.172 cal Impact X

Nothing good to report after the first outing. I tried sizing the bullets from .171 ,1715 172 and then just as they came from the mold. They were all shotgun patterns. I’m going to have to check the barrel and see if I had cut the leade too deep. The other issue might be that the barrel dimensions are too big for the bullets I’ve cast. I need to look into what I can do but for now this was a bust.

It doesn't seem to me that a 18 twist is fast enough for 24gr bullets?? Might have to go really light, like 15gr.

Many .172 firearm barrels are 1-10 and the bullets are going 3000 - 4000+ fps. 

I had a 9 twist for shooting 30gr Gold's for my 17 Remington.

Lol I dont think his barrel is 1:18..

Nothing good to report after the first outing. I tried sizing the bullets from .171 ,1715 172 and then just as they came from the mold. They were all shotgun patterns. I’m going to have to check the barrel and see if I had cut the leade too deep. The other issue might be that the barrel dimensions are too big for the bullets I’ve cast. I need to look into what I can do but for now this was a bust.

It doesn't seem to me that a 18 twist is fast enough for 24gr bullets?? Might have to go really light, like 15gr.

Many .172 firearm barrels are 1-10 and the bullets are going 3000 - 4000+ fps. 

I had a 9 twist for shooting 30gr Gold's for my 17 Remington.

Lol I dont think his barrel is 1:18..

I'm just assuming that twist because TJ lists a 18 twist in the table earlier in the thread.

Then he states he was machining a TJ liner, again assuming an 18 twist.

But, I'm certainly curious what the twist is to get that out of my mind.

It was the Brownells Redman liners that were the 9 or 10 twist, but those aren't TJ's, right?!