1720T Bumblebee

A couple months ago I asked for opinions on a pistol field target legal PCP pistol. Many said the 1720T and that's what I decided to go with. The intent was pistol field target a couple times a year, but otherwise just a fun, low powered plinker for garage fun. I've so far really enjoyed it in that capacity.

First off though, it really needed a fancy stock from Steve Corcoran @ https://www.scstocksandgrips.com/

I requested a black and yellow lam as I've always liked that combo, and boy did he deliver! 

left.1637387038.jpg

right.1637387038.jpg

bottom.1637387067.jpg
left rear.1637387067.jpg
right rear.1637387067.jpg

SC was great to deal with, quick to respond to emails, kept me updated on progress, delivered in the original time frame that he quoted. I'd recommend him but that's not news to anybody who's been in the airgun game for very long. 

His stock really made a kinda old-school, bare-bones simple PCP pistol into something special. Feels great in the hand, nice flat forearm for shooting off a knee. The one piece design totally changes the impression of the 1720, it just feels SOLID now. So far I like it. A lot. 

Also had SC do some inletting for the Anschutz rail there in the "forearm." Which is the only kinda bummer about it, the groove is different dimensions than the Anschutz to picatinny adapter that I have, so can't get to a bipod that way. And it's also different dimensions than my MAC1 knee riser (not that those are legal for pistol FT anyway, just thought it'd be fun to shoot off a knee and bumbag, or from a bench/bipod for fun, shooting flys and general dinking around). I'm wondering if those cheap, heavy gauge-wire-for-legs bipods have the correct shaped male rail to mate up. Might be worth the $20 to see.

Oh, I'd considered buying one of the adapters that attaches to the back end of the tube and allows an AR type buttstock to be added. Won't work with this stock as the action nestles down into the inletting so much that the rear of the tube is not accessible. That's not too much of a heart breaker though, cuz the scope I went with wouldn't work with a stock anyway, and I'm not big on swapping scopes around. Usually I leave a scope on a gun for a long time. 

That leads me into the scope. Topped it off with a MTC Viper Connect 3-12x32. Really a kinda odd scope as it has a super short eye relief, I mean hold your eye on the ocular, short eye relief. It even has a 5/8inch wide rubber ocular with coarse threading that is meant to bring it back into contact with the orbital bone, proximal to the bridge of ones nose. The manual says only for PCPs and rimfires with the ominous warning of "serious injury" if mounted on any recoiling gun. Makes me grimace to even think of the pain this little scope would mete out on my 30.06. OUCH! I understand it is legal to use the head/face as a contact point to help stabilize the gun for pistol FT, so it might be a fortuitously odd feature. Time will tell, as I still need to get a wheel on it and see if it's serviceable as a range-by-focus scope. Otherwise, compact little scope that just feels and looks correctly proportioned for a pistol, 30mm tube, 10 yard min focus, really wide field of view, glass-etched reticle-which isn't too bad of a design, MTC calls it the SCB but it's different in real life than the MTC literature. 

Here (hard to get pics of this, so sorta grainy and dark but it's the nature of sticking a cell phone camera behind a scope, not the scope image itself)

2021-11-19_22h53_49.1637387653.jpg

As for the 1720T. What a cool little gun! I've not turned an adjustment screw on it yet, and not currently planning to. Great trigger, the one on this gun is breaking at 10ounces (5 shot average) and feels pretty good, seems a much better trigger than on a regular Crosman 2240 or 1377 or even Discovery. And it came tuned very efficiently too. A really good factory tune compared to some that I've seen. 

factory chrono.1637389213.jpg

Realistically, as long as 8.2fpe is enough for desired uses, 50 shots within 38fps, 40 shots within 27fps, or probably about 30 shots within 18 or 20fps if started at around 2600psi and refilled around 2000. For 10 or 12 yards in the garage, or even 30 yards out in the yard, 30fps spreads aren't going to matter much. I'm personally not a good enough shot with a pistol for the difference to show up between an ES of 30 or 10fps.

I've considered (and researched a bit) doing what most people do, and drilling out the transfer port and playing with hammer length and hammer spring tension to get it right under 12fpe. The general consensus (and realistic expectation) sans regulator, seems to be around 20 or 25 shots from this pistol, when bumped up to 12fpe. So, roughly cutting the shot count in half. I'm still trying to decide what to do there, but leaning towards leaving it at 8.2fpe, with the rationale being that 95% of my shooting of this gun will be just shooting for fun, where 11.5 fpe won't do anything for me that 8.2fpe does. In fact the higher fpe would be a detriment to the way this gun will mostly be used, as it'll be louder, and cut the shot count in half. As-is, it doesn't need a moderator and 40-50 shots is enough to shoot quite a bit between fills. So, for now, it'll stay as it was tuned by Crosman. 

The jSB 8.44 seems to shoot really accurately, stacking them into the same hole regularly, at realistic distances. In fact, I temporarily put a 20x scope and the wobbly Crosman stock on it and was shooting at Azrover's biathlon-type target last month. 30 yards if I remember right. It's five or six kill zones starting at around 3/4inch and going down to either 3/8 or 1/4inch. A little flag pops up with a clean shot. Once I figured out dope, I went 3 for 3 on the smallest 3 kill zones. I was impressed. With that being said, I might see how it does with the JSB 7.87 or even the old boxed CPs, as I've got a decent supply of both right now. It didn't seem to do quite so well with H&N FTT 8.64grain. 

I started this crazy airgun addiction with Crosmans, and it feels kinda like coming home to be excited for, and enjoying, a Crosman again. 

(All the Crosman addicts know about the woes of the single tiny little screw in the bottom of the metal breech on the Disco/2240/1377/etc and it being the weak link. The 1720T breech, held to the tube with four bolts, is the design that all Crosmans should have been. Much more robust and better engineered here with the 1720T breech to tube fixing method. Oh, and the LW barrel is just the cherry on top, less of a I-got-a-golden-ticket experience and more of a the-danged-thing-just-shoots-like-it-should experience.)

Franklink,

Once again you've put out an excellent review! I really like the detail you go into on your topic posts. Keep up the good work.

We've been emailing a little, so you've seen the pictures of my SC stock already since both our stocks were in the production line around the same time but here's the finished product. I picked up a Hill moderator since I have a significantly smaller property than you (from what I've seen in your photos) and have to keep it pretty quiet around here. JD's in the process of making me a wheel for this gun also and I'm hoping it will be here soon.

The inexpensive Amazon presentation bipod seems to fit the rail pretty good. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Competition-Ground-Display-Anschutz/dp/B01M9CSPBS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=BWGC6FYLMF5W&keywords=anschutz+bipod&qid=1637433381&sprefix=anschutz%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-2 

I agree with everything you said about these pistols. I haven't had mine very long but I have to admit it's an accurate little bugger'. I know at 10 meters it's just as, if not more, accurate than my IZH 46M pistols.

I haven't been able to help myself so I have puttered around with adjusting some things a little and I'm around 11 fpe with a string of about 20 or so pretty consistent shots with 10.34 gr pellets between 2750 - 1750 psi. I've only shot a few of the 8.4? gr through it and it likes them too. My adjustments didn't really seem to make the pistol any louder nor more quiet. Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing too! Ha! One of these days you'll have to please let me know how you make the cool shot string charts you have above.

I also love Motorheads pistols in the photo above. Especially the top one. I wish I had the know-how and equipment to create such fine equipment.

Take care; Everyone have a safe & great Thanksgiving!

Pic 1.1637432138.jpg
Pic 2.1637432138.jpg
Pic 3.1637432139.jpg

@motorhead and @qball, I considered going the regulator route but for now will probably refrain. It's gonna pull plinking duty much more often than pistol FT duty, probably a 95/5 split actually. 

@SAZ, glad to hear the presentation bipod will fit this forearm rail from SC! Thanks for that. Also, thanks for sharing the info with me that SC was willing to inlet yours, as I asked him to do the same to mine as soon as you told me that was an option. I like the forest camo color scheme of yours too, very nice!. As for the shot string chart, it's just Excel. I input all the fps info down the first column, one fps per box. So for the above shared string, column A had the 40 shot string, and column B had the same 40 shots, but with 8 before and 2 after the 40 (total 50 shots). A1 = B9 and A2 = B10 and so on, since the 40 shot string in essentially embedded into the 50 shot string. I don't particularly enjoy shooting over a chrono so both strings are really the same string, and then I plotted out the 40 "good" consistent shots. Paying attention to fill pressure every couple of shots when shooting a string can minimize the wasted pellets/the need to shoot another string starting at a different starting and ending pressure. When collecting chrono data like this I just start with a wider gap in pressures than I expect the unregulated gun to really need to be used at for optimal consistency. 

Something like this:

xcel.1637476373.jpg

To get the plotted line, go to "INSERT" and then click on this little icon where I placed the red arrow.

plot line.1637476500.jpg

You can play around in there to change increments of x and y axis, as well as the starting and ending values of x and y. It's amazing how flat (or not) a shot string can be made to look by messing with how the info is displayed. 

For the min, max, SD, and average I use these formulas. (A1 = first shot of the 40 shot string, and A40 = last shot of the 40 shot string, just change the values to match your string). ES is just manually subtracting min from max. 

=STDEV(A1:A40)

=AVERAGE(A1:A40)

=MIN(A1:A40)

=MAX(A1:A40)

Here's another example, for the 50 shot string in column B.

=STDEV(B1:B50)

=AVERAGE(B1:B50)

=MIN(B1:B50)

=MAX(B1:B50)

And then to get it all in one screen shot with the plotted line, I just add a text box under the plotted line and type out the particulars. 

The thing about excel is that there are about 50 ways to do whatever you want to, so there are likely much easier ways. I'm no Excel guru so just blunder my way through whatever I need it to do. 

Hopefully that answers some questions about how I display the chrono data. Let me know when you figure out an easier way to do it, as I'm sure there is. 

(edit: I should clarify that I use the oldest, most simple chronograph out there, an Alpha shooting chrony, the red one. Yeah, I know, a dang near antique. Newer chronographs will do all the stats for you, but mine seems to only show stats for the 30 most recent shots. It'll keep recording shots past 30, but the stat function of ES and Hi and low and SD is only for the most recent 30. Again, me doing it the hard way, but it works so I'll stick with it til it dies or I accidentally put a pellet through a sensor or the screen. Cool thing bout this Alpha is that I've got an old school halogen light that was salvaged out of a roping arena by my dad. It was one of the overhead lights so super bright. He welded up a frame for the light as it gets HOT. Anyway, that old school halogen light and the Alpha chrono get along really well together, to the point of me having figured out a way to use it without even fiddling with those fussy diffusers and sectioned rods that come with the chronograph. Using only the LED lights in my current garage, and the fluorescent lighting in the last garage makes the Alpha fritz out. But with the old timey halogen light, I can get fps readings more reliably than out in the sun. Don't break it if it aint fixed mentality with my light and nearly antique chronograph, lol). 

Franklink,

WOW! Thanks for all of that info!

I'm heading out for a day of shooting some sporting clays (shotgun) up near Picacho Peak, AZ. Should be a really nice day for it...High of about 82 and not much wind. What's not to love about that in November? Now, 115 degrees in June is a different story.......

Anyway, I thought I'd skim through some of the forums before I head out and saw this post from Professor F-link. A quick look at it at this hour of the day is making my head spin a little since your Excel skill level is way above mine obviously. I'll go through the info several more times in the next couple days and try my hand at making a graph happen. I'll let you know how it goes. I use one of the FX Chronographs which operates pretty well for me. I suppose there are more expensive and maybe accurate ones out there, but I like the portability of the unit and it's pretty easy to use.

Again, thanks for all the detailed info. Have a safe, happy Thanksgiving if I don't talk to you by the end of the week.

What an amazing laminate! (They all are). I know that feeling you have about a fun that just works the way it is supposed to. My 1701P is like that. No fiddling, just hole in hole performance (and the smile that comes with it) I don't shoot competitively but I do have a few resettable FT that the lower power 1701 will still knock down with no issues. I mostly use it indoors at 10 meters and it is almost boring to shoot as the accuracy is incredible.

Man I had some fun with this thing this evening!!!

PXL_20211129_230530734.1638231247.jpg

Shooting from that setup....

Upper left = 10 shots @ 47 yards with H&N FTT 8.65gr. Same pellet and distance right below that, another ten shots. 

PXL_20211129_233716621.1638231296.jpg

5 @ 47 yards. Still FTTs. Aim point was bird poop on fence. Fence quarters away and that can be seen in the pellet strikes. 

PXL_20211129_232045819.1638231405.jpg

This is two ten shot groups @ 47 with JSB 7.87s. Pointer fingernail covers 8 of the 10 in both groups. 

PXL_20211130_000859340.1638231515.jpg
PXL_20211130_000856437.1638231516.jpg

And ten at the fence with 7.87s, still 47 yards, fence right behind and above the pellet traps. 

PXL_20211130_000718504.1638231576.jpg

This is a five shot group @ 47 yards with FTTs. 

PXL_20211129_2337130142.1638231644.jpg

And, believe it or not, I was able to connect with my 92 yard, 2 inch paddles pretty often! (Long ways for a little over 8fpe). 

Screenshot_20211129-161107.1638231688.png

THAT was fun!!! 

Maybe the most airgun fun I've had in a while. No frustration of how me or the equipment was performing, just plinking for the sheer joy of it. Had the little buddy bottle next to me, easy top offs, 40 shots per fill. 

Really stable setup for a pistol. Could hold dead still. 

Big smiles and occasional giggles during that entire session.