in the uk due to our restrictions on power, however there is very little to gain using such a small pellet at higher power levels. The smaller Dia of both the barrel and transfer port greatly increases friction so even though the pellet is lighter you will use almost the same amount of air as a heavier .22 slug at the same speed.

Bb