1701P Chrony Numbers

I had some time and good weather yesterday to work on a couple of airgun projects outside. One of those tasks was to finally chrony the 1701P. I haven't adjusted anything except the trigger on this gun. It has been shot almost daily for about 6 weeks, so pretty well broken in with 6 or 700 shots sent. This is what I got with JSB RS 7.33gr pellets:
Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 6.57.47 AM.png

So, wow! How nice is that! I am impressed and pleased to see that many shots off a roughly 45cc, unregulated air supply. Seems to operate well in the 2800 to 1800 psi range.

Do you or anyone know the out of box factory settings for the stroke and hammer spring? I've done a lot of experimenting with my 1701p and would like to get it back to factory. Much appreciated, thanks.
I'm liking this a little too much to mess with it and find out where mine is set. :rolleyes: I guess you could get close enough by filling to around 2500 psi and adjust the HS in or out until you reach a peak velocity of about 475 fps with 7.33gr pellets. To do this right, you need to keep the gun as close to 2500 psi as you can, while adjusting the HS. So you keep filling every couple or 4 shots until you hit that target velocity. Of course, you will need a chronograph as well. Perhaps someone has checked theirs and will chime in.

I had some time and good weather yesterday to work on a couple of airgun projects outside. One of those tasks was to finally chrony the 1701P. I haven't adjusted anything except the trigger on this gun. It has been shot almost daily for about 6 weeks, so pretty well broken in with 6 or 700 shots sent. This is what I got with JSB RS 7.33gr pellets:
View attachment 331373
So, wow! How nice is that! I am impressed and pleased to see that many shots off a roughly 45cc, unregulated air supply. Seems to operate well in the 2800 to 1800 psi range.
Hello @rcarlisle

Good information and thanks for sharing.

ThomasT

I'm liking this a little too much to mess with it and find out where mine is set. :rolleyes: I guess you could get close enough by filling to around 2500 psi and adjust the HS in or out until you reach a peak velocity of about 475 fps with 7.33gr pellets. To do this right, you need to keep the gun as close to 2500 psi as you can, while adjusting the HS. So you keep filling every couple or 4 shots until you hit that target velocity. Of course, you will need a chronograph as well. Perhaps someone has checked theirs and will chime in.
Thanks, but there are two adjustments in play. The stroke and hammer spring. So, unfortunately you just can't fiddle with the hammer spring without knowing the stroke settings or vice versa. Hopefully someone will chime in, or I'll try calling crosman and see if they can steer me in the right direction.

Reactions: rcarlisle
Thanks, but there are two adjustments in play. The stroke and hammer spring. So, unfortunately you just can't fiddle with the hammer spring without knowing the stroke settings or vice versa. Hopefully someone will chime in, or I'll try calling crosman and see if they can steer me in the right direction.

I finally found where I wrote down my out of box factory settings. Drum roll lol:
Hammer Spring: 1 3/4 (that's 1 3/4 turns clockwise after backing all the way out counter clockwise
Stroke: 3.5 ( that's 3.5 turns clockwise after backing all the way out counter clockwise)

It's good to know these settings as they can get out of whack from shooting the gun over time. It's fairly easy to check and I'd be more happy to provide more info if it would be helpful.

Reactions: rcarlisle
Thanks for pointing out I neglected to consider the stroke. I'd hate to steer someone wrong.
In any case, provide away! I wouldn't mind checking mine out too, and an explanation of how to do is helpful to everyone.
Just put together a quick and dirty video (unlisted on YT), so you just need the link here: